best scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

red-butterfly

HSC
i kinda wish i chose at least 1 science in the mix.

Although i chose the subjects that i wanted to do... I learnt to hate them with a firey passion

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Maths Ext. 2, Maths Ext 1, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, English Ext 1 + 2, History extension are the usual ones that scale excellently.

The ones that scale very well/decently/ones most people don't know about include modern history, biology, mathematics, legal studies, geography, music extension 2.

But just do what you love and only consider scaling if you can't decide between a few subjects that you like and all else fails.

adriano_negr0

HSC
Maths Ext. 2, Maths Ext 1, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, English Ext 1 + 2, History extension are the usual ones that scale excellently.

The ones that scale very well/decently/ones most people don't know about include modern history, biology, mathematics, legal studies, geography, music extension 2.

But just do what you love and only consider scaling if you can't decide between a few subjects that you like and all else fails.
music 2?

HSC
Look, if I was you I would forget about scaling and what subjects scale better than others. I took a few low-ranking subjects and did just as well as many of those who did high-ranking subjects.

Choose subjects that you will enjoy, and therefore be motivated to study for and work hard towards achieving in. Choose some subjects that will challenge you, and be a bit of a struggle to achieve in, and choose at least one subject that you know you can succeed in.

Whilst the scaling between Standard and Advanced English is very dramatic, for other subjects I honestly feel that it is to your advantage to almost completely disregard information on subject scaling. In the end, if you can pull out assessment marks in the mid 80's, and aim to match or exceed these marks in HSC, you are scaled far less anyway as you pull yourself out of the clump of students achieving average marks in that subject.

Achieve in subjects you enjoy/can succeed in/will challenge you, rather than struggle to achieve average results in high ranking subjects. Great marks in "average subjects" will almost always match good marks in "superior subjects".

Jennytool

HSC
Whine whine whine.

Play the game properly and suck up to your teachers kk?

XXOOOXOXOXOXOXXOOOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Tofuu

HSC
4unit math and italian ext

or was it latin?

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But who does Latin and Italian Ext? Out of the mainstream courses, Maths Extension 2, MX1, Chemistry, Physics, Economics.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
I know quite a few people who do latin. And yes, it is an epically scaling subject.
On another note, hope someone comes along soon and gets rid of all the trolling horny/pervertedly religious people who are ruining our perfectly good threads with their nonsense.

Jackie.bored

HSC
Hehe. I do Latin, and Latin Extension. :D
But you do have to do well in them, even if you get band 6, it might not count because of the high quality of the candidature. (Try and get a hold of the 'All about your ATAR' booklet and it compares 96 in Latin and Geography. Geography comes out on top!) I know of several people who did Latin Extension and it didn't count to their ATAR. :O

twistedrebel

HSC
Hehe. I do Latin, and Latin Extension. :D
But you do have to do well in them, even if you get band 6, it might not count because of the high quality of the candidature. (Try and get a hold of the 'All about your ATAR' booklet and it compares 96 in Latin and Geography. Geography comes out on top!) I know of several people who did Latin Extension and it didn't count to their ATAR. :O
you mean did?

Dont do capped subjects and pick what you enjoy and you ll be fine.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Bah that's a bit confusing... maybe because it's nearly midnight <_<

Misyndo

HSC
Whilst the scaling between Standard and Advanced English is very dramatic, for other subjects I honestly feel that it is to your advantage to almost completely disregard information on subject scaling.
They scale nearly the same. Just that the alignment is different.

As demonstrated from the UAC tables themselves.
English Standard 47 > 46.4 scaled.
English Advanced 47.5 > 46.9 scaled.

English Standard 43 > 37.9 scaled
English Advanced 42.5 > 37.8 scaled.

Roughly the same.

Albeit achieving a mark between 43+ is harder then Advanced because 43+ is in the P99 range while 42.5 in Advanced puts you in the P75 range.
However that's (most likely) because that the Advanced candidature is better as a whole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)