Belonging - any ideas for belonging texts? Movies, novels??? (1 Viewer)

Cataclysm

HSC
I'm also looking for additional material related to belonging.. I can't do poetry, because f***ing Skrzynecki already wrote 7 for me to read and analyse..

Stupid teacher only gave us the weekend to search for additional material, so it has to be quite short if it's a book.. Unless I've already read it.

So yeah, bumping for help :(

HSC
Use texts you are enthusiastic about.

films/tv shows.
books.
songs.
plays.
artworks.

surely you can find a song and a film/tv show.

if you use visual/aural texts, it shows you can analyse those aspects of texts as well. :eek:

Cataclysm

HSC
I already know that it's better to use texts that aren't the same media as the one you're using, but my problem lies in the fact that I have no texts that I can think of that articulate belonging or not belonging in anyway possible.

And on a side note, my English Teacher would rather us not use a song, since the structure is similar to that of a poem. Plus, around 80% of my music is instrumental, so I'm not sure that they'd like an interpretation of sound texture, scales, use of beats and how this relates to belonging (instrumental music is much more subjective that lyrical music or any kind of text).

I'm basically looking for something like a movie and a picture. I also need to know the authors names (as it is part of the assignment, interviewing Skrzynecki and the two other composers about the concept of belonging being a universal human experience). If any of you have anything to suggest to me (preferably today), then I will be forever grateful! :)

Last edited:

__moonriver

HSC
Belonging? I'm sorry, but have you ever heard of an Area of Study more rediculous than "Belonging"? What were you thinking, BoS?

But in all seriousness, if you're stuck for extra texts, read 'Infidel: My Life' by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. In short, it's about a Muslim woman's assimilation into Western culture and discovering her identity when she flourishes into an outspoken and liberal-minded political activist. It's fantastic, and there are all sorts of connections to belonging.

You could also do 'Mean Girls'. But haven't we all seen that five thousand times?

groovygirl

HSC
hey

im doing Little Miss Sunshine & The Mending Wall by Robert Frost for my related texts for my upcoming HSC oral assessment task with my class text "The Simple Gift"

we just had our hsc english half yearly exam so we also have to do a speech for the hsc its compulsary and weigh 15% towards the hsc

Luxxey

candied queen
HSC
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T. S. Eliot. It's my favourite poem and is a wonder for the belonging module, and there's plenty of notes out there on it if you struggle with it. I'd do it myself next year if I didn't have it as an AoS text.

3kb0ae92

HSC
N/A
Hi
i'm looking for additional texts too! Our prescribed text was romulus my father and i was thinking about doing the movie freedom writers as an additional text but i need something else and i thought maybe a poem cause it is quick to read so has anyone got a decent list of belonging poems or even maybe song lyrics?

amberangel

Anonymous
HSC
It's not really that hard to find things about belonging, really, it's whether you can look deeply enough into it.

I found A Dream of Stars by Brian Caswell to have a lot of short stories that center around belonging, generally in family or other personal relationships. Otherwise, you can go for film. :\ Titanic can be about belonging - there are the differences of class structure, whathisface trying to find some sort of sense of belonging with the first class when he's only third class... meh.

:\

matrey

HSC
hey go onto insidebreak 09 it has tones of related material
check it out

keymort

HSC
You can really do anything this is just me brainstorming for 2 minutes:
SONGS:
Beatles songs => The fool on the hill, Across the Universe, Yellow Submarine (ew)
Stevie Wonder => Isn't she Lovely, Sir Duke

MOVIES:
Serenity (easy)
Starwars (less easy)
Same River Twice
Chronicles of Riddick

Books:
All of them. You'll find pretty much every fiction book in existance has a dilema of belonging for its main character.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Hints for finding a belonging text:

1. Go to where your DVD's are kept

2. Pick One

3. This movie will be about belonging and can be used as a text

Basically, if the story has a character, then it can be related to belonging.

Yesty

HSC
hmm for a text i came up with Rowan of Rin. And another is Artemis Fowl: the lost colony, though not the whole text, just the bit of the little imp call No1. He doesnt belong because he isnt warping ( a kind of reaching puberty thing for demons), and etc etc so on and yeah. It kinda relates to Pete Skrzynecki when his at school, he doesnt feel he belongs to it, nor the religion. In a way that could work.

Batman2009

HSC
I got mine today due the 3rd && i have no idea what to use.

But as a hint I've been told that a book is easier to analyse. & um i was maybe think of doing Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta or a song - A Place in This World by Taylor Swift.

Gahh help please...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)