Best UNI for Commerce/Law or Business/Law??? (1 Viewer)

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
So guys, my ultimate dream to study Law at USYD looks unlikely from here (though I still live in hope) with a UAI of 98.75.

I was thinking of transferring to USYD Law for second year Uni and I have been looking at prospectuses (sp?) for the Unis and right now B Bus/LLB at UTS looks appealing.

I was wondering if anyone in a law course at one of the aforementioned unis could shed some light on this subject for me

Regards

Chibs

Also, the degree I want to combine law with is Business/Commerce, so which Uni offers the best course for this combination?

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
Chibios said:
So guys, my ultimate dream to study Law at USYD looks unlikely from here (though I still live in hope) with a UAI of 98.75.

I was thinking of transferring to USYD Law for second year Uni and I have been looking at prospectuses (sp?) for the Unis and right now B Bus/LLB at UTS looks appealing.

I was wondering if anyone in a law course at one of the aforementioned unis could shed some light on this subject for me

Regards

Chibs

Also, the degree I want to combine law with is Business/Commerce, so which Uni offers the best course for this combination?
With your great UAI, I think you're definitely going to able to transfer, as long as you put in a decent effort in first year.

Knowing that, I personally believe that BBus/LLB for you next year might not be the best option.

Uni is as much about the course as it is about the people. And those bonds that are so important in later life are often formed in the first year of university. So why go to UTS and know UTS people, when you could be elsewhere? At Sydney, you meet fellow students who'll succeed and get places in life.*

What I would suggest is that you do a straight BCom at Sydney, then transfer - it's almost guaranteed for you, and the benefits of it are huge.

*No offence to UTS students - I'm just saying, on average, Sydney graduates are more likely to succeed in law.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Domitius E said:
At Sydney, you meet fellow students who'll succeed and get places in life.*
i know... i mean, it's one of my all-time biggest regrets not having gone to Sydney and met you Domitius... otherwise, who knows how many doors you could open for me in the future... funny how Sydney Law School doesn't market "networking with your fellow students, tomorrow's movers-and-shakers" as one of the core features of its undergraduate programs. :rolleyes:

spence

HSC
Domitius E said:
With your great UAI, I think you're definitely going to able to transfer, as long as you put in a decent effort in first year.

Knowing that, I personally believe that BBus/LLB for you next year might not be the best option.

Uni is as much about the course as it is about the people. And those bonds that are so important in later life are often formed in the first year of university. So why go to UTS and know UTS people, when you could be elsewhere? At Sydney, you meet fellow students who'll succeed and get places in life.*

What I would suggest is that you do a straight BCom at Sydney, then transfer - it's almost guaranteed for you, and the benefits of it are huge.

*No offence to UTS students - I'm just saying, on average, Sydney graduates are more likely to succeed in law.
Sounds like a stupid idea to me. You don't know that your marks will be good enough for a transfer, so you might end up not being able to do law at all. UTS law seems really good based on friend's opinions

Nivi7

HSC
Heya Jen!!!

I'm having da same problem since I wanted to do law at usyd but my uai's a tad too low. I've done a bit of research and ppl say that UTS is pretty good but you could also consider Macquarie cuz I've heard that actuaries' great there, if that's wot u want to major in.

If you want to stick to a g8 uni, not that i'm sure that it'll make any difference if you want to transfer, you could consider ANU. McDerrmot said that the law school's great and their atmosphere's pretty friendly as well!

I dunno if you've heard but UNSW have this new scheme where if u get a UAI >97, u only need a high credit average and you're guaranteed a transfer into combined law in 2010! You probably have a pretty good shot at transferring there as well!

Have fun choosing a course!!!!

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
i know... i mean, it's one of my all-time biggest regrets not having gone to Sydney and met you Domitius... otherwise, who knows how many doors you could open for me in the future... funny how Sydney Law School doesn't market "networking with your fellow students, tomorrow's movers-and-shakers" as one of the core features of its undergraduate programs. :rolleyes:
did you know its also true that people who do not network with Sydney University Law students cannot hold a job, have relationship problems and end up problem drinkers? its true you know.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
If it really is your dream to study law at USyd you should take up law at UTS, work really hard to get a distinction average and then transfer into a similar program at USyd, taking credit for everything you did at UTS.

At best you end up going to USyd and you can live your dream.

At worst you end up at UTS doing law... which is a great law school and will easily allow you to live your bigger dream (which is hopefully working on some big cases for some big firms?) if you try hard enough.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Domitius E said:

My all time favourite post. :guitar:

lionking1191

HSC
gibbo153 said:
did you know its also true that people who do not network with Sydney University Law students cannot hold a job, have relationship problems and end up problem drinkers? its true you know.
in essence, go to usyd law or fail at life :rolleyes:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
gibbo153 said:
No that's not true. People who do not attempt to reach out to Sydney University law students for salvation are sent to the pound where they are humanely put down to save them the pain and humiliation they would've inevitably suffered later in life.

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
Admit it! It's just sour grapes.

I bet none of you responders got 99.55+

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i bet you're a loser

*token black posse shouts various forms of "damn nigger" in approval*

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Domitius E said:
Admit it! It's just sour grapes.

No I didn't, I cry myself to sleep every night because I am not as intellectually superior as you.

Most uni students don't give a crap about their UAI, the only time I ever mention it is when people want to get a rough idea what is required for a UWS-> MQ transfer. Dude, for me it was 3 years ago...

Those who still believe their UAI to be important are most likely those with dismal GPAs/WAMs.

I don't want to go to Sydney thanks, I have been to MQ and UWS, have a great paralegal job with an SC and another barrister and got an interview for Blake Dawson. I bet my extra-ciricular experience owns/will own yours.

TO THE OP - ultimately its your choice but keep in mind, get good grades, participate in moots, get related work experience and interview well and you will be a great applicant! Yes, prestige is important but times are changing and the choices avaliable to you with your UAI are all great

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Domitius E said:
by that statement, i take it you haven't stepped into law school yet?

dude. take your UAI. shove it up your arse. coz we don't care. :)

Lara1986

HSC
Domitius E said:
These debates are always interesting - i.e. those concerning 'success' in law/as a lawyer.

It's all relative to your own goals so any statements about the 'success' of graduates shouldn't weigh too heavily on any decision. It's also relative to the area of law you want to work in and whether you want a life outside work or not.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Lara1986 said:
These debates are always interesting - i.e. those concerning 'success' in law/as a lawyer.

It's all relative to your own goals so any statements about the 'success' of graduates shouldn't weigh too heavily on any decision. It's also relative to the area of law you want to work in and whether you want a life outside work or not.
completely correct. in fact its someone like the poster who said that, with such unbelievably distorted views of everything, that will end up a failure. poor guy

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
Nivi7 said:
Heya Jen!!!

I'm having da same problem since I wanted to do law at usyd but my uai's a tad too low. I've done a bit of research and ppl say that UTS is pretty good but you could also consider Macquarie cuz I've heard that actuaries' great there, if that's wot u want to major in.

If you want to stick to a g8 uni, not that i'm sure that it'll make any difference if you want to transfer, you could consider ANU. McDerrmot said that the law school's great and their atmosphere's pretty friendly as well!

I dunno if you've heard but UNSW have this new scheme where if u get a UAI >97, u only need a high credit average and you're guaranteed a transfer into combined law in 2010! You probably have a pretty good shot at transferring there as well!

Have fun choosing a course!!!!
Thanks Nivi, btw Info Day is coming up tomorrow for USYD, UTS, UNSW...are you going? Maybe we could meet somewhere and catch up or somethingorother.

I have thought about ANU and indeed, it does sound like a good uni with a very good law program to boot, but the only downside is that it is Canberra and that means I will have to relocate there to live, and I don't think I'm quite ready for the challenge of fending for myself...just yet. Besides, it seems like so much effort to just go there for a year and transfer, thats why I'm still undecided.

In regards to Actuarial Studies....I've done 4 unit maths and survived so I'm not really sure if its the way to go for me...considering my very extreme reaction after the 4 unit exam which involved a bonfire in my uncle's bbq...

In essense: no.

Have you decided where you want to go?

Nivi7

HSC
Chibios said:
Thanks Nivi, btw Info Day is coming up tomorrow for USYD, UTS, UNSW...are you going? Maybe we could meet somewhere and catch up or somethingorother.

I have thought about ANU and indeed, it does sound like a good uni with a very good law program to boot, but the only downside is that it is Canberra and that means I will have to relocate there to live, and I don't think I'm quite ready for the challenge of fending for myself...just yet. Besides, it seems like so much effort to just go there for a year and transfer, thats why I'm still undecided.

In regards to Actuarial Studies....I've done 4 unit maths and survived so I'm not really sure if its the way to go for me...considering my very extreme reaction after the 4 unit exam which involved a bonfire in my uncle's bbq...

In essense: no.

Have you decided where you want to go?
yeah, I've decided to go to ANU. If I can't transfer after 1st year, I'd rather graduate from ANU than Macquarie. I haven't really given UTS much of a thought...probably cuz da uni and I share a history.

Anyway, my finances are the only problem I have to face at the moment. My parents are willing to pay for all my accomodation, food, books, etc, but I'd feel really guilty if they spent so much money on me. My savings will comfortably get me through 1st year and perhaps a bit of 2nd year but I'll need to find a part time job to ease my guilt.

I didn't go to the usyd open day today cuz I'm pretty sure I will not be getting any offers for the courses I've listed. Still, there's no harm in hoping...

Btw, do u know anyone from our school who's gonna go to Macquarie to do any course???? Everyone I know wants to go to either USYD, UNSW or UTS.

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
Nivi7 said:
yeah, I've decided to go to ANU. If I can't transfer after 1st year, I'd rather graduate from ANU than Macquarie. I haven't really given UTS much of a thought...probably cuz da uni and I share a history.

Anyway, my finances are the only problem I have to face at the moment. My parents are willing to pay for all my accomodation, food, books, etc, but I'd feel really guilty if they spend so much money on me. My savings will comfortably get me through 1st year and perhaps a bit of 2nd year but I'll need to find a part time job to ease my guilt.

I didn't go to the usyd open day today cuz I'm pretty sure I will not be getting any offers for the courses I've listed. Still, there's no harm in hoping...
ANU scholarship over UNSW no scholarship... it's tempting...

cjdart

HSC
Domitius E u r a tool. why dont u pull ur head out of ur arse and realise that u are a loser with no mates, and by saying ridiculous and stupid things like uts is shit or whateva u said is going to give abslutely no chance of making friends. It just highlights that u need a bullet and that in fact it is u who is going nowhere u stupid prick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)