best way to study for a chem prac test? (1 Viewer)

rudi

hey guys i got a chemistry practical test coming up soon and i was just wondering what you guys think is the best way to study. For practicals like with galvanic cells should i remember all the electrodes or should i just know the method?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
what do u mean by remembering all the electrodes?
know that cathode = reduction, anode = oxidation, and what the formulae look like.
and know how to draw and label the diagrams.

and i think there is an exact same thread under chemistry.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i dont do science but someof my friends tell me that they memorise the experiment and results so on the day
they go in, pretend to do it for like 10 minutes then regurgitate the crammed info

works for them too

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
that'd be learning an awful lot of extra stuff... and it would only work if u knew exactly what the prac will be.

like we knew it would be a titration prac for our half yearly exam, but it was not an acid-base one like what we did in class. so yea.. quite risky if u memorise pracs. learn the discussion though

is a roflcopter
HSC
arnt you given the prac details beforehand?
i dunno how it works

but all my friends seem so confident in pracs :D

DODGY SCIENCE DEPARTMENT :D

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
practise writing conclusions regarding validity and reliability. You should be given an assessment notice staement that list the outcomes assessed, from which you can basically guess the prac or roughly the area being tested.

and Newbie, 10 min is really a waste, 2 minute is long enough especially if you sit right at the back:D

freakofcool

Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
practise writing conclusions regarding validity and reliability. You should be given an assessment notice staement that list the outcomes assessed, from which you can basically guess the prac or roughly the area being tested.
Exactly. Our class would have at least done the prac once so it should be easy. But the notice definately helps you find out what could be tested, etc.

in a far far away galaxy.... !splat!....hmmm i don
tips

you can't really. but remember all ur cation anion tests, how to use mollymods- er model kits and don't forget to peek inside the roomif u can. oh and just hope that the kit ur given isn't contaminated like mine was. damn the person b4 me.

but then again fort st is cheap so what do u expect?

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Practice the actual physical procedures. For example we're most probably gonna be doing titrations so in the next few weeks im gonna try and get my teacher to allow me to come during free periods to practice doing titrations.

spice girl

magic mirror
if ur school can afford to have a titration as a prac test, it has TOO MUCH MONEY on its hands...

lbft

Geek
HSC
My school is fairly cheap but we can afford a titration prac test.. (unfortunately)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
if ur school can afford to have a titration as a prac test, it has TOO MUCH MONEY on its hands...
i thought that, until they pulled teh idea to use plastic pipettes and measuring cylinders out of their arse....:rolleyes:

N

ND

Originally posted by spice girl
Why do you say this? I go to a govt school which is quite cheap, but our first prac was a titration.

N

ND

Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
i thought that, until they pulled teh idea to use plastic pipettes and measuring cylinders out of their arse....:rolleyes:
Hahaha. Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;) :p

spice girl

magic mirror
how can they afford so many burettes? I guess there's not very many chem students then...we can never afford a titration test...cos there's not enough burettes to go around...

N

ND

Ah yeh, we've only got like 15-20 burettes. I suppose at JR or SB you'd need like 5 times that amount.

freakofcool

Our first titration was a prac as well. And our Chem class is pretty big with 18 students, at least to me it feels big. And we practice our titrations during the lessons prior to when we had to do the assessments. So you'd be really stupid if u stuffed it up!

spice girl, didn't your school have a chem class before? Cos wouldn't they just have burettes from back then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)