Best Chemistry Textbooks/Guides (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
Re: Best Chemistry Textbooks/Guides?

I use chem context (the new1). .. its a good book in terms of how it is set out and nice and colourful with pictures.. unlike jacaranda chem... but context has its problems... 4 somethings it goes way over the top and for others such gives a brief sentence with little explaination...

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC

Deltan said:
not the new version though
New version is great. It follows the layout of my notes perfectly as it is all set straight back to the syllabus and has a heap of questions.

We use chem contexts in class:chainsaw:
It misses out some large portions of the syllabus and is poorly written in my opinion.

sinophile

HSC
N/A

New version of excel sorta sucks imo. its got massive amounts of filler.

btw, is it just me, or is Spotlight chem a bit TOO detailed on some points? Does anyone else agree?

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC

sinophile said:
New version of excel sorta sucks imo. its got massive amounts of filler.
Really I find Excel great? Just because of the layout.

In chem contexts you have to sift through a stack of rubbish that doesn't even relate to the syllabus half of the time.

I have the 3rd edition conquering chem, it is decent however like chem contexts there is a lot to sift through to find what I want.

Imo there isn't a really good chemistry textbook out there from those I have used.

micuzzo

HSC

Sarah182 said:
In chem contexts you have to sift through a stack of rubbish that doesn't even relate to the syllabus half of the time.
I agree... sometimes it talks about things not in the sylabus for a whole page, but for things that are, it has like one paragraph only.

Sarah182 said:
Really I find Excel great? Just because of the layout.
which excel might this be, i have the older orange 1 printed in 2001 i think... i dont like it.. it does not follow the sylabus layout and for some things just has point for... which excel do u use??

also which macmillan book is every1 talking about above... is it the maquarie revision guide 1....??

~caramello~

HSC

micuzzo said:
I agree... sometimes it talks about things not in the sylabus for a whole page, but for things that are, it has like one paragraph only.

which excel might this be, i have the older orange 1 printed in 2001 i think... i dont like it.. it does not follow the sylabus layout and for some things just has point for... which excel do u use??

also which macmillan book is every1 talking about above... is it the maquarie revision guide 1....??
Lol. the new excel chem is very different from the older one.
It has a completely new layout, with info in the middle and dotpoints which you can fill in @ the side. Look like:
http://www.pascalpress.com.au/v/vspfiles/photos/9781741252996-2T.jpg
And I think there talking bout Macmillan Chemistry Pathways 2

micuzzo

HSC

~caramello~ said:
Lol. the new excel chem is very different from the older one.
It has a completely new layout, with info in the middle and dotpoints which you can fill in @ the side. Look like:
http://www.pascalpress.com.au/v/vspfiles/photos/9781741252996-2T.jpg
And I think there talking bout Macmillan Chemistry Pathways 2
ahh ok... so the layout is new but hows the info... is it relevant and clear to understand?

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC

micuzzo said:
ahh ok... so the layout is new but hows the info... is it relevant and clear to understand?
The layout has the syllabus dot point and then has all the information relating to that dot point below it. I find it extremely useful.

However I picked up Surfing Chemistry the other day and that is also pretty good, although it's severely overpriced for how much information it has ($20 for one module, about 60 pages).

sinophile

HSC
N/A

Yeah, like the guy above me said. But still, Excel is condensed to the fucking moon and back. Its like a summary of a summary so it misses alot of details- youre better off using something else. Its worthwhile to flip through it in the library to grab some extra points, or for the questions though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

But still, Excel is condensed to the fucking moon and back.
Never quite heard that expression before, but I'm pretty sure Savage Garden would be pleased. ;)

Lukybear

HSC

i'd say spotlight. But its probly because my chem teacher wrote the hsc spotlight book. HEHE

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Such an unbiased viewpoint.

Official

Bring it on
HSC

Reading through this thread it seems the best books are:

Jacaranda
Conquering Chemistry

Anyone disagree?

Hypermelon

HSC

Does anyone think that new textbooks are dumbed down compared to older textbooks? apart from content on newly discovered stuff

I'd say conquering chemistry. i use it even though i don't do the HSC. but there are no textbooks for act. >:|
I use an old tattered conquering chem. book thats been borrowed by hundreds, but is way better than my perscribed nelson chemistry textbook

Lukybear

HSC

Sif, Aerath, impossible for me not to be biased... My chem teacher is so good...

Besides Spotlight, id say Chemistry Pathways, because in a way it is more comprehensive. But really you should use it in conjunction with another book.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Sif, Aerath, impossible for me not to be biased... My chem teacher is so good...
There was like...really no indication that I cared....

I dislike Conquering Chemistry, I personally like Jacaranda (and Chemistry Contexts is fairly good, but I don't use it), but at the end of the day, different people like different textbooks.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC

how bout "success one hsc chemistry" for study?????

my friend gave me a photocopy of acidic environment chapter and i think it aint that bad, but then again i only got it like 2hrs ago and havnt really done much of it lol

smushieex

HSC

I've got the jacaranda one for my own study.
I reckon it's pretty good.
... and it's nice and colourful. lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)