Best university for politics/law (1 Viewer)

Existential

HSC
N/A
Hey,

Short of going to Canberra, what would be my best options (please name degrees) out of say USYD, MAQ, UTS, NEWCASTLE.

I'm really interested in politics and law and hope to find the best degree that will both provide me with scope in careers and qualifications.

Thanks so much.

X

xeuyrawp

Hey,

Short of going to Canberra, what would be my best options (please name degrees) out of say USYD, MAQ, UTS, NEWCASTLE.

I'm really interested in politics and law and hope to find the best degree that will both provide me with scope in careers and qualifications.

Thanks so much.
It difficult to make generalisations for subjects which are taught at all unis, but honestly, out of those 4, Sydney is easily the best choice.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Politics/Law at USyd is pretty much what I'm doing.

But yeah, of those universities, general consensus will be USyd.

-

[in Shadowdude voice]: Why not UNSW?

Shadowdude, because UNSW sucks for Arts. :p

Existential

HSC
N/A
What if I don't get the high 90s ATAR required for sydney, but get enough to get into say MAQ arts/law.

Would it be better to to combined law at MAQ
or do arts undergrad then grad law at USYD?

aznboystar

Honourary Azn
HSC
What if I don't get the high 90s ATAR required for sydney, but get enough to get into say MAQ arts/law.

Would it be better to to combined law at MAQ
or do arts undergrad then grad law at USYD?
i believe u can transfer into USyd undergrad law after 1 year if you have decent grades.

Existential

HSC
N/A
i believe u can transfer into USyd undergrad law after 1 year if you have decent grades.
Ok, heres the summary:

MAQ:
Pros - closer and easier by transport than USYD.
Cons - not as prestigious than USYD.

USYD:
Pros - more of a pain with transport than MAQ.
Cons - more prestigious than MAQ.

I'm going to the MAQ Open Day so I'll get a better idea of what their respective courses are then. Surely its not miniscule compared to USYD....?

X

xeuyrawp

Ok, heres the summary:

MAQ:
Pros - closer and easier by transport than USYD.
Cons - not as prestigious than USYD.

USYD:
Pros - more of a pain with transport than MAQ.
Cons - more prestigious than MAQ.

I'm going to the MAQ Open Day so I'll get a better idea of what their respective courses are then. Surely its not miniscule compared to USYD....?
The proximity is certainly an issue. Macquarie is right around the corner from me - was ace while I was doing my undergrad.

But seriously, if you can get into Sydney Combined Law and you end up going to Macquarie, you're going to be sorely disappointed with the classes and fellow students.

Existential

HSC
N/A
The proximity is certainly an issue. Macquarie is right around the corner from me - was ace while I was doing my undergrad.

But seriously, if you can get into Sydney Combined Law and you end up going to Macquarie, you're going to be sorely disappointed with the classes and fellow students.
More than likely I won't get the ATAR for Sydney but I probs will for Maq. Why would i be disappointed?

X

xeuyrawp

More than likely I won't get the ATAR for Sydney but I probs will for Maq. Why would i be disappointed?
There are obviously a number of other unis in Sydney, so you should consider them as well.

Macquarie's law department is terrible. It's under-funded and is notoriously awful. I'd usually not want to slag off a specific degree at a university, but students need to be warned that Macquarie law is honestly sub-par.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Should note that the rest of Macquarie is fine though. I haven't heard bad things about anything else at Macquarie.

X

xeuyrawp

Should note that the rest of Macquarie is fine though. I haven't heard bad things about anything else at Macquarie.
Of course! The problems in the law department are exclusively endemic there, though, and have been for a while.

Some areas of the university are excellent, just not law.

Last edited by a moderator:

Existential

HSC
N/A
Well I'll make my own judgement on MAQ law, but thanks for the contributions.

What about MAQ arts? Does anyone have a view on their arts and humanities faculty (in particular the politics and international relations department).

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Of course! The problems in the law department are exclusively endemic there, though, and have been for a while.

Some areas of the university are excellent, just now law.
im just curious how 'bad' the mq law department is?? i've never heard of anything negative about them o_O?? mq law/comm is on my first pref. for uac o.o.. ??

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
UTS is a pretty good uni I've heard. Not sure if they do politics, but if you can get the ATAR, then definitely have a look at them.

Existential

HSC
N/A
UTS is a pretty good uni I've heard. Not sure if they do politics, but if you can get the ATAR, then definitely have a look at them.
I didn't make it to their Open Day. I just checked their website - they don't have an arts faculty for starters, let alone any study of politics. While their law faculty looks good, the lack of arts doesn't quite cut it for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

mark H

HSC
The fundamental question is what do you want to learn in the politics degree: do you like the powerplay & influence/persuasion (party politics & practicality) or do you want general theory. If you want the theory go UNSW or Sydney, if you want the practicality DON'T go UNSW or Sydney.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you want the theory go UNSW or Sydney, if you want the practicality DON'T go UNSW or Sydney.
How about you don't talk about things you don't know about?

Existential

HSC
N/A
do you like the powerplay & influence/persuasion (party politics & practicality) or do you want general theory.
Is it too much to ask for a bit of both?

If you want the theory go UNSW or Sydney, if you want the practicality DON'T go UNSW or Sydney.
If you are suggesting USYD isn't as practical as elsewhere, you could at least give examples to try to justify what you're asserting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)