best investment ? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey want to invest money
i got
$9300 in 6.8% fixed term - 1yr equates to 500 interest/year

i also got about $2500 in a bank i was thinking about investing in telstra shares coz of there stability . good idea or is there better investments ?

beersandwich

HSC
hey want to invest money
i got
$9300 in 6.8% fixed term - 1yr equates to 500 interest/year

i also got about $2500 in a bank i was thinking about investing in telstra shares coz of there stability . good idea or is there better investments ?
dont just buy shares for stability (even then not telstra). there is alot more to consider, and the share market it the most volatile atm

if you dont know much about investing best look up a managed fund, who invests the money for you into shares. (eg colonial first state, platinum, have a search on google for more)

6.8% is pretty good nothing wrong with putting all your money into that. interest rates are only going to go up

HSC
N/A
don't ever put it all into one share lol...

But seriously if you want to play the ASX get some stocks any sector that IS NOT going up, i.e; not 'hot', because they have already peaked and the informed and intellegent people have already made their money.
So stay away from retail and mining and go all in for air-travel companies and commercial property developers.

Also, despite the above posters suggestion, NEVER pay for advice about where to invest your money (only how to invest, e.g 'how' to physically buy bonds, which is usually free anyway, or is only costly in the sense you have to forfiet some of your time)

Last edited:
HSC
Telstra is a great stock for dividend yield though

i wouldnt discount it so easily

dpends what your risk apetite is like

play mining and consumer stocks

IMO only

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
10 yr shareholder return for telstra is negative 2.3%, 5 yr postive 0.1%, 3yr -0.6% and 1 yr NEGATIVE 3.2%.
Althought its PE ratio is pretty good at the moment, the future of telstra will be highly speculative...whether they can handle foreign competition...and its expansion potential..etc.

IMO, it's an inferior share.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
It can only lose from here, it went from having a virtual monopoly when it was floated to suddenly having a shitload of competition and looks like it will end up being forced to separate its infrastructure and retail arms.

About 6 months ago I bought CBA shares when they were at $47 and they are now $56, which is about a 20% gain. I'm keeping them for long term though. I figured why just settle for interest when I can get dividends + increasing value of shares?

Deathless

HSC
10 yr shareholder return for telstra is negative 2.3%, 5 yr postive 0.1%, 3yr -0.6% and 1 yr NEGATIVE 3.2%.
Althought its PE ratio is pretty good at the moment, the future of telstra will be highly speculative...whether they can handle foreign competition...and its expansion potential..etc.

IMO, it's an inferior share.
Anyone heard of the company "American Towers"? If it were me, and we're wanting to invest in communications - American Towers would definetly be the firm to invest in. If not, there's plenty of other companies who are more efficient and innovative than the previously, state-owned and protected Telstra.

Deathless

HSC
It can only lose from here, it went from having a virtual monopoly when it was floated to suddenly having a shitload of competition and looks like it will end up being forced to separate its infrastructure and retail arms.

About 6 months ago I bought CBA shares when they were at $47 and they are now $56, which is about a 20% gain. I'm keeping them for long term though. I figured why just settle for interest when I can get dividends + increasing value of shares?
How many did you buy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)