• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Best Open Day (1 Viewer)

Best open day

• UNSW

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • USYD

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • UTS

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • UWS

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I'm interested in which unis had the best open day, and why

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
In September I went to USYD, UTS and Notre Dames open day....

Notre Dame - just a few tables in a room with a page on each course...nothing special...friendly staff

UTS - free food and ice cream...helpful people in the IT part but no one seemed interested in talking anywhere else

USYD - I had no idea where i was half the time...loved the grounds tho (highly contrasted to UTS)

Chris.

HSC
i only went to unsw. couldnt be fucked after those long stairs. economics people were pretty unhelpful. it seems like people dont have personalities there lol. ill still put it as my first preference

H

housemouse

Probably just UNSW. I only went to the USYD one today and people there were very helpful.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Typical Sydneysider, failing to mention anything outside the metropolitan area ... you're forgetting Newcastle and UNE (you even failed to meniton Macquarie)! Despite what people around here say and think (most of them have never been near the 'Dale, and if they haven, they've barely stayed there long enough to take anything in), we're actually a serious university - in terms of the number and quality of graduates we pump out, we're ranked third in the state. Given that there's five universities in the Sydeny area, that means we're walking all over at least three of you. UNE Open Day not only gives full advice for careers and courses, but there's faculty and college tours available by people who don't just know their stuff, they're dead friendly as well. Free barbecue and plenty of stuff to take back home that helps with careers as well.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
bobness said:
UNE accepts people with uais of 35.

lose
Those people are doing Arts. And they only got in through Principal's Rec.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The advisors seemed more helpful at Macquarie and UNSW. But overall, I liked the UNSW open day.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
umm yeah...missing MQ is a bit odd

I was there on their pathways day december 2005...they had a dj and that was about it...?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
ObjectsInSpace said:
Those people are doing Arts. And they only got in through Principal's Rec.
So people actually did get in with a UAI or 35?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
UoW also had an open day today, I'm not sure what it was like though.

I just went to the UNSW one, but I liked it. Only annoying thing was how packed the arts lecture was, and there was some problem with the lights and they kept flicking on and off.. and the powerpoint presentation didn't work.

I liked the campus though, and all the people there seemed really nice (and some dude handing out pamphlets for philosophy seemed a little TOO nice... and desperate for people to take them...).

The awesome grass alone made the day in the end.

H

housemouse

I believe the "other" option is avaliable to choose in the poll.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
Typical Sydneysider, failing to mention anything outside the metropolitan area ... you're forgetting Newcastle and UNE (you even failed to meniton Macquarie)! Despite what people around here say and think (most of them have never been near the 'Dale, and if they haven, they've barely stayed there long enough to take anything in), we're actually a serious university - in terms of the number and quality of graduates we pump out, we're ranked third in the state. Given that there's five universities in the Sydeny area, that means we're walking all over at least three of you. UNE Open Day not only gives full advice for careers and courses, but there's faculty and college tours available by people who don't just know their stuff, they're dead friendly as well. Free barbecue and plenty of stuff to take back home that helps with careers as well.
considering the majority of people from this forum would have visited the UNSW-USYD-UTS trifecta, I aimed the poll at these people. And sorry for MAQ ppl, I knew I left one out :(

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
So people actually did get in with a UAI or 35?
I know a guy who got 40-ish and got in through SRAS. I also know he failed every subject last year and therefore won't be returning to college. See, you actually need to perform in class to keep your place at your college.

ditto.

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
I know a guy who got 40-ish and got in through SRAS. I also know he failed every subject last year and therefore won't be returning to college. See, you actually need to perform in class to keep your place at your college.
More like SARS, LOAL.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
was he a 'special'. if you try to get into uni and get such a uai, you pretty much have to be.

Chris.

HSC
stazi said:
was he a 'special'. if you try to get into uni and get such a uai, you pretty much have to be.
lol slack. anyway...any1 else doing B eco at unsw? *crickets*

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Chris. said:
it's not really slack. i know a few people of uais in that range, and not a single one tried at all - i.e. walked out of the exam after 1/2 an hour.

HSC
Chris. said:
Yeah that would be me. Youre right about the lecturers, they seemed dead and couldnt communicate properly half the time.....although yeah im still gonna do it. Just look out for the only aussie there and that will be me.

kathrynso

HSC
I only planned to visit UNSW and UTS but my friends also wanted to go to Usyd. So my day:

UNSW: spent way too long there. One reason not to go there solely on the number of stairs there lol. Lectures were a bit boring. Esp. the Arts one, when technologies weren't their best. I didn't know they had a dance xourse there, very excited. I wanted one of those red uni bags but I didn't know where to get one so my friend got me a Business one, felt like I wanted to discard it, but didn't. The sausage sizzle was good. I can't properly remember the stalls anymore. But they wre really crowded. Did the security remove the "free david hicks" people?

UTS: I was looking forward to this one. Greeted by red carpet and radio DJ, very different atmosphere. Free halfmelted banana ice cream! Yay lol, didn't have any though. The people at the science stalls were very helpful. Very hard to walk away from them after a moment of awkwardness. I like the colour coded courses.

USyd: As always the beautiful buildings were so stunning. My friend scored a loaf of free bread. The people at the stalls were very informative even though my friend and I came with no questions. The bags were very nice though. It started to rain when we got out.

I'm probably very biased making this decision but I like UTS the best then Sydney.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)