Best advice for Year 11 (poor) into HSC? (1 Viewer)

xvelenox

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, just looking for some advice here.
So I am in Year 11 at the moment and not doing so well, I am not doing terrible by any means but am improvement definitely needs to be made. My parents have given my an ultimatum and if this year goes poor than basically I am out of home. I have narrowed down what my current problems are:

- I was working 25 hours a week plus 5 days a week school. This has been reduce to 10 but a large gap within my knowledge is due to this.
- Desk is in room with PC and TV, have not used PC to game in 4 weeks and looking to move my desk out ASAP.
- Going out with friends to much
- Sister has autism creates a unstable environment, do not have P's and parents work late. I am going for my bike license within the month so as to be able to travel to and from the library.
- Had a rough patch in terms of mental illness that doesn't need to be discussed, basically runs in the family and slowly starting on meds to work out the problem.
- I have been lazy and not worked to my best I will admit.

Current subjects
English adv
English ext 1
Maths adv
Maths ext 1
Physics
PDHPE
economics.

I had no say in these subjects my parents picked them, but this year they have allowed me to choose my own. I will be dropping ext 1 maths maybe even down to general depending on things work out, and I wish to pick up senior science at the expense of economics or physics. My goal ATAR is 85. My parents are not doing this with sinister intent but rather to teach me to survive if I cannot teach myself to study, they are amazing people and truly want the best for me.
I know this is a lot to read but any tips would be amazing; this year needs to count, or I am out on my own.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Find passion and appreciation within the subjects you are learning! And from there, improve your ways of learning/thinking; Realise the bigger picture, see the logic. It takes time to train your mind, but you will slowly see your workload cut as you understand new concepts much easier and better. Of course I am a very math/science centred person, and this methodology can only go so far, so take my input with a grain of salt.
Also, what is wrong with the PC in your room? Don't let lack of discipline be an excuse for moving elsewhere. It allows you to research further into questions you may not completely understand.

If you want to achieve something, you will - if your mind is ready.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I'm going into the HSC next term too and these are just a few things I've learnt during prelims I'm going to apply:
- Work on study notes and stuff early! So do them throughout the term, as opposed to a day before a major assessment
- Stay focused and disciplined during study periods
- Have breaks in between, i.e. study for 1 hour, 10 minute break, etc.
- Have some fun/relax - exercise, finish Downton Abbey during exam block, etc.
- Start assignments ASAP!
- Prioritise whatever's going on
- Study smarter, i.e. notes for maths can be a bit pointless, so past papers are better

If I were you, I'd probably quit work so I can focus on my studies better. You technically only have a year for HSC, and many years ahead to do work, so pull all your energy into HSC and you can work later (like what my mother says! ^_^ )

Best of luck for next year!

xvelenox

HSC
N/A
Find passion and appreciation within the subjects you are learning! And from there, improve your ways of learning/thinking; Realise the bigger picture, see the logic. It takes time to train your mind, but you will slowly see your workload cut as you understand new concepts much easier and better. Of course I am a very math/science centred person, and this methodology can only go so far, so take my input with a grain of salt.
Also, what is wrong with the PC in your room? Don't let lack of discipline be an excuse for moving elsewhere. It allows you to research further into questions you may not completely understand.

If you want to achieve something, you will - if your mind is ready.
Hi friend, thanks for taking the time to read my questions. The subjects I have passions for are English and Science, I am hoping senior science falls on the same line as economics so I may keep Physics, but time will tell. The issue with my PC is that while it can be used for research it is a custom computer which I built for gaming, so the distractions is too high. I have moved it to another room and rely in my laptop for research as of current. Thanks again for your help.

I'm going into the HSC next term too and these are just a few things I've learnt during prelims I'm going to apply:
- Work on study notes and stuff early! So do them throughout the term, as opposed to a day before a major assessment
- Study smarter, i.e. notes for maths can be a bit pointless, so past papers are better

If I were you, I'd probably quit work so I can focus on my studies better. You technically only have a year for HSC, and many years ahead to do work, so pull all your energy into HSC and you can work later (like what my mother says! ^_^ )

I really like the advice you shared! :) I am taking a course during the term break which basically gives me a head start on HSC physics and maths, so I think getting my notes down and working through the syllabus regularly is my best option, as well as like you said organisation and past papers. How would you advise I set out my study guide with respect to how many hours per subject? Thanks once again.

colourtheory

HSC
Don't fall on the one belief that seems to damage everyone: I did "poor" in year 11, so I will probably do poor in Year 12.

Could never be more wrong.

t0fu

HSC
Try not to cram before tests. Keep up with what is taught in class and personally I like to keep up to date with study notes. You could also reduce time you are out with friends, but you can still go out occassionally. I remember going out before big exams and keeping notes in my bag and reading over it while waiting around or whenever I have a few spare minutes. You should stay motivated as well. I've never been motivated until probably this year. I got so desperate I even stuck my goal ATAR on a post-it note next to my bed so it's the first thing I see every morning when I open my eyes lol. It actually helps a little and I drag myself out of bed thinking about it.

And also think about it in the long run. Every minute you spend procrastinating you are going to spend regretting you didn't try harder one day in the future. Good luck with everything! C:

xvelenox

HSC
N/A
Don't fall on the one belief that seems to damage everyone: I did "poor" in year 11, so I will probably do poor in Year 12.

Could never be more wrong.
Well I definitely think next year is going to be better. I am not a dumb student, I am very capable but rather easily mislead and tend to not put any effort in. I a, currently sitting year 11 finals and getting through everything with legitimate no study, but I will not have anywhere near acceptable marks; next year is do or die.

Try not to cram before tests. Keep up with what is taught in class and personally I like to keep up to date with study notes. You could also reduce time you are out with friends, but you can still go out occassionally. I remember going out before big exams and keeping notes in my bag and reading over it while waiting around or whenever I have a few spare minutes. You should stay motivated as well. I've never been motivated until probably this year. I got so desperate I even stuck my goal ATAR on a post-it note next to my bed so it's the first thing I see every morning when I open my eyes lol. It actually helps a little and I drag myself out of bed thinking about it.

And also think about it in the long run. Every minute you spend procrastinating you are going to spend regretting you didn't try harder one day in the future. Good luck with everything! C:
Thanks for your advice! How much time a night should I dedicate to notes per subject would you say? And are all notes done from the syllabus? Thanks again.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
I haven't performed to the best ability this year either. But with me I have virtually told my whole grade im going for dux. I will be and am using this as a motivator for my prelim exams and hsc.

t0fu

HSC
I like to a word document for each of my subjects and add a few points onto it whenever there is new theory work from class. It only takes a few minutes and I re-read all the previous notes from lessons. This helps me a lot during tests because personally I cannot remember a whole semester's worth of information in a few days leading up to an exam...and your notes should be from the syllabus, don't try to remember stuff that is irrelevant. One time i had this teacher who liked to blab on about stuff related to the topic and we'd write notes down..until it came to the test...

xvelenox

HSC
N/A
I haven't performed to the best ability this year either. But with me I have virtually told my whole grade im going for dux. I will be and am using this as a motivator for my prelim exams and hsc.
Thats a great motivator! Best of luck too you!

I like to a word document for each of my subjects and add a few points onto it whenever there is new theory work from class. It only takes a few minutes and I re-read all the previous notes from lessons. This helps me a lot during tests because personally I cannot remember a whole semester's worth of information in a few days leading up to an exam...and your notes should be from the syllabus, don't try to remember stuff that is irrelevant. One time i had this teacher who liked to blab on about stuff related to the topic and we'd write notes down..until it came to the test...
While I do have a laptop I do not take it to school, I think the best method is going to be taking notes on the syllabus related to today's work in class or printing up my hand notes. Either way I think regular revision of my notes is going to be key. Maybe take like once a week to really go over that weeks notes, and leading into a test this regular revision will allow me to retain content better, also past papers ect ect.

xvelenox

HSC
N/A
Thats a great motivator! Best of luck too you! /QUOTE]

Honestly i suggest you do the same!
Parents told me if I get 85+ I can buy a bike of my choosing as this year I am going for my Road bike L's. That is HUGE! for me as I love my motorcycles, so I think that is motivation enough. :)

How exactly does one work through the syllabus? Should I take notes off 'students learn about' or 'students learn too' or both? I have never been shown how to effectively study before so this is all real new to me. Thanks mate.

j12onuzim

HSC
How could you find passion in your subjects if you don't actually have any passion for it at all and were forced into them?
I know that for me, I slacked off because I had no interest in the subjects that I was doing but its too late to change now.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
How could you find passion in your subjects if you don't actually have any passion for it at all and were forced into them?
I know that for me, I slacked off because I had no interest in the subjects that I was doing but its too late to change now.
I believe appreciation is just as strong a factor. Perhaps passion is derived from appreciation.
I originally hated mathematics; it was repetitive, and arduous (at the time). And then I met someone who lead me to realise my own ignorance, and how prideful I was. I began to appreciate the subjects I had no interest in, e.g maths - it was powerful and truthful, with infinite possibilities for application in the real world. I am not at the top, I do not have credibility, but consider opening your mind a little. "I know one thing, that I know nothing" - Socrates

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I don't know how to help people achieve success in the HSC, because frankly there is something more important to me right now - wisdom. It is something people may spend most of their lifetimes finding, but age and experience are not its predecessor. The quieter the mind becomes, the stronger the intellect.

Last edited:

xvelenox

HSC
N/A
Well that's part of me choosing my subjects for next year; my parents both left school at year 10, Although they are both very successful now in high paying jobs their biggest regret is not doing better at school and making it easier than it was. They thought they knew what was best in the case and they didn't, they admitted that and have allowed me to choose my own. They are great people and I respect both of them immensely

I believe appreciation is just as strong a factor. Perhaps passion is derived from appreciation.
I originally hated mathematics; it was repetitive, and arduous (at the time). And then I met someone who lead me to realise my own ignorance, and how prideful I was. I began to appreciate the subjects I had no interest in, e.g maths - it was powerful and truthful, with infinite possibilities for application in the real world. I am not at the top, I do not have credibility, but consider opening your mind a little. "I know one thing, that I know nothing" - Socrates

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I don't know how to help people achieve success in the HSC, because frankly there is something more important to me right now - wisdom. It is something people may spend most of their lifetimes finding, but age and experience are not its predecessor. The quieter the mind becomes, the stronger the intellect.
Well to be fair I have no passion for any subjects, but I do better in some subjects in others and I tend to enjoy them more; maybe that's why ;)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

"Work hard for one year and live the rest of your life in royalty and an endless stream of money" - every misconceived parent to their child in NSW

xvelenox

HSC
N/A
"Work hard for one year and live the rest of your life in royalty and an endless stream of money" - every misconceived parent to their child in NSW
No one here has claimed that, nor have they expressed any signs of believing it. I believe the only misconceived person is you.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I really like the advice you shared! :) I am taking a course during the term break which basically gives me a head start on HSC physics and maths, so I think getting my notes down and working through the syllabus regularly is my best option, as well as like you said organisation and past papers. How would you advise I set out my study guide with respect to how many hours per subject? Thanks once again.
It depends on how much study you need for each subject. For maths, I usually allocate a few hours (past papers take up a lot of time) and physics is done in increments of time throughout the week (so maybe half an hour every second or third day). It's really up to you and how much you are willing to put into it!

I don't believe that's what I was trying to say. Basically, my mum didn't want me to have a part-time job because she wanted me to focus on my studies (especially during year 11 and 12). The reason why she wants me to focus on my study, is so that I have more future possibilities for career paths. There was no indication about how much money would be earned or if I was going to be living my "life in royalty".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)