BE (Mechatronics) / ME (Biomedical) Engineering (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just replying to a pm here:

username said:
I was just wondering in terms of engineering courses, how does it work with doubling degrees. For example, at the moment one of my biggest interests is working with medical / biology applcations- including prosthetics, or even medical imagery equipment, bionic eyes, that sort of stuff. I'm also interested in the robotic side of this stuff, which i guess comes into medical machines, and maybe prosthetics. So would I be most advantaged to do biomedical engineering, or mechatronics? Further to this, do you know if at USYD or UNSW if they allow minoring- for example coming out with a masters in biomedical and bachelor in mechatronics or vice versa?

Also in terms of doubling degrees, would it be advantageous, or just a waste to do masters of whatever engineering degree, and then bachelor of say commerce, business or project management? Would that help give an edge in terms of skills and knowledge? And what about doubling with medical science- I've heard this degree is a bit of a waste, only really used for kids who wanna jump into med, but for my previous example, would it be a help?

Thanks in advance,

username
Well you are in luck as UNSW does offer a Masters in Biomedical Engineering and Bachelor of Engineering (other) which endures 5 years as a combined program at UNSW.

As for USyd, I have never been aware of their entirety of programs, neither have I bothered.

This process is not exactly giving you a minor however. I do undertake a minor, but in total this minor that I do is only about 4-6 courses worth (which is just 1-1.5 semesters worth of work).

Minor's are more so like a short introduction and will only cover a taste of which you get from first year (if the minor is in something completely different) or maybe second year and in one exception I can think of, third and fourth year type work (which is if you do a minor in something related with overlapping content). Minors are only offered under special program circumstances. The only program I know of that allows for minoring is BE ME (Electrical).

However, the BE (other)/ ME Biomedical Engineering is a program where you obtain an accreditation in both. Not sure exactly how it works, however I think the extra year is to cover a second thesis on Biomedical Engineering (your masters thesis) which is related to your other engineering stream in the combined program.

Well for starters, no uni offers you to do a masters in engineering and a bachelor in commerce combined.

To note, you can do B Engineering/B Commerce. However, do note that your B Engineering will dominate and you will only do roughly 2 years of Commerce courses, as you are only offered one Commerce major to do.

In terms of skills and knowledge, it is possible depending on where you go. However, I am not too familiar with Commerce so all I can say is that it would help, but I'm not too sure to what extent (and vice versa).

Well I know nothing about Medical Science (albeit I don't know all that much about Science programs), so I can't really respond to that point.

Below is the Mechatronics and Biomedical program at UNSW. I had this told to me before, and I will tell you now, that the UNSW handbook is "your best friend" when wanting to know about official programs while you are in high school. When you get to uni, each faculty, or even school, will have their own program setting to suit your needs.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3688.html

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
Also to add, you can have any major of your undergraduate degree. Also for the program, you must maintain a credit average to continue to your masters

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
No? So I can do Civil and then get a Masters in biomed? lol.
I realise I shouldn't have said any.

Most***** like chemical, mechanical, biomed, Mechatronic, etc etc. Not some like civil, mining. Check the unsw handbook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)