Best Economics Textbook (1 Viewer)

felixcthecat

HSC
my school used riley for prelim course and we're using dixon this year.. i find dixon to be a lot better than riley in terms of explanation for concepts, but we also get copies of the important sections from various other books such as updated economics and even study guides ^^''

Yessy

HSC
Trust me Tim Riley's is the most useful one. coz its logical n easy to understand. Dixon n leading edge are not logical n too brief

abcd9146

HSC
I have 3 textbooks, and the excel study guide (is this considered a textbook?)

the Leading Edge (T. Dixon) one is probably the one i find the best, i seem to get most out of it. If i dont understand something, i read the Tim Riley one, and then that helps me. the other one (updated Economics) is the one my school uses most, but i dont really like it, it goes into too much details, and doesnt cover the basics.

overall, i use both the Leading Edge and the Dixon to gain a firm knowledge, and then i read the Excel book to see if there is anything more to gain from it.

Reactions: h_g

Dragie

HSC
Does anyone know where to find updated Economics: 2006 (the green one)? I have no idea where to buy it from

Dragie

HSC
Without Wings said:
There are 3 Updated Economics in the series, that make up the whole set...

Try Dymocks - not all Dymocks stores will have it, but they usually will get it in for you from another store, or be able to direct you to a brach that has it.

Or Temple Books

Otherwise, your local bookshop may get it in for you also if you ask.

Awesome, thanks

Riviet

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, the leading edge textbook ('06) is one of the best ecos textbooks on the market, if you're using another text, I would recommend you get this textbook as a supplementary text, I think it covers the syllabus very well and is comprehensive.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Abit too comprehensive. It doesn't follow the syllabus as well as Riley.

Monstar

HSC
teacher made us by dixon.

from what i hear its easier to understand the terms because they have a giant glossary at the back.

IMO its good.

s2indie

HSC
we're using Dixon but i've used Riley on a few occasions
Depends on the topic - one has better stuff than the other.
and Dixon's easier to understand

simoffy

HSC
Updated Economics (Bulmur/Bulmar) and Leading Edge (Dixon).. We stopped using Reily, coz it was too confusing. Dixon and Bulmar are easier to follow.

HSC
Leading Edge's The Market Economy by Tim Dixon & John O'Mahony which is probably too easy.

I've had no problems at all. It all seems so simple i've already started reading ahead.

stargaze

HSC
Without Wings said:
Dixon is the Leading Edge Textbook (Australia in the Global Economy)
Riley is by Tim Riley and is Year 12 Economics 2006
I'd recommend those two. Personally, I found Dixon to be nice, straightforward and relatively easy to understand. I thought Riley went into a bit more detail which is perhaps useful for essays.

I was highly recommended Bulmer by MANY people. Bulmer has a pretty high level of content and I used it a little bit - in the last week of hsc prep. If u can get your hands on note packages that those HSC economics lectures release thats also very useful.

taki999

HSC
i feel the green leading edge text book- Australia in the Global Economy a pretty good economics textbook. Although really imo i feel it's all the same, not really is really updated apart from newer graphs and statistics. I mean is it really worth wasting another $30 perhaps $40 on buying something you can update from the teacher giving you the updates and economic articles.eg. Gitten's from smh?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The theory and wording of the textbook is basically the same, as you said, it's just the graphs and stats that have been updated. So it's not really worth the money, unless you're really keen on a fully updated textbook.

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
taki999 said:
i feel the green leading edge text book- Australia in the Global Economy a pretty good economics textbook. Although really imo i feel it's all the same, not really is really updated apart from newer graphs and statistics. I mean is it really worth wasting another $30 perhaps $40 on buying something you can update from the teacher giving you the updates and economic articles.eg. Gitten's from smh?
Is the new leading edge textbook green? I have the blue one. Anyways,I think having more than one textbook might help because leading edge doesn't really cover everything so if you compliment that with Tim Riley's book, you'll get a more indepth explaination on some of the theories that leading edge just seems to brush by.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
lilkiwifruit said:
Is the new leading edge textbook green?
Nope, the one you and I have [blue cover] is the latest edition.

RNN-A-MUK

HSC
Tim Riley has to be one of the worst books man all statistics and no explanation how r u suposd to learn like that man... so confusing!!!!:burn:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Its not all stats. People just browse and concentrate on the tables and graphs. The explanations are very good if you can get past that.

Meehmow

HSC
I find that the Dixon book is pretty simple. If you haven't listened all year and need a crash course, Dixon's the way to go.

Riley's awesome in that he links up all the points and is heaps more comprehensive than Dixon. I also find that he repeats himself less. Our school teaches by Dixon, and photocopies Riley and Bulmar stuff for us, and I've found that as long as I use the Riley, I've got mostly everything covered and more....well almost everything....still need to look in papers for recent stats!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)