Best Lecturers in Comm/Eco- Please Help! (1 Viewer)

simi07

HSC
Hey
Well.....I am thinking of joining UNSW next year in Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Economics....I was trying to find out about the lecturers in the Business Faculty.....like how good are they (i know they are all supoosed to be good....but which ones do u like the most in general?)...also....i was wondering if UNSW offers any scholorships for Commerce students.....i got an interview for Co op program...but couldnt attend the interview...due to personal reasons......yes..i know....it sounds stupid.....but believe me....i did have my reasons.....but back to the point...i was wondering if UNSW offered anything else.. that i could get involved in and gain some hands on experience.:) (I am not thinking about money...just any experience in the industry would be great)

Any help will be much appreciated.

PS: please no bashing or anything mean...i m new to this forum...sp please spare me if i said something stupid......i just want to find how life is in UNSW.

Thanks

miaowsha

HSC
You're not stupid etc. Just a lot of the people here can be arses especially if you tell the truth like you did, kiddo. The lecturers change etc but there are plenty of threads talking about them etc.

Just yeah um. Be careful, people like Tallkid and Azmzszmamamamdakakakamar may negatively rep you or talk about you thinking they're top shit simply because they post on here a lot and try and put you down. Just remember that they have no balls and couldn't do that in person if they tried :)

PS You don't have to justify missing the interview to anyone on here.

runnable

HSC
Just remember not to use that many '...............'. On the forum or at uni.

simi07

HSC
You're not stupid etc. Just a lot of the people here can be arses especially if you tell the truth like you did, kiddo. The lecturers change etc but there are plenty of threads talking about them etc.

Just yeah um. Be careful, people like Tallkid and Azmzszmamamamdakakakamar may negatively rep you or talk about you thinking they're top shit simply because they post on here a lot and try and put you down. Just remember that they have no balls and couldn't do that in person if they tried :)

PS You don't have to justify missing the interview to anyone on here.
Hey Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated!

I am not here to make enemies and will do my best to avoid trouble:)

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Hey
Well.....I am thinking of joining UNSW next year in Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Economics....I was trying to find out about the lecturers in the Business Faculty.....like how good are they (i know they are all supoosed to be good....but which ones do u like the most in general?)...also....i was wondering if UNSW offers any scholorships for Commerce students.....i got an interview for Co op program...but couldnt attend the interview...due to personal reasons......yes..i know....it sounds stupid.....but believe me....i did have my reasons.....but back to the point...i was wondering if UNSW offered anything else.. that i could get involved in and gain some hands on experience.:) (I am not thinking about money...just any experience in the industry would be great)

Any help will be much appreciated.

PS: please no bashing or anything mean...i m new to this forum...sp please spare me if i said something stupid......i just want to find how life is in UNSW.

Thanks
Economics has some pretty good lecturers like Peter Stegman, Peter Kriesler, Glenn Otto, ettc. A mixed bag but more often than not, I find them as a whole a pretty decent group.

Accounting and Finance are all mostly Asian lecturers with varying degrees of english fluency. Although from reputation alone, I have heard mostly negative things about Henry Yip (he's quite infamous among Finance students).

Management and Marketing I've found have fairly competent lecturers who at the very least, know how to express themselves in a lecture theatre appropriately.

However, when considering a lecturer, its more important to consider how they run the course. Even if said lecturer is shit (ie. incomprehensible or simply reciting his lecture slides), if their course administration skills (setting assignments, exams, etc) are adequate, then it affects everyone for the better. Obsessing over how well a lecturer can explain something is much less important than having to sit an exam or complete an assignment set by them. I must state though that a fair amount of ASB courses have the tutors contributing towards the structure of each course so keep that in mind if you do end up at UNSW.

As for other business-related opportunites within the ASB, you can always try again for Co-op later again if your marks are up to scratch and there are vacancies. I wouldn't bother with BSOC (business soc), they're just a self-interested faculty group concerned with putting things on their own resumes than helping you (i.e. an endless Asian power struggle). Still, they have a corporate mentor program that was run in the past so if they host it next year, try for that. I also think that if you're heading towards completing a CA, there are CA summer internships for first year students or so although I'm not sure if its still around. If Shoxgeneration ever reads this, she should be able to confirm this for me?

You'll find out for yourself really whether what I've said will hold up for you next year if you decide to go to UNSW. You might find that the lecturers are inadequate or actually the opposite but you know the content regardless and hence the lecture in itself is redundant. As for opportunities, its university so the onus is on you to seek them out and grasp them yourself.

simi07

HSC
Economics has some pretty good lecturers like Peter Stegman, Peter Kriesler, Glenn Otto, ettc. A mixed bag but more often than not, I find them as a whole a pretty decent group.

Accounting and Finance are all mostly Asian lecturers with varying degrees of english fluency. Although from reputation alone, I have heard mostly negative things about Henry Yip (he's quite infamous among Finance students).

Management and Marketing I've found have fairly competent lecturers who at the very least, know how to express themselves in a lecture theatre appropriately.

However, when considering a lecturer, its more important to consider how they run the course. Even if said lecturer is shit (ie. incomprehensible or simply reciting his lecture slides), if their course administration skills (setting assignments, exams, etc) are adequate, then it affects everyone for the better. Obsessing over how well a lecturer can explain something is much less important than having to sit an exam or complete an assignment set by them. I must state though that a fair amount of ASB courses have the tutors contributing towards the structure of each course so keep that in mind if you do end up at UNSW.

As for other business-related opportunites within the ASB, you can always try again for Co-op later again if your marks are up to scratch and there are vacancies. I wouldn't bother with BSOC (business soc), they're just a self-interested faculty group concerned with putting things on their own resumes than helping you (i.e. an endless Asian power struggle). Still, they have a corporate mentor program that was run in the past so if they host it next year, try for that. I also think that if you're heading towards completing a CA, there are CA summer internships for first year students or so although I'm not sure if its still around. If Shoxgeneration ever reads this, she should be able to confirm this for me?

You'll find out for yourself really whether what I've said will hold up for you next year if you decide to go to UNSW. You might find that the lecturers are inadequate or actually the opposite but you know the content regardless and hence the lecture in itself is redundant. As for opportunities, its university so the onus is on you to seek them out and grasp them yourself.
Hey, Thanks for the help!
That really helped me figure out what I am going to do next year!:)
Hopefully, I will get enough opportunities to gain experience in the industry and will surely keep an eye out for the opportunities you have mentioned above. Seriously, I was so confused about the experience side of things, but you helped me clear it out. And as for lecturers, I guess you are right. I didnt consider all the other stuff that you mentioned about them either. So yeh, thanks a lot for that.:)

Last edited:

akqjt

HSC
Henry Yip is the BEST lecturer.
Henry Yip = the devil

Most of the lecturers in the accounting/finance areas are ok - they won't motivate you to get a HD and fill you with enthusiasm for XYZ subject, but they don't make it overly difficult to succeed. Some make it hard through poor English/poorly organised classes (especially for subjects with a small number of enrolled students) etc but in the 3 years I've been doing commerce I've only had 2 subjects like this. Otherwise it's all on you and the lecturers provide you with enough 'support' that you can't say it was their fault you didn't achieve a certain mark. Even the bad lecturers don't prevent you from achieving it just means you have to work harder (in Yips' case [FINS2624]).

Last edited:

hero.

HSC
N/A
~I sooooo look forward to his FINS2624 course~ ^^

I have heard "Great" thing about him and my friends experience were invaluable ~~~~
lollllllllll

I've never been to his lecture whilst I was doing 2624 but when I handed my special consideration form to him, he didnt seem that bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)