BenQ - yes or no? (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
Looking for a new lappy..

And as I can get one from BenQ at a really good price, I'm wondering whether or not it'll be a good choice.

I've never seen anyone with a BenQ joybook, nor know anyone who has had experience with BenQ products. I've had contradicting responses from people around me.. my friend said she heard it's good.. my dad tells me it's total shit..

If I were to get one, I was looking at the
- Joybook S31V
- Joybook S41

Most likely the latter.

Suggestions? Opinions?

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
lol carmen, you need to give us the price for it.

oh wheres the poll?

Lol you forgot to post the specs for it:

Version V15
CPU Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T7300 2.0Ghz
Operating System Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium
Chipset Intel® PM965
Graphic Chip nVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GS(Max.1GB TurboCache)
Memory DDRII-667 1GB (max to 2GB)
Hard Drive 160GB (5400rpm - SATA)
Optical Drive 8X DVD-Dual (Supports Double Layer)
Screen Size 14.1" UltraVivid widescreen
Resolution WXGA(1280x800)
Brightness 200 nits
I/O Ports

• USB 2.0 x 4
• FireWire (IEEE 1394) x 1
• RJ-45 Ethernet port x 1
• RJ-11 Modem port x 1
• HDMI output x 1
• VGA/D-Sub port x 1
• ExpressCard Slot x 1
• DC-IN x 1
• Microphone-in x 1
• Headphone-out x 1
• Line-in x 1
Battery

6-cell Lithium-ion Battery, 52Whr (4800mAh); approximately 2.5hr duration*
*The battery life is estimated (under BatteryMark V4.0.1) when the power-saving mode is on. The actual battery life may vary with different operating conditions and settings.
Communications/Networks

Modem: 56K / V.92 modem
LAN: 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Wireless LAN: 802.11a/b/g/n
Bluetooth: Rev. 2.0
Card Reader 5-in-1 (MS/MS-Pro/SD/MMC/xD)
Audio

Built-in Microphone x 1
Built-in 1.5W speakers x 2
Sound System x 2 channels
(1) Sound Blaster Pro Compatible
(2) HD Audio
(3) Noise Suppression & Echo Cancellation supported
(4) SRS TruSurround XT
Software

. BenQ QMedia Bar
. BenQ QShot
. BenQ Surround
. Power DVD
. Adobe Reader
. Nero Express
. Anti-Virus Software
. WebCam Companion
. Magic-I
. Microsoft® Office Professional 2007 60-Day Free Trial (Only for Microsoft® Operating System)
Dimensions (WxHxD) 337 x 248 x 26.6 (front) ~ 38.7 (rear) mm(LxWxH)
Weight 2.35kg (with battery)
Color Black

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
idk the price.

it just came out this month.. will go hunt around after exams

btw, i did post specs [link], just at the same time u did..

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
umm lol ask the person for a discount :)
thanks heaps
if it's as cheap as you say it is
i'm ditching asus

Collin

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
idk the price.
But didn't you just say you could get one at a 'really good' price? :confused:

It's not very useful to start settling on specs if you have no clue how much it's going to cost. Get a rough quote first, because I know those Santa Rosa laptops from BenQ (especially the S31) aren't gonna be a 'very good price' at it's normal price. In other words, a 'really good price' better mean you're sure you can obtain a considerable discount.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ive got a benq dvd burner, its been pretty solid. My friend has a few other benq parts, most notably his lcd monitor which was very cheap and he said he never had any problems or heard of anyone having any problems. I think they are sort of lesser known brand that does the job with no flashy gimicks and thats why they are cheap.

Buy it if you like it, dont let the fact that it isnt a well known brand throw you off.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Serius said:
Buy it if you like it, dont let the fact that it isnt a well known brand throw you off.
But be cautious if it isn't a well known brand. I bought a sparkle graphics card, and as some of the people here know, it fried.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
what i ment by "well known" is well known by the general public. Anyone into computers would have atleast heard of benQ. One of the reasons they arent well known is because they are a hong kong based company, instead of like american or japanese or something. Within hk they are very well known. When i read your thread before sparkle did ring a bell, but i knew nothing about it so chances are they might be shit.

With stuff that isnt well known its always going to be a gamble, some companies are trying to build a reputation so they are very solid in what they offer and they have decent service. Other companies arent well known because they are shit so their good reputation hasnt spread because it is non existant.

CieL

HSC
Collin said:
In other words, a 'really good price' better mean you're sure you can obtain a considerable discount.
A really good price means I can get a big percentage off the rrp.

I'm not going through middle people, I'm getting it straight from BenQ.

I really like it, but I'd still want to know how this brand rates.. there's no point in getting it if I hear that alot of people experience problems with it..

It seems like a pretty solid choice atm.. haven't heard bad feedback yet [besides my dad]

Collin

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
A really good price means I can get a big percentage off the rrp.

I'm not going through middle people, I'm getting it straight from BenQ.

I really like it, but I'd still want to know how this brand rates.. there's no point in getting it if I hear that alot of people experience problems with it..

It seems like a pretty solid choice atm.. haven't heard bad feedback yet [besides my dad]
Asking specific people about laptop brands isn't the best idea - if someone had a bad experience with one particular unit, then chances are they'll think twice before going back to the brand. Furthermore, they'll often be inclined to criticise the entire brand due to their once-off personal experiences. Common sense, and not unreasonable to deduce. On the other hand, if they have never had an issue with it, chances are you'll hear something far more positive. Personal opinions on 'brands' tend to be full of biased judgements.

Just look at Simo a few posts above. He had an issue with his Sparkle video card awhile back, and now he slags off the entire company as crap. His initial reason was that they were a dodgy Chinese brand, when infact they are a Taiwanese brand, and generally Taiwan (where many computer hardware manufacturers are based) are reputable. Can you see the bias already? It's human nature and generally extremely difficult to remain completely impartial for most people.

So how about focusing on helping us help you by actually getting a rough quote on the price?

CieL

HSC
Collin said:
So how about focusing on helping us help you by actually getting a rough quote on the price?
S41v15

It seems to be advertised as a $2100 lappy.

However, I'm looking to spend about $1500 to get it.

Anything else that beats it at $1500? Or am I set.

Oh, and is there a noticable difference between 1gb and 2gb ram anyway? Example me?

Collin

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
S41v15

It seems to be advertised as a $2100 lappy.

However, I'm looking to spend about $1500 to get it.

Anything else that beats it at $1500? Or am I set.

Oh, and is there a noticable difference between 1gb and 2gb ram anyway? Example me?
Good deal.

For Vista, yes there is. Definitely grab the 2GB (I'd personally recommend 2GB even for XP anyway).

rusticmetal

HSC
i have never had a benq laptop, but my experiences with benQ LCD monitors has been highly satisfactory. great products.

CieL

HSC
Collin said:
Good deal.

For Vista, yes there is. Definitely grab the 2GB (I'd personally recommend 2GB even for XP anyway).
Excellent.

Put down my $100 deposit today. Should get it sometime next week.

I did a 2GB upgrade which was $60-100 on top.. the guy doesn't really know if it's one or two sticks.. because it's too new and he hasn't done an upgrade yet..

*Hopes to get my hands on this very soon*

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Posting from BenQ LCD monitor.

Never had a problem, don't think I ever will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)