Best Approach for Exam (1 Viewer)

theodore0307

HSC
Which would you say is a better approach to be most prepared for HSC physics. To do past paper, or to look at worked solutions/responses to past papers?

Thanks.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
You really should DO them.

If you just look at the solutions, you will say 'I would have said that' and give yourself 5/5 -- whereas if you write a response, then use the marking guidelines / solutions to JUDGE your ACTUAL response, you may find that you are missing something. Even better, work with a classmate, both do the same exam and then mark each other and offer suggestions.

Don't do all of the questions -- if you are decent at Physics, pick 3 or 4 questions from each paper to do (i.e., the ones you find more difficult) and mark those.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I did paper by paper back to back for hours and hours every day and got a Band 6.

itsalberttrinh

Your Mum
HSC
How would you know if your marking is accurate especially for the older papers with no sample answers and only marking criteras

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
How would you know if your marking is accurate especially for the older papers with no sample answers and only marking criteras
Well I used class time mainly for getting marking complete and going through HSC questions with a teacher. Then I knew how to mark my exams very accurately going off marking criterias.

I suggest for those who haven't had experience with marking, look at the specifics of what the marking guidelines says with the mark allocation. Those are very clear on what you need in specific to get the marks. Have a look at them and use them well. All the descriptive words in the marking allocations are straight to the point. If you miss what was being said there you'll know quite well that you lose that mark in the final HSC.

In the end, my marking was exactly as strict as the HSC marking for Physics, Chemistry and MX2 and I was getting raw marks for those papers towards the end similar to what would align in that year to my examination mark for HSC. For MX1 either I was marking myself too nicely or I made a lot of terrible errors in the final exam.

Did you focus on doing past papers or looking at your notes (answering the syllabus)?

Congrats btw
Thanks.

With me I focused on my notes prior to trials. After trials I took the first week to re-read stuff in my notes and to brush up on the syllabus. From then on in it was pure past papers for every subject. It doesn't necessarily work for everyone though but it worked for me I guess.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
By this stage, you should be able to look at 90% of questions and be able to roughly hypothesise what the marking criteria should look like

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)