Being called into work. (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
shinji said:
Another note though, is when they ask you to stay back during work..
This happened to me once. . i was working a 10 hour shift (woolies; deli) and then they asked me to stay back till 10 because they desperately needed me to. stupid ol' me agreed and i had to open the following morning...
Are they allowed to do that?

The time between two shifts has to be 10hrs.
Sometimes when we're desperate we get a bit dodgy and do a 9-9.5hr break.

If I was in your position, I'd be like fuck you.. YOU did the rosters wrong, YOU couldnt find another person to fill in the time difference ahead of schedule, YOU should cop it.

Hence, when I refused to do a 5:30am open shift when they asked me only a few hours beforehand [I was out and wont be home till late].. the 2nd in charge got stuck with that shift..

I dont really care. I honestly think that it's better the 2nd in charge got stuck with that shift because it's their mistake and she's paying for it. It teaches them to not make the same mistake again. Besides, I've been copping random weekly 5:30am shifts for the last 2 months before the event.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
They can't.

Period.

(well, I think they might have to pay you penalty rates or something if they do it by accident? I can't remember).

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
My job is cool. We arrange all our shift swaps etc amongst ourselves. Of course, then if it's a last minute emergency thing and you can't find someone, you're screwed. But it doesn't happen too often.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I hate it when you have a whole nice productive day planned, like catch up on some sleep, do some shopping, go to the gym, clean up the bathroom etc

and then they call you before you even have a chance to catch up on that sleep you desperately wanted.

I know that when I really really did not want to work I'd just turn my phone on silent and not look at it all day. If they asked, I'd always say yes. Money is nice but TIME is even nicer.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
scarybunny said:
I hate it when you have a whole nice productive day planned, like catch up on some sleep, do some shopping, go to the gym, clean up the bathroom etc

and then they call you before you even have a chance to catch up on that sleep you desperately wanted.

I know that when I really really did not want to work I'd just turn my phone on silent and not look at it all day. If they asked, I'd always say yes. Money is nice but TIME is even nicer.
amen to that. that always happens to me, not necessarily for work either, it'll just be that someone will have the nerve to knock on the door at 7am and i'll get to talk to crazed mormons instead of sleep.

i also love how (this was particularly to do with work but everyone else does it too) they probe you. you say you're busy, they ask what you're doing. so you say you have an appointment. they ask what for. you say doctor. they ask whats wrong with you. you say aids just to shut them up. then they yell at you about how that's not funny and what are you really doing. so you tell them something else and it starts all over again.

seriously, this is why i love SMS so much. you can ignore messages you don't want to answer, unlike a phone conversation where just randomly hanging up on someone isn't really the done thing.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
seriously, this is why i love SMS so much. you can ignore messages you don't want to answer, unlike a phone conversation where just randomly hanging up on someone isn't really the done thing.
That's actually a good idea. Next time they call, you can always pretend you have bad reception, repeat loudly "HELLO?? WHAT? HELLO??! I CAN'T HEAR YOU??" and then hang up. Then if they have your home phone number on record you will need to run to it and take off the receiver so they can't get to you. Problem solved.

Evilo

HSC
scarybunny said:

I just say "no thanks" - its really that simple

Having said that, i rarely say no - mainly cos a day off here includes serious sitting on buttocks, and well thats about it - rather have $120 in my pocket :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)