better in ext. than advance (1 Viewer)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Sorry about the empty spam posts, hopefully it is okay this time.

Anyway my question is this: I am currently doing better in ext english than advance. Assuming this 'trend' applied in both ext 1 & 2 english in the HSC, and that I am doing 12 units and advance english is my worst 2 units. Would the board remove advance english from the counted 10 units?

And would doing crap in english advance have any effect on the ext 1 &2 english marks?

HSC
english advanced has no effect on ext 1 or ext 2 as they are different subjects, and no subjects in the hsc can give you better/worse marks in other subjects. Also, if english advanced is your worst after scaling, then one unit of eng ext1 or 2 units of ext if you do 4 unit english, will count to your uai rather than eng adv.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Then I must have misinterpreted, can anyone please explain to me what this mean?:

The scaled standard deviations for 2 unit courses are the standard deviations of the measure of academic achievement of the course candidatures.

For Extension courses the scaled means and standard deviations are determined by the performance of the Extension students on the corresponding 2 unit courses.

A second Extension course exists for both Mathematics and English. Scaled means and standard deviations for their Extension 1 courses are calculated as described above. The scaled mean and standard deviation for the Mathematics Extension 2 course are then determined by the performance of the Extension 2 students in the Mathematics Extension 1 course. For English Extension 2, the scaled mean and standard deviation are determined by their performance in English Advanced. (This option is not available for Mathematics as the Extension 2 students do not complete the Mathematics 2 unit paper.)

http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/scaling_report_2006-web.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)