Belonging - 2 supp texts okay! (1 Viewer)

5233andy

HSC
Maths and English are binary opposites. English allows the profession of individual ideas, whilst Maths does not. Whoever's initial juxtaposition of the two for the purpose of comparative theory must have a a mindset that is utterly cold, like that of Maths. You exhibit a case of severe narrow-mindedness, unable to make any sense about what the English subject is all about.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Maths and English are binary opposites. English allows the profession of individual ideas, whilst Maths does not. Whoever's initial juxtaposition of the two for the purpose of comparative theory must have a a mindset that is utterly cold, like that of Maths. You exhibit a case of severe narrow-mindedness, unable to make any sense about what the English subject is all about.
Actually, maths is all about ideas as well. There are many ways/ideas to solve the same problem in maths and you are able to express them on paper.Going by what you said, only narrow minded people can do maths. But if that is the case, how could new formulas etc etc be developed if individuals did not try to "think outside of the square" and search for new expressions and ideas?

u serious? best you could come up with?
you might want to turn that UAI aim upside down, it seems more likely
Ah, the troll is insulting my insult despite his initial insult being an extremely lamer one.
Even if i did, it'd probably be more than you'd ever get.

Now let's get back on topic instead of just flaming each other:
Those who did 2 or more related texts: You guys did the wrong thing so get over it. Whether you get penalised or not it won't that much of a difference seeing as it will probably be horrible in the 1st place as you guys didn't have enough of a brain to properly interpret the question. Just stop making excuses so everyone can move on.

Those who did only text: You'll probably get a better mark. Even though BoS says they won't penalise or say marks will only read the 1st related, they probably will anyway and even if they don't, the ones that did more than 1 text will probably be substandard anyway.

Last edited:

yamateh

HSC
o ouch, you got me good, pointing out the obvious
boy do i feel silly
clever clever girl
sorry your words are being muffled, your head appears to be too far up your own arse
why would u even post this. how does this help your arguement in any way

if ur gonna resort to ad hominems, plz gtfo

kthnxbai

LChia

HSC
I'm sure you'll agree that both subjects involve the answering of the set question correctly; and therein lies the comparison.

Whether the question is straightforward or "allows the profession of individual ideas", surely the responses, in both Maths and English, are based upon what the question is asking for.

anagram-

HSC
Actually, maths is all about ideas as well. There are many ways/ideas to solve the same problem in maths and you are able to express them on paper.Going by what you said, only narrow minded people can do maths. But if that is the case, how could new formulas etc etc be developed if individuals did not try to "think outside of the square" and search for new expressions and ideas?
you're fucking delusional. maths is not at all about "expressing" ideas. are you fucking serious? how could new FORMULAS be developed? are you aware that most of these "formulas" used in maths today are several hundred years old and there was no "square" to begin with, for people to start thinking outside?!!!

HAHA wow now i've heard it all ...

5233andy

HSC
Tell me how you have been able to use number to profess your individual opinion about the politics of this day and age. Tell me how you have utilised numbers allow the citizen, of this day and age, to uphold the notion of individualism.

My Ext. English teacher said that the Arts is the real product of human intelligence. So if the AOS paper was tomorrow, would you use your Maths textbook as a supplementary text?

One can appreciate those who developed and nurtured Maths, but it is a mortal sin to make an attempt to amalgamate it with the English subject.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
you're fucking delusional. maths is not at all about "expressing" ideas. are you fucking serious? how could new FORMULAS be developed? are you aware that most of these "formulas" used in maths today are several hundred years old and there was no "square" to begin with, for people to start thinking outside?!!!

You do realise that maths is involved with many other disciplines such as science right?

But of course, following your logic Einstein was suddenly came up with the idea that light didn't need a medium for propagation and all those time/mass/length dilation or contractions equations because he was following everyone else that believed light traveled through the "aether". Mhmmm yes, maths requires no thinking at all.

Tell me how you have been able to use number to profess your individual opinion about the politics of this day and age. Tell me how you have utilised numbers allow the citizen, of this day and age, to uphold the notion of individualism.

My Ext. English teacher said that the Arts is the real product of human intelligence. So if the AOS paper was tomorrow, would you use your Maths textbook as a supplementary text?

One can appreciate those who developed and nurtured Maths, but it is a mortal sin to make an attempt to amalgamate it with the English subject.
As mentioned before, maths is involved in numerous disciplines. It may not express views on topics such as "individualism", but it does allow one to express how one believes the world and for that matter universe works. Actually, maths text books are a well of information in regard to the history of maths.

I was not trying to "almagate it with the English subject"; my entire point in the 1st place was to say that you actually do need to think in maths. The entire point of the statement that prompted me to bring up this view was the idea of numbers not being sufficient enough to indicate how many related texts.

Perhaps instead of using the number "1" using the word "ONE" would help. One means one.

//thread.

Last edited:

cdiddy7

HSC
5233andy and anagram are NARROW-MINDED MORONS
you guys should gtfo and do some study
your gonna need it if you want to get an atar > 3.
annabackwards is right
in any subject
you answer the question
if you used two texts
you didnt answer the question
so say bye to 99.95 NERDS!
case closed

anagram-

HSC
You do realise that maths is involved with many other disciplines such as science right?

But of course, following your logic Einstein was suddenly came up with the idea that light didn't need a medium for propagation and all those time/mass/length dilation or contractions equations because he was following everyone else that believed light traveled through the "aether". Mhmmm yes, maths requires no thinking at all.

As mentioned before, maths is involved in numerous disciplines. It may not express views on topics such as "individualism", but it does allow one to express how one believes the world and for that matter universe works. Actually, maths text books are a well of information in regard to the history of maths.

I was not trying to "almagate it with the English subject"; my entire point in the 1st place was to say that you actually do need to think in maths. The entire point of the statement that prompted me to bring up this view was the idea of numbers not being sufficient enough to indicate how many related texts.

Perhaps instead of using the number "1" using the word "ONE" would help. One means one.

//thread.
are you trying to impress me? i do physics as well. and don't try and backtrack now. you were specifically talking about mathematics. perms and combs is not a topic found in physics

unless you can impress me with a relevant comparison again?

p.s. to the guy from bishop druitt college ... where the fuck's that?

anywayy i'm out, take it easy and good luck for the rest of it!!

tku336

HSC
Some people in our school did 2. They're smart enough that they covered all bases and wrote enough on both supplementaries. You can still get 15 with 2, it just becomes harder.

chaldoking

HSC
annabackwards is right
in any subject
you answer the question
if you used two texts
case closed
You are obviously suffering from a state of cognitive paucity.

HSC

ffs will you shut the fuck up?

you know what shut the fuck up mean?

5233andy

HSC
annabackwards is right
in any subject
you answer the question
if you used two texts
case closed
Oh hilarious, don't you think?

WHen you have nothing to support yourself, that is what you resort to - making attacks on behalf of yourself. Does that float your boat? Because if it does, you really need to reconsider what type of human being you are. If you don't like the English subject and what it upholds, then don't try and make it calculative.

Then again, context shapes values. Thus I really do feel sorry about your upbringing... You poor soul...

qaz0981

HSC

maths is everywhere. maths is the date of your birth, the age you are, how much that shirt you're wearing costs, its the reason the bridge you drive over to school can stay up, its why your roof doesn't collapse on you, its the thing you need to know to be on time for exams.
yes, english is very important. but you can't disregard maths, either. maths exists even if we don't make it officially maths... there has and will always be maths.

cdiddy7

HSC
I agree with your signature chaldoking
you think, therefore, you know
and obviously you dont think
so you dont know

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
are you trying to impress me? i do physics as well. and don't try and backtrack now. you were specifically talking about mathematics. perms and combs is not a topic found in physics

unless you can impress me with a relevant comparison again?

p.s. to the guy from bishop druitt college ... where the fuck's that?

anywayy i'm out, take it easy and good luck for the rest of it!!
No, wasn't trying to impress you. I was actually hoping you did physics as it'd make my example clearer to you. Oh and yes i was talking about different interpretations of perm/combo questions asked in maths, but then someone said something about how maths is completely different to english as english is the expression of ideas whereas maths does not allow one to do so or something along those lines. As a reply to that i brought up how you do think have to think about maths (in general). You can go back through my posts if you don't believe me :)

I'm sorry for trying to get back on topic instead of getting offtrack. If you really want to hear about the interconnectedness of english and maths, perhaps you should make a new thread as more people will reply.

I shall not bother wasting time anymore time on this thread until my exams are over as i should be studying. So for now, i bid you all adieu and wish you everyone that was sane enough to do only 1 related text good luck with any remaining exams :D

cdiddy7

HSC
Oh hilarious, don't you think?

WHen you have nothing to support yourself, that is what you resort to - making attacks on behalf of yourself. Does that float your boat? Because if it does, you really need to reconsider what type of human being you are. If you don't like the English subject and what it upholds, then don't try and make it calculative.
I do not recall ever saying I do not like English. I enjoy the subject as I do Maths and Physics and all my subjects. But you are arguing that to answer a question, you must disregard it. You are also the one making attacks.
The whole reason for the Board of Studies saying "ONE related text" was to weed out memorizers and regurgitators. And now, they are saying its okay to spit out a memorized essay, because you'll get marked the same. It is unfair to those that read the question, that did the right thing and used their knowledge rather than pure memory.
And also, Bishop Druitt College is on the Mid North Coast. I have alot of respect for Sydney kids, as they are the forerunners of our cohort. But, some of you "people" seem to think that there are no schools outside of Sydney, and definitely no school's worthy of note. This is incredibly narrow-minded, and I cannot wait to see how far you will go with views such as that.
Now feel free, make an attack on what I say. Please, make my day.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Halloween brings out the trolls

I have a theory that mas and anagram are the same person... :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)