belonging creative story (1 Viewer)

chantelle-r

HSC
thanks Scinery, yeah i know its hard not to think of something that other people will do, cool thats a good idea, good luck.

absorber

HSC
ignore all the morons here, it's fine to do that, as long as all the belonging shit is fairly subtle yet immediate to the marker, whether belonging or a lack of, both are acceptable

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you can't find a "unique" story, then just work to write it extremely well. This way you'll maximise marks your marks :)

cactuar

HSC
1. yes thats fine
2. no you dont need to be 'chosen for an extension' at ANY school. some schools may say to people, we believe you should pickup extension 2 english and say to people who arent as good 'we believe you wouldnt be able to keep up with the coursework and advise you do not pick up that extension subject'. thats how it works.
3. i too think that concept will be overused, no matter how/where/when it happened to you, it will sound cliched, not in a bad way per se, but that kind of thing happens to nearly everyone and is very easy to relate to. but i guess that as long as you write it well then it wont really matter.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
1. yes thats fine
2. no you dont need to be 'chosen for an extension' at ANY school. some schools may say to people, we believe you should pickup extension 2 english and say to people who arent as good 'we believe you wouldnt be able to keep up with the coursework and advise you do not pick up that extension subject'. thats how it works.
3. i too think that concept will be overused, no matter how/where/when it happened to you, it will sound cliched, not in a bad way per se, but that kind of thing happens to nearly everyone and is very easy to relate to. but i guess that as long as you write it well then it wont really matter.
At my school you have to be invited to participate in the accelerated maths program and accepted into the history, english and maths extension classes. They don't usually reject people but if they do you can't really do anything about it...

LauraHLH

HSC
At my school, anyone could pick extension. Kids then got pulled out of class and "councilled" if the teacher teaching the course didn't think they could do it. They could still c hoose to do the course, but it rarely happens that they go against the teacher.

And my English teacher said today that if we could take our story out of our context, and write it about someone really old or really young, or from a different part of the world, then we'd be more likely to avoid cliches and generic belonging. Subvert a stereotype, or try and tie not belonging and belonging together.

As a rule, teenage angst is overdone, and even though your experience is different to others, others will change theirs to make it more dramatic/fit the AOS a little better, and then they might infringe on what you are writing. Really just put yourself out there and let the examiners see that your range extends past the here, now and known.

shrapnelle

HSC
Friendships, familys, adoptions, and simple interpersonal relationship situations are going to be flogged to death. So don't bother.
nonsense, thats only if u write about it to personally, carrying on about how bad ur life is blah blah blah. if u r going to do this u must write about how it highlights significant themes such as culture, key points of society, importance of relationships blah blah. have a good motiff running though the whole thing and u shud b fine.

nifkeh

HSC
Maybe at your school - but at all the top schools, only the Top 20 are allowed to do it. [Out of the 200 that do Advanced, and the 100 that do English Extension 1].
I'm just on the other side of the lowers and anyone in our year gets to choose it

nifkeh

HSC
1. yes thats fine
my friend goes to ruse, only top 90 people in the grade can do 4U maths

for SBHS, top 90-100 can only do 4U maths. below that, you got no chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)