benefits of doing ext.history????? (1 Viewer)

D3Si

HSC
Can anyone tell me the benefits of doing extension history????? coz right now i m thinking bout dropping it coz i dont think it will help me later on, even tough i like doing extension history. so will it help me in any way and does doing extension history lifts your modern history marks up coz i remember someone telling me this??? dunno if its true or not....

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Extension won't affect your Modern/Ancient mark in any way.

They are independently marked and recorded (unlike during the former 3 unit days when they were marked in the same centre and did impact on results).

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
If you enjoy it, what are your reasons for dropping it?

Sidicious-Reign said:
it scales you if thats what you mean.
?

el gwapo

HSC
Sidicious-Reign said:
it scales you if thats what you mean.
but like the cliche "to finish first, first you must finish". similar here if you gonna scale high, you gotta be high enough to scale. can't be last and expect ext history to benefit you in any way.

I found that it helps me in the "analysis of sources" bits in Modern History exams. But it's not everyone's cup of tea, a lot of reading is required, name-dropping and if you're doing it just for the big history project, think twice because once that's gone and you lose your focus, you're doomed

If you mean for the future.... I guess essay writing it helps your other essay writing courses e.g. English, History, etc. but if you want a direct career out of that I guess it's academics, teaching, historian, but then again Anc/Mod History has similar career paths if you do it

ilikehats

HSC
I do extension history as well, and I was considering dropping... I'm getting about 74 UAI at the moment (without Extension it's about 71), but my teachers are worried the extra time I spend on it is pulling my marks in other subjects down. (Bad health)
Advice? Is it better to do 10 units well or 11 units averagely?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
ilikehats said:
I do extension history as well, and I was considering dropping... I'm getting about 74 UAI at the moment (without Extension it's about 71), but my teachers are worried the extra time I spend on it is pulling my marks in other subjects down. (Bad health)
Advice? Is it better to do 10 units well or 11 units averagely?
Here is the golden question - how are you getting a UAI of about 74?

ilikehats

HSC
I calculated it on the site using my half-yearly results... my average for that was 79. But I guess that's pretty unreliable... I tend to be stronger in my assessments, so I guess I'll have to wait for my report card. All the teachers are saying that you improve a lot between the half-yearlies and HSC; any truth in this?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
ilikehats said:
I calculated it on the site using my half-yearly results... my average for that was 79. But I guess that's pretty unreliable... I tend to be stronger in my assessments, so I guess I'll have to wait for my report card. All the teachers are saying that you improve a lot between the half-yearlies and HSC; any truth in this?
Remember when using SAM that there is no true correlation between your school marks and your possible HSC marks. Personally, I improved quite a fair bit between the half yearlies and HSC exams in all subjects (however, English showed the greatest improvement). But that all depends on how much work you put into it, however, it is inevitable that you would gain some improvement as time goes on.

asquith

HSC
i know i constantlly have a reason to drop it becuase it is so hard. however, i love it and probably heaps of people are telling you well 'if you like it then you will do better at at'. this is certainly true, provided you have the time available to put in the extra work. you will need to consider this. BUT before you only think about how hard you think it is now; think about its intrinsic worth. that is the major reason why i have pressed on with the subject. history extension gives you skills in critical thinking which is essential for life beyond high school. this skill is most vital if you are considering going to uni.

zaqwerty

HSC
Personally I've found that by doing Ext. History I have developed all of my skills in all subjects. It challenges you to think past the norm and to develop your own views on things, it allows you to express your own opinions, and it is definately a good starting ground for Uni if you are considering that later on down the track.

I think Ext. History has probably been the best subject during my HSC in terms of the way it has developed the way I think, no other subject challenges me like this one. I just love it.

Ext. History will benefit you in ways you may never realise, but I think it's definately worth the effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)