Best Economics Textbook (1 Viewer)

nesstar

I only used leading edge text book....we got given riley as well but i didnt like it...and i feel that being a competent eco student isnt relient on the book that u use...

I got a band 6 using leading edge text book, so I dont see why other ppl cant do the same. It might be a little explicit in parts...but overall I found it excellent, particularly when complemented by extra knowledge I collected myself from other sources.

Use the book, listen in class, study and read the nespaper, especially Ross Gittins.

Reactions: h_g

Conspirocy

HSC
i did hsc 2004...anyways there are 3 books everyones mentioned them. we have
a) Dixon
b) Riley
c) Advanced economics that comes out in parts

see now id say if you can be bothered to pinch from all three cause they are usefull for something. we used dixon and i think it was sufficient. i used the books like this: first to understand something i would look at dixon because it was simple. then i would fill the gaps with Riley and do the exercises from Advanced Economics.

i think they are all good if you learn one inside out u'll be fine

firehose

HSC
I'm doing the HSC this year..

In class we're using Updated Economics by Bulmer - his explanations are slightly uncanny but its extremely detailed, esp. littered with price/quantity graphs for all sorts of stuff. excellent but largely unnecessary

we have a secondary copy of Leading Edge for home use.... imo it is pretty much all that is necessary although it prob doesnt cover more peripheral parts of the course (altho they prob wont appear in the hsc anyway).. but i havent done it yet so i dunno

used tim riley in yr11, didn't like it all that much (although yr12 book might be useful, as some u say.. i havent read it myself)

overall though i reckon economics textbooks are great, more than what i could say for other subjects. just pick 1 or 2 it'll be all good

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
My Economics class uses the Tim Riley books for the HSC course as well as for the Preliminary course and we've never had a problem with them.

I can't exactly make a comparison as we've never been offered an alternative, but my Economics teacher has personally met Tim Riley and he is happy with the content of his textbooks.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
my suggestion (what i'm using to get a band 6):
leading edge - primary
reily- secondary
updated- statistics...

Aeolior

HSC
Hmm, very interesting.

I actually attend the leading edge tuition, and it looks like almost the whole of the sydney area use leading edge textbook. And only like 5-6 schools (from what I heard from our tutor) had used Tim Riley's book.

I suppose, its good to read Riley's book first, to grasp a good understanding, then read over Dixon's book to give u the edge to economics. And memorise some significant statistics.

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
I find it useful how with the Leading Edge workbook you can go to their website and get answers to all the questions contained in it. It helps you out when revising and practising for exams.

Dragie

HSC
From your experiences, what was the best eco txtbook you've used that actually HELPED you understand?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
We mostly use: updated economics 2006 (green book)

Other good ones, I know, are leading edge and a thick one called Global Economy (I think). These two are the textbooks commonly used at schools.

Which textbook do you use?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Im a no frills kind of girl and I loved the Riley book. I don't like the Dixon book (though it is pretty) at all with it's useless add ons and trimmings.

Having said that, I coupled the Riley with the Model answers published by Leading Edge.

fat_penguin

HSC
i found leading edge really simple and easy to understand compared to my school textbook.. so needless to say i only used that one hehe *shrugs* it helped me :)

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
I don't know what the best eco textbook is since i haven't used all of them, but i personally like the updated eco one because i find it easy to understand.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
riley. leading edge i have as well, but i will only use if i dont get it coz it is too simple.

is updated economics neccessary to obtain? ?

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
I found the concepts presented in the leading edge textbook easier to understand compared to other textbooks. I would really recommend their model answer series :D

jon0_o

HSC
we used dixon in yr 11 and riley this yr for yr 12 but i've got bulmer as well (updated eco) i didn't really like dixon or riley, but i think riley is a tad better. They don't explain very well and are quite simplistic (but they make it sound complicated) and they don't properly explain the terminology. Update economics is more in deapth, it can be done without but it did help me and I reckon its worth getting

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Well we use Leading Edge at school. I haven't read any other textbooks but I can advise everyone to not waste your money on the excel book. My brother did the hsc in 2001 and he said thats all he studied-he got about 75 for economics...amazing:confused: Lol. Its incredibly basic and doesn't go into enough detail.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
My school used Bulmer. I'm glad we did. Great books, loaded with info (some would say far too much info for HSC level)
However i must say Bulmer isnt really for those who need a simple explanation of things. ALthough it would be good to look at once youve grasped the basics. (I used it in conjuntion with a few other study guides)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Rafy said:
My school used Bulmer. I'm glad we did. Great books, loaded with info (some would say far too much info for HSC level)
However i must say Bulmer isnt really for those who need a simple explanation of things. ALthough it would be good to look at once youve grasped the basics. (I used it in conjuntion with a few other study guides)
Bulmer's explanation isn't that simple.
Which other guides do you use?

..Which one is Dixon and which is Reilly?

Last edited:

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Leading edge is most simple for understanding basic concept then updated economics then a ross gittins article :p

Dragie

HSC
I'm using Leading Edge in conjuction with Updated Economics. I dunno...not finding Leading Edge all that...helpful I guess. Updated Eco rocks though lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)