• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Best unis in Australia (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
freejk said:
How would you rank universities in australia
FFS there is a new "which uni is best" thread appearing every week! FFS use the search function!!!

ok here is my summary
a) depends what you are intending to study (faculty and course)
b) depends what UAI you have
c) depends if you are scared of leaving {your city}
d) depends how much money you have.
e) depends if the name of the University means alot to you on your CV
f) depends on your parents (where they went/where they WONT let you go)

EDIT - Use your brain and consider the above points. At least then you could get a good response from BOS users.

PS - try UWS - its on the same standard as Harvard ;)

Last edited:

decagon

HSC
juggernaut said:
how come in movies they make out admission to brown university is like so amazingly redicuously competitive and to get in you have to be soooo genius, yet its not even in the top 100 ?

(talking about oc where summer is labelled as genius cause she gets into brown but seth misses out)

same with how yale is like pinnacle of education yet a place called massachusettes institute of tech has same ranking....... ive never even heard of it -_-

also how come we don't have private university's in Australia ? they look so cool, wish i went to one in the states :D
What are you talking of man?! Brown is ranked as the world's 27th best university. It is one of the leading American universities, with solid teaching and research reputation.

Link: http://www.topuniversities.com/university_rankings/results/2008/overall_rankings/fullrankings

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Best unis in Australia

Forbidden. said:
UNSW

end thread
lol.

(although it is one of the top uni's in my mind, it is not the best)

xoa

HSC
I've been to a few unis in Australia - "new age" and sandstone - and I have to say they're all approximately mediocre. There is no "best" or "worst". It's like asking what's the "best" public hospital. Government beaurocrats and social engineering ensures that everything is standardised. You pay your HECS and you get your McDegree (hopefully) 3 or 4 years later. It's education on an industrial scale - an impersonal admission process, massive lecture halls, automated assessment.

Some people here denigrate the American system, which is pretty unfair. Sure, Americans pay more, but if they shop carefully they can also get more - a quality classical education. You'll never see a respectable American university replacing lectures with "vodcasts" or admiting cashed up international students who can't conjugate a sentence. They also have extensive need and merit based scholarship programs. If my children were interested in getting a well-rounded education, I'd pay for them to study internationally.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Can't believe people haven't heard of MIT :|

*would love to go there*

HSC
Yale in The Simpsons is always seen as second to Harvard :rolleyes:

And Australia do have private universities, Notre Dame, Bond etc.

EdmondDW

HSC
jackmurray1989 said:
I'm suprised CalTech is ranked first in the world. I thought it was a lower-class university.
CalTech....it has the highest Nobel Prize density...how can u say it is a lower-class uni?

But it is pretty small, the student number is just around 900....

Anyway, CalTech is totally my dream~:headbang:

X

xeuyrawp

kevinx2 said:
Yale in The Simpsons is always seen as second to Harvard :rolleyes:
Wow that just went over your head. :p

The writers of the show pay out Harvard for similar reasons that they pay out Fox. One group, who are Groening's buddies, all went to Harvard together. John Vitti was one, from memory. Can't remember the others except for Mike Reiss, who isn't a Simpsons writer but is part of that comic group which came from Harvard...

Ie, the writers are all fans of self-deprecating humour.

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Wow that just went over your head. :p

The writers of the show pay out Harvard for similar reasons that they pay out Fox. One group, who are Groening's buddies, all went to Harvard together. John Vitti was one, from memory. Can't remember the others except for Mike Reiss, who isn't a Simpsons writer but is part of that comic group which came from Harvard...

Ie, the writers are all fans of self-deprecating humour.
Hahaha, interestin

boris

Banned
HSC
Lol can't believe CSU is higher than USQ. Time to change uni then i guess. Anyone know any unis that do engineering by distance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)