Best method of practising maths? (1 Viewer)

zhertec

HSC
I'm starting year 12 soon, so I wanna make the best of these holidays. Currently maths is one of those subjects which I have neglected in 9 & 10, and sadly it's come to bite me back on the @$$. One of the main issues with it is that I don't practise enough (obviously) but when I do, I feel that it's not helping me as much. I understand most of the conceptual part, but the main problem is in tests I either can't finish or have a large amount of careless mistakes. So I would like any advice on how to improve these skills, preferably the method of practising like is doing past papers> then textbook exercises? And also I wanna know if anyone has managed to dramatically improve their marks greatly through using these methods and around how long of practising until you finally saw improvement.

Thanks
Zhertec

Luckytree

HSC
I guess my best advice would be: always to revise and touch up on math every now and then. You should do this not to lose touch with your application of knowledge of math to a question.

It would have been preferred that you have minimised your silly mistake by end of year 11 or start of year 12 and it is crucial to do so as you can obtain a lot of marks (sometimes even up to like 5-10) from just reducing silly mistakes, but i know this is easier said than done. However, by minimising your silly mistakes, it gives you confidence to go over to the next question without hindering you and this will allow you to finish the test in time.
My next advice would be doing a lot of past papers under timed conditions, trying to throw yourself into new questions and into the depths of the syllabus, allowing yourself to familiarise with all sorts of question. Doing past papers are extremely useful and checking with worked solutions allow you to find new ways of doing things, a prime example would be my friend.

We completed 2unit course a year earlier and he was doing average (around mid 60s) and once he actually started to do past papers he was able to see where he would make mistakes and how people would approach these questions and by the time HSC came around he did extremely well too (i think he got 93 as a HSC mark)

anywho, i hope this helped you and i know this is very cliched advices but it would help a lot
good luck for HSC next year!

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Also practice some year 11 topics in the holidays !!!!!! I regret doing that, that is why I suck at parametric. Also do math practice everyday so the concept can stay in ur mind!!!

Papercutter

HSC
Just practise, practise and practise. Do problems or complete chapter reviews/exercises in the textbook, find worksheets online. Don't bother writing notes for maths unless it's to jot down formulas or complex explanations, just leave the simple stuff during practice and ask the teacher if you don't know how to do something. This is pretty much how I study for maths but it'll probably be different for the higher years.

photastic

HSC
Top gurl enigma recommends MIF for understanding the foundations before practicing. Understand > HSC

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Review your current level of maths knowledge. Do you know the key fundamentals all from Yr 7 to Yr 10? And in Yr 11? My suspicions are that you have big holes in your maths foundation. Fill up those holes quickly before trying to do exercises and the "practice, practice, practice .." advice often offered here. What is the use of practising questions when you are not ready; are ill-equipped. You yourself may not be able to identify those holes in your knowledge. People often say they make many careless mistakes. I often think they are not careless mistakes, but glaring manifestations of a poor maths background.

Also very important: do you have an aptitude for maths? I think some people just do not have the mind for maths; period.

I'm currently helping a Yr 10 student fill up the many holes he has in his maths foundation. It is a slow process and needs a lot of determination and effort on the part of the student. To see his face light up with excitement when he masters an area that has previously befuddled him - that is the most rewarding thing to me.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
Review your current level of maths knowledge. Do you know the key fundamentals all from Yr 7 to Yr 10? My suspicions are that you have big holes in your maths foundation. Fill up those holes quickly before trying to do exercises and the "practice, practice, practice .." advice often offered here. What is the use of practising questions when you are not ready; are ill-equipped. You yourself may not be able to identify those holes in your knowledge. People often say they make many careless mistakes. I often think they are not careless mistakes, but glaring manifestations of a poor maths background.

I'm currently helping a Yr 10 student fill up the many holes he has in his maths foundation. It is a slow process and needs a lot of determination and effort on the part of the student.
+1 and repped. Couldn't have said it better myself. In my opinion, advice given to OP should have considered their situation, before giving the generic advice of "practice, practice, practice".

SquareZ

HSC
Practice, time yourself, practice more and time more. When you can breeze through textbook questions or whatever your work off, you should be fine. Then in the exam make sure you check over your answers plenty of times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)