BComm or BComm/ BEco (1 Viewer)

bfmv

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

im interested in getting into asset management or some sort of risk management field. Im just wanting anyones opinion on what course (out of the above)/majors to do?. I have already recieved an offer to BComm at UNSW and deffered it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Conspirocy

HSC
If you want assest management you should probably do a Finance major.

If you want risk management you should probably do accounting as your second major.

If you want to have an exam where it isn't all multiple choice, do economics as well.

danielvh

HSC
bfmv said:
Hey guys,

im interested in getting into asset management or some sort of risk management field. Im just wanting anyones opinion on what course (out of the above)/majors to do?. I have already recieved an offer to BComm at UNSW and deffered it.

There are two main advantages of doing the double (I'm doing Eco/Commerce at UWA):
1) Allows you to do several majors. I'm doing 4 or 5, which is possible due to overlapping units. This is beneficial in terms of recruitment as it gives you a broader range of knowledge (for example, I'll be graduating with knowledge in economics, finance, management theory, marketing and international business whereas someone doing a single degree would have to just choose two of those). I couldn't tell you whether this would make a big difference with risk or asset management but I know that it's been quite beneficial in management consulting for me (helped me land an internship) but that may be because consulting is an area that values broad business knowledge.

2) It gives you more time to get pre-graduation experience under your belt before you go for grad positions. Single degree people are able to fit in 1 or 2 internships, while double degree people can fit in a few more depending on how they play their cards. There's also more time for things like part time jobs, society involvement and so on. This could let you build your employability before you try and get a grad job.

The obvious disadvantages are that it takes longer and costs more.

I'm doing it because of those 2 advantages and because I really enjoy the subject material and have no idea how I'd choose only 2 out of my 5 majors :p

Chris.

HSC
i chose to do a single degree because i hate travelling to uni, so i only have to put up with it for 1.5 more years

bfmv

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your help guys. Im thinking of doing Bcomm(accounting/finance)/ BEco (econometrics), but when i told the people at the aus school of business of what career i wanted to get into, they said i said i should have business law as one of my majors. Is it necessay to do business law?

ace

is retired
HSC
bfmv said:
Thanks for your help guys. Im thinking of doing Bcomm(accounting/finance)/ BEco (econometrics), but when i told the people at the aus school of business of what career i wanted to get into, they said i said i should have business law as one of my majors. Is it necessay to do business law?
It's not necessary to do business law. BComm Accounting/Finance is the most typical Commerce majors. For economics, I would think econometrics would be a good complement to finance.

Also remember the people at the ASB were probably admin, admin know nothing. Your majors as listed are fine* :cool:

*maybe replace accounting, but that's just cause I want to save you from pain

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
bfmv said:
Hey guys,

BCom/BEc is for suckers. The point of a combined degree is to provide a convenient means to combine different but complementary skills and knowledge, thus generating synergy benefits. Obviously BCom is too close to BEc in course structure and similarity of majors, eg finance and economics, to achieve this, and anyone who does this degree is just a witless fool. Combined degrees are "supposed" to make you think differently, eg an engineer, mathematician, etc lawyer with business smarts. Also, commerce is for the most part an academically weak area compared to the traditional and established disciplines, such as engineering, law and the sciences where you learn a lot more and have to think a lot harder, and the good people hiring know this. I could keep on ranting on, but yeah save yourself the time and money and choose wisely. I recommend BCom/BE or BSc for quantitative/programming skills, BCom/BA or similar for language skills, and BCom/LLB for bullshitting skills.

Note: I did BCom/BSc (Finance & Maths) at UNSW.

Last edited:

bfmv

HSC
N/A
ace said:
*maybe replace accounting, but that's just cause I want to save you from pain
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but whats so bad about accounting?

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
accounting is death

bfmv

HSC
N/A
what does everyone recommend instead of accounting to compliment finance?

ace

is retired
HSC
bfmv said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but whats so bad about accounting?
After doing Accounting at uni (the first year pre-requisties) I found it incredibly boring.

As an interesting combination suggestion, Actuarial, Finance and Econometrics. :cool:

bfmv

HSC
N/A
i didnt do 4u maths in HSC, how hard is it to keep up with the maths in acturial? Is it really hard?

ace

is retired
HSC
bfmv said:
i didnt do 4u maths in HSC, how hard is it to keep up with the maths in acturial? Is it really hard?
I don't do actuarial, but the purpose of university is to give you enough rope to learn the material on your own terms. I mean I do engineering, and its nothing like what I did in school, yet I progress along fine.

Note, with commerce, you don't have to elect your major right away. You could try it out but if it's not for you, just elect a new major :cool:

bfmv

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,
ive been thinking and im pretty much set on just the single degree. Now im thinking of doing acturial as one of my majors but im not sure which of accounting or finance would be best as my second major. Any opinions?

Thanks

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
wanna be an accountant? do acct.

not sure what you want to do? do fins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)