Being shortsighted....how worse can it get?? (2 Viewers)

Fruits Basket

HSC
It can get pretty bad I guess, but depending on how old your friend is, it should settle down soon. I'm short sighted and have been wearing glasses since 2002 and have been told my sight should settle around when I'm 18...so next september....

SMP213

HSC
Mine's about -2.5 and -2.75 but I'm still half-blind if I don't have my glasses on. If someone (that I know) waves to me from a distance, and I don't have my glasses on, I wouldn't be able to wave back because I have no idea who the hell that person is until I'm up close. I have contacts but I don't wear them all the time, just for sport or dinner parties etc.

Only when I read a book or magazine then do I take my glasses off. Even if I'm about 60-70 cm away form the computer screen, I cannot read anything. So yeah
OMG! im th same!!
its bad aye! i hate it, though i wear contacts now instead of glasses because im really careless and broke 3 glasses already..lol!
but yer, dont worry, i know exaclty what you mean!! :)

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
Does wearing glasses make your eyesight any worse? When I wear mine for long periods of time my eyes get used to them but I hope they don'ot make them more 'lazy'.
And my optometrist is totally against laser eye surgery. Apparently the shape of your eye changes regularly throughout life so burning bits off isn't smart. But, that said, my aunty has recently had it done and hasn't regretted it!

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
im a 5 in both eyes
im pretty blind my glasses are beer goggles to those woth 20/20 vision

Pace_T

HSC
its cute when girls have bad eye sight. + glasses are so hot

i even try to convince people to get glasses even when theyve got 20/20 vision :p

3p1c f41lur3

HSC
oh its not bad at all... i cant even see my mum's face across the street... i blame the midnight PR0N >.> (no regrets tho!)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Being shortsighted would be better then having no vision... People should be grateful..
Yeah true, i'm shortsighted by 1.75 but i don't see why (lol mind the pun) it is such a big thing when you can just wear glasses, contacts or get LASIC when you're over 21

rozymisty

HSC
Being short sighted can come with risks. You are at greater risk of getting a retinal tear...which i did back in 07. if you notice any increase in flashes, floaters, or a sense of a 'curtain' coming over your vision, get straight to the ER or your optometrist coz you could have a tear. if its in the centre of your eye, its even more important coz the macula is hard to reattach.

Only found it out by chance coz mum had been bugging me to go back to the eye doc for new glasses and the dr was like ah do you see flashes and stuff floating around somethings, and im like ah yeah sometimes, but mainly if i get up to quick.

I could tell by her look and pause that it wasnt good, and she said that yeah i had a retinal tear in my left eye. I lost my shit naturally, being only 23 and having being told you need immediate eye surgery to save your sight.

I went the next morning to the hospital and the doc had a look and said that it appeared that the tear had been there for a few wks or so, so it wasnt so urgent that we operated, so i had tomake the decision if i wanted to go ahead and risk the operation or not. I decided to wait. That was like 3 days before my bday, in 2007, nearly 2yrs ago.

So i had to go back to the specilalist every so often and one day i decided to go in earlier and he looked at me and sighed and siad that it was time to operate...once again i broke down and swore lol. thankfully i wasnt as nervous this time.

Most of the retinal tear ops, they just sedate you and give a block into your eye, but i was like there is no way in hell that i am being awake while you are poking around in my eye lol. When mum and the anaethetist tried to convince me otherwise i started geting scared.

So eyah its been just over 18months since ive had the operation....I had a scleral buckle which is permanent, gas bubble and laser done to that eye. the worse part was having the bubble coz i had to be 45degrees back for a whole wk, and sleep 45degrees for a month after that, and the stitches hurt like hell, wanted to scratch my eye but couldnt. Oh and one of the eye drops made me throw up.

So yeah after that operation, my left eye is even worse, and my right one is ok. I think the left one is 8.25 and the right is 7.75.
I cant read anything without my glasses, even if its a hand away from me, thats who blind i am. But thankfully my housemate is even worse than me lol.

rozymisty

HSC
I am starting to wear contacts coz of clearer vision. I wore them to work the other night and they were like oh you've seen what patients have come in with after wearing contacts and im like oh yeah for sure, I make sure i clean them very well. I work in the eye ward at work, and we get contact lens wearers in from time to time with like bacterial/fungal keratitis,...eye infections..not good.

laser surgery is risky, it can make your vision worse, get dry eyes and other stuff. Plus you got to remember that when you hit 40, your eye starts its age related decline.....

Im 25now, and ive had glasses since i was 7....and my vision has slowly been decreasing, until recent years but back in 2001, the other eye doc said it should stabilise around 25...god i hope so!!!

with my script being so high 8.25 and whatever, ive been concerned about if i can drive or not, ive been told i can, you can get to over 10 and be able to drive. As long as you can see the top line on the charts apparently your fine.

Smeegen999

HSC
i have one eye -9.5 and the other -11. I first got glasses when I was 9 and have got progressively worse ever since.

really want to get laser surgery but not sure if i'm a suitable canditate cos of how short-sighted I am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)