Beijing vs Athens vs Sydney opening ceremony (1 Viewer)

Which was had the best opening ceremony?

• Total voters

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Which one do you think was the best? I remember watching Athens and thinking, "wow, this ceremony is definitely way better than Sydney", but I didn't feel the jump between Athens and Beijing was as big. It was enough though, and the awesome projector effects were enough to rate it better than Athens imo. Which do you think was the best? Sydney 2000 included for patriotic members.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
That giant LCD screen in the centre was awesome. I feel the theme of the Beijing opening ceremony was more symbolic though.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Snaykew said:
That giant LCD screen in the centre was awesome. I feel the theme of the Beijing opening ceremony was more symbolic though.
Oh, what was the theme?

Athens was something along the lines of the olympics returning back to its origins right? "one world one dream" what does that mean exactly?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
More like Atlanta 1996 (not really)

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
I liked the paper theme where there were the dancers who drew a picture, then the kids who painted it then the athletes who walked over it with colour to finish off the picture. I liked the umbrellas too with all different peoples. But of course that has to be done lol. Except in Munich.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
always.dreaming said:
Oh, what was the theme?

Athens was something along the lines of the olympics returning back to its origins right? "one world one dream" what does that mean exactly?

It means that the Greeks was the first in the world when it comes to gay sex.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I refuse to give my vote to those gooks, especially considering how they'll initiate world war three in a few decades time.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I thought it was an arrogant and pig-headed opening. No trace of humour - just an attempt to dwarf the individual with a vain and bloated display of neo-totalitarianism.

SID-I-NEE

Dongle

HSC
Iron said:
I thought it was an arrogant and pig-headed opening. No trace of humour - just an attempt to dwarf the individual with a vain and bloated display of neo-totalitarianism.

SID-I-NEE
I think you're reading into it too much!:eek:

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
TIRED of COLLECTIVISM in all its forms in THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE EARTH, THE UNVIERSE, THE MILKY WAY,

ALL ITS FORMS

EVER

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
AM I!?
Did you know that Speer JR. was/is one of the key architects hired to rebuild Beijing for the Olympics?

Oh it fires the imagination!

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
Well, if you want something done right, you get the Germans in. And Speer was an amazing architect and a very interesting figure in general.

I think that a lot of people in Australia would be truely horrified as just how many high ranking officials in the sixties and seventies were decently high up members of the Nazi Party, and just how many of the current German upper class has a dubious past.

That being said, you've got to distinguish between Nazi and German soldiery, as 18 million Germans were mobilised to fight the war, almost all Germans have a direct ancestor that fought in some capacity.

On the topic, I would say Beijing was the best. Despite my nationalism wanting to say otherwise, I don't remember that much of Sydney's at all, despite actually being in the stadium.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
AM I!?
Did you know that Speer JR. was/is one of the key architects hired to rebuild Beijing for the Olympics?

Oh it fires the imagination!
i suppose Speer could not match the adorableness of Barbie or Gehlen

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
The Sydney one was embarrassingly shit, I have no idea what you guys are on about.
Giant stuffed kangaroos on bikes. Nikki Webster. Shit, is that the best we could do?

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
Well, we have more history than China to draw upon.

It's just that ours consists of 50,000 years of killing kangaroos, sixty years of being a place fit only for criminals, and then being content to sit back and chill for the next century and a half.

We can't exactly compete with the Great Wall of China, the compass and the printing press.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
We were humble, humourous, warm, welcoming. It was the ideal Olympics, not muscle flexing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)