Belonging question for assessment! lord of the rings (1 Viewer)

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
ok i have just watched the beginning 20 mins of LOTR fellowship of the ring and we are asked to comment on how techniques convey bilbo's belonging to the community, and to establish that belonging is a central motif in L OTR.... any suggestions?:headbang:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
the fact that he is respected and well known shows an understanding and familiarity that comes with belonging.

what else happens in the first 20 minutes?

i'll be able to help more if you give me a little reminder of what that entails

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
well, it pretty much starts with bilbo presenting a montage of the shire life, then goes into Gandalfs arrival, then the party, then Bilbo and his ring and then he packs up and leaves (not a huge LOTR fan... but want to do well so will suck it up :p)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
jessmooka said:
well, it pretty much starts with bilbo presenting a montage of the shire life, then goes into Gandalfs arrival, then the party, then Bilbo and his ring and then he packs up and leaves (not a huge LOTR fan... but want to do well so will suck it up :p)
ahah fair enough. yeah i know quite a few people who are doing it.

well the montage is an effective technique because it shows the group experience of living in the shire, what everyone is doing. this shows the belonging that comes with similar conditions.

Gandalfs arrival from memory shows them like being heaps freindly and stuff when they first see each other. the informality and affection they show, shows the belonging between them.

when bilbo leaves the party is he like wanting to? or not. i cant remember that bit. if he wants to leave it shows that he has a sense of not belonging with the people because he feels the need to relocate. if he doesnt want to, it shows that he DOES feel belonging with the people beacuse he doesnt want to leave them. so apply whichever one fits what he's feeling.

hope all that helps

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
Films are where you BS it up, yo. "Close-up shots, espoused with warm lighting and a tight mise-en-scène emphasise the intimacy of the Shire (is that what it's called? I forget). In the scene where blah blah blah (use example(s) here), ......." Talk about music, etc. Clothing/wardrobe (all similar size/stature/colour -> unity). "Combined, these techniques draw the audience's eyes towards the entire community, marginalising the self - in this case Bilbo; we are subsequently forced to consider the film in terms of the collective. (Director's name here, I forget his name), here, canvasses the notion that belonging is achieved through a passive and omnipresent assimilation of the individual into a larger, greater whole."

There, 5 minutes of BSing, and I haven't seen the movie in like a year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)