Best Economics Textbook (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
bawd said:
Okay, thanks a lot! I saw the Dixon one in store today and was tempted to buy it because there was no other ones (the pre-HSC last minute cramming rush). The Leading Edge Budget Review was pretty good, which is why I thought their textbook would be good as not as bad. I will buy both Riley's and Bulmer's once I can find them.

Any idea about how good Cambridge is for HSC (the one our class is going to use)? The Preliminary Textbook is pretty good, but not the best it could be.
Cmabridge is possibly the worse textbook out there, well at least I think it is.

Don't bother getting too many textbooks, you won't have time to read it all I promise you. Just get Dixon and Riley, they are all you need, lol.

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
Wow. I'm getting a heap of different opinions here. I'll have access to all four textbooks mentioned so it's all good. :)

omarast

HSC
hold up a minute. can u excel using just leading edge?

or is it recommended to use the others in combined becoz i just found out as reading this thread that leading edge has rivals wtf man lol

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I have Tim Riley and Bulmer. Is that a good combination? Should I get the Dixon one as well?

nimssyk

Captn
HSC
Lol me too..i have dixon as well..its not bad but they're really simplistic for me

YaY bulmer.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
i have the excel book. its pretty general and shitty.
The tim riley txtbook is good, my fav.
also the premium BOS notes for economics are really good.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Well this is what my teacher said about most of the books out there

Dixon-yeah if you want your economics puree
Riley-okish
Wallace (Macquarie)-good guide
Excel-Dont even look at it or else I will give you zero
Bulmer-GOD

The thing with Bulmer is that it's updated every year. The book itself is extremly hard to read and get through. However the info in it is really good. Our teacher gave us like a million sheets to supplement. It was about 30CM thick. So don't always rely on the textbook, things can change very fast.

lordesf

HSC
LEading edge is my Fav, the concepts r VERY CLEAR and precise...

While Tim Riley ( i bought ti 1st) was really badly worded, not to clear on the important points (unlike dixon's) - but its good for extra polciies and trends

But yeh i focussed on Leading edge 95% of the time and it was good :karate:

hoschke118

HSC
We're just using Riley's textbook at the moment, is that bad?
Also, does anyone know if there will be Dot Point books for economics this year? I would like that.

Tastegud

HSC
I personally find Leading Edge quite the edge.

It's a great textbook to use for understanding and if you want more depth, you can always get the "other" Tim books.:)

bmn

HSC
We have leading edge 2008 edition... Good book, with up to date information and statistics...

ttong

HSC
08 edition?up to date? umm a 09 edition exists :rolleyes:. nevertheless it is one of the best eco. txtbooks

JOSH.

HSC
Hey, sorry this is late, especially considering Christmas is 3 days away, but I'm asking for an economics textbook as one of my Christmas presents. My mum doesn't mind buying it post-Christmas, but the sooner the replies the better. :D

We're currently using John Bulmer's 'Updated Economics', divided into parts A, B and C, with each part released quaterly so the statistics are as current as possible. Apparently a lot of eco teachers use them.

I'm asking for one for Christmas, and I don't know which one to get. My economics teacher said Cambridge is good, but a bit too simple (which in some ways is a bonus, hahahaha, economics is understood most efficiently when it's explained in it's most simple form), she also recommended Tim Riley's book (which I think is Leading Edge) and Macquarie Revision.
We used 'Leading Edge' for Preliminary year. I really liked it...Macquarie revision also looks really good. My friend stole (yeah, I know...hahaha) 'Excel: Economics, updated edition' for me. It looks pretty shitty though, but I'll still use the study cards.

Anyway, which book should I ask for for Christmas?

lordesf

HSC
To me Leading Edge is almost a dot point itself! with points clearly stated for you in simple wording etc. so i like it the most! i used 99.9% leading edge and stil got 91 in the hsc so...

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
JOSH. said:
Hey, sorry this is late, especially considering Christmas is 3 days away, but I'm asking for an economics textbook as one of my Christmas presents. My mum doesn't mind buying it post-Christmas, but the sooner the replies the better. :D

We're currently using John Bulmer's 'Updated Economics', divided into parts A, B and C, with each part released quaterly so the statistics are as current as possible. Apparently a lot of eco teachers use them.

I'm asking for one for Christmas, and I don't know which one to get. My economics teacher said Cambridge is good, but a bit too simple (which in some ways is a bonus, hahahaha, economics is understood most efficiently when it's explained in it's most simple form), she also recommended Tim Riley's book (which I think is Leading Edge) and Macquarie Revision.
We used 'Leading Edge' for Preliminary year. I really liked it...Macquarie revision also looks really good. My friend stole (yeah, I know...hahaha) 'Excel: Economics, updated edition' for me. It looks pretty shitty though, but I'll still use the study cards.

Anyway, which book should I ask for for Christmas?
I would seriously stick with john bulmer's updated economics, the guy is a legend at clearly setting out the major points from the syllabus and answering them without the usual bs u find in many other books. tim riley's book is also pretty good though he uses a lot of bs, stuff u dont really need. cambridge is apparantly the crappest book on the market said my eco teacher - its got colour pictures but nothing else, the content is very basic, had a quick flick threw it. i personally reckon bulmers book is the best out - simple yet it has the perfect content with up-to-date facts
oh, sry that this is after christmas...

rachie2307

HSC
Does anyone know how or where i can buy the updated economics textbook??

~caramello~

HSC
Does anyone know how or where i can buy the updated economics textbook??
Well, Its not really a textbook.
Its divided into three parts A,B and C
The B and C parts for 2009 haven't come out yet.(I think)
Anyway back to the question.
I've seen them at most dymocks stores.

~caramello~

HSC
Leading Edge.
srsly overrated.
I agree with electrolysis in that bulmer really sticks to the topic and avoids the unnecessary points. I find that leading edge is sometimes inconsistent, as in covers some topics really well and just touches on others. well thats just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)