• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Benefits of memorizing a syllabus? (1 Viewer)

moey93

HSC
I would like to know whether or not I would benefit from memorizing the syllabi of my subjects. I've heard a fair amount about people doing this, but i'm not exactly sure why. I've been on the BoS website and viewed certain few, but they're 50+ pages! Could someone please tell me which section of a syllabus (providing I memorize them) would prove beneficial to my studies/aspirations of achieving an exceptional ATAR.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
You mean literally just the syllabus?

I think your time would be better spend understanding the concepts outlined by the syllabus - it's meant to direct your learning, not be your actual source of content!

I used my syllabus as a check list, so by the end I was quite familiar with the syllabi, but I hadn't intentionally memorised it.

Before exams, I'd look at a random syllabus dot-point and pretend it was a question, then practise a response to it. That's the kind of things you use your syllabus for... and also to ensure your teachers have covered all essential content.
:)

EDIT: As for which part of the document to use, I mainly read the subject outline at the beginning of each module and the "dot points" - ask your teacher if you're unsure. The outcomes and other gap-fillers do not play as pivotal a role during revision.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I used my syllabus as a check list, so by the end I was quite familiar with the syllabi, but I hadn't intentionally memorised it.
This.

Jayson89

HSC
I reckon flat-out memorising the syllabus should be something reserved for if you already know the content VERY WELL. That said, even if you are an insane beast, there's not much gain by systematically memorising the whole thing...just know the 'identify' ones in particular cuz those are like the things which are in marking guidelines specifically.

You could better spend that time learning the content, or doing past papers, etc. during which you'd gain the required 'memorisation' of the syllabus (almost) anyway :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)