Being Born Gay? (1 Viewer)

DannyT23

HSC
Today my class had an arugment, whether you are born gay.. or u develop into a game from your surroundings... a good debate.. wat do you all think...

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
I think its both.

There are some genetic factors, and the rest is a product of your life and surroundings.

DannyT23

HSC
hey can i ask ya something.... do u have naked pictures of ur gf

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I havent heard of any solid evidence that backs up the 'Gay Gene' theory or any proof as to how it is possible to be born gay.

IMO. Its not genetic or biological.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Mike Ockisard said:
then if it's environmental, and not genetic/biological at all, how is it that everyone brought up in the same surroundings doesnt have tthe same sexual orientation?
Well no two people are brought up exactly the same.

Different parents, different perspectives and takes on life, different beliefs and developments.

If its biological in the sense that the brain is different between homosexual and heterosexuals then that can certainly be a reason. But like many claims from scientists its very hard to prove - simply look at the relationship between mobile phones and cancer, pretty much everything is debateable and probably wont be proven.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
There's cause & effect relations, and effect and effect relations - make sure to differentiate.

I believe in God, and that's probably about as close to the truth anyone's going to get debating nature vs. nurture of homosexual urges. I'm sure if I was brought up being told men were hot, that I'd think they were hot. Just like I'm attracted to hot skinny women, not peasant stock.

But who's to say the gay people aren't just missing the "straight" gene?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
do you think intelligence is environmental? ive never thought about it but its interesting

i personally dont think that intelligence (which i define as the ability to retain information) is environmental - the environmental factors which would effect it though, would be things like attitude towards learning and stuff

that's my take on it
I don't think it's environmental, I know that it's partially environmental (based on twin adoption studies). Intelligence isn't just the ability to retain information - there's a fluid and crystalised component to it.
For instance, you'll find that identical twins who grow up seperated often have larger differences in IQ than non-identical twins (the genetic make-up of non-identical twins is exactly the same as brother/sisters even born 10 years apart as they're non-zygotal) who are raised together.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
do you think intelligence is environmental? ive never thought about it but its interesting

i personally dont think that intelligence (which i define as the ability to retain information) is environmental - the environmental factors which would effect it though, would be things like attitude towards learning and stuff

that's my take on it
It's my guess that intelligence is both environmental and genetic/biological.
As is homosexuality.
As is skin colouring.
Etcetera, etcetera...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
can you be born heterosexual?

I don't think children from a young age actually are sure of who they're meant to be attracted to if you were to dismiss any influence by the media. I mean, were you conscious of whether you were attracted to which sex when you were 3? No, you didn't really give a shit.

And in regards to social conditioning, such as watching disney moves, or movies for that matter, or any sort of media, we are conditioned in such a way to understand that being heterosexual was the way. So here is the question - what influences homosexuals to be homosexuals to begin with?

A common answer by most of us adolescents is family, abuse, or too much "fathering" or "mothering". I can safely say that the majority of gay people that I know (being a good 50+ amount) did not come from unusual families. And when it comes to "mothering" or "fathering" someone too much, it doesn't seem to justify much at all. I can see how mothering a boy can make the boy more attached to his mother, feel less inclined to leave home or be independent, but not suddenly turn for men?

So please explain when you think it's environmental.

robo-andie

HSC
KeypadSDM said:
But who's to say the gay people aren't just missing the "straight" gene?
I would like to know that actually, is there any scientific research done which supports the existence of a straight gene?

If you don't have a straight gene you can conclude that sexual preference isn't genetic (which I think they have already done??).

I personally think it is a combination of nature and nurture. Just like handedness.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
There's cause & effect relations, and effect and effect relations - make sure to differentiate.

I believe in God, and that's probably about as close to the truth anyone's going to get debating nature vs. nurture of homosexual urges. I'm sure if I was brought up being told men were hot, that I'd think they were hot. Just like I'm attracted to hot skinny women, not peasant stock.
So you think the environment to bring up a homosexual involves a community or social conditioning that constantly affirms that men are attractive?

Do you honestly think that's how men turn gay? Because someone told them over and over that men are attractive? You've considered your own social upbringing, such as how you are told to be attracted to men, and I presume its through movies and parents, etc, so what about the homosexual conditioning? Who does it then? Parents and movies? You need to discuss this further.

davin

HSC
N/A
There are plenty of celebs in that "you're supposed to think they're hot" catagory that i've never thought are hot. Just being told it didn't effect it. And I know that my brother and I, raised in the same house and all, have different views on whats attractive in women. In short, I don't think that there is a simple thing of that one is raised to be gay or something like that.

davin

HSC
N/A
robo-andie said:
I would like to know that actually, is there any scientific research done which supports the existence of a straight gene?

If you don't have a straight gene you can conclude that sexual preference isn't genetic (which I think they have already done??).

I personally think it is a combination of nature and nurture. Just like handedness.
i always thought lefties were defective.

seriously though, i don't think that handedness would be the same, in that i don't think that there is an innate element of nuture to it, unless you want to get into forcing someone to change hands.

also, its tough to say there's no gene.....scientists really aren't sure on what everything in the human genome does

robo-andie

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
So you think the environment to bring up a homosexual involves a community or social conditioning that constantly affirms that men are attractive?

Do you honestly think that's how men turn gay? Because someone told them over and over that men are attractive?
Precisely!
I know my Father was always "wow, she's hot, you should marry someone like that one day"*... yeah, that's not going to happen, I'm not a fan of the boob despite how often I was exposed to it.

* or something very similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)