Big Day Out 2008 (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Trip there
So i get to Wollongong train station 1/2 hour before the train and its packed to shit. Wait in line for a ticket and i dont get one in time, so me along with about 50 other people just jump the train. I got some friends who were getting on at a later station to grab me a ticket and i was right then. In return i saved them some stair place to sit down in.

First thing at central is dogs and police...lame. Saw a few people get pulled up, grab a "BDO TRAIN' ticket [which is actually good to take you back to whatever station so whooooo] and make it on the second train with a seat this time.

Exit olympic park, a few scalpers, a few more dogs and and assload of cops. The gates were like checkpoint charlie. This dude with a massive sunbraro[sp?] got busted with a heap of pills which was lulz, as was the girl throwing up before she even got in.

OK stage acts: Operator please wasnt actually that bad, pretty easy to listen to, fun music and the performers looked like they had a lot of fun, not hesitant or anything like i thought they would be.
Dizzee rascal was pretty good, old school had a good vibe to it, plus i took a piss and the toilets were set up awesome, no lines or anything. Boiler room was amazing, big mirror balls, good lights and the bar lines were only 5-10 mins on average. Big dance floors, lots of hot girls walking around in swim wear.

From there i went straight to orange and blue, make it into the D after talking to some people near the front of the line:D. Grinspoon was pretty good, i was right up the front for that then a mosh opened up so that was fun. Lots of pushing, a few crushes but nothing too bad. Midnight jugs were good. Hilltop opened up slow, but then around the middle of their set it went crazy everyone jumping around [i was in the first 30m or so] but not much pushing. Silver chair was shit. I dont mind their music all that much, but their act was kinda trying a bit too hard and alot of people in the D were booing.

After every act i was grabbing a bottle off the ground, going to the front and getting the crowd hozers to fill it up, i went through about 5 or 6 bottles which was fun. I was wondering what i would do if i needed to piss, i thought maybe use a bottle then i saw some guy just pull his dick out and piss around in a circle to clear some room cause of the crushes lol. I never ended up going, i guess i sweated out most of my water.
Got back into my spot and after 20mins or so of working i got into the centre stage, about 30m out.
Arcade fire or sombody[maybe anti-flag iam not sure who they were] was playing and after every song ended everyone was chanting RAGE RAGE RAGE.
Then a few crushes started happening, first from the back crushing the front, then front fighting back. it has started...

rage against the machine

Rage comes out and everyone goes crazy. They start playing and everyone is jumping, massive crushes, pushing and everything. The air got really really hot and i couldnt breathe, had to jump to get air[and iam 5`11" so not short] some big guys were around me and for some reason they were sorta looking out for me so i didnt get crushed as bad as others and i never fell down, but my face was plastered on some brute of a mans back for a bit. Heaps of crowd surfers, lots of jumping and the rock symbol. I nearly died from the crush and my legs were getting saw from moving back and forward and pushing in my back and sides and no breathing , but it was the best atmosphere. Girls be warned though, dont go in the front you will probably die. I am only average size and i only just survived[no joke, i was really ready to collapse from sore legs and lack of breath at the end], next time iam gonna bulk up, run a few miles and get fit cause that was crazy.

Best songs: bulls on parade, bullet in the head, killing in the name, sleep now in the fire, gorilla radio. I liked sleep now cause i managed to catch my breath for a little bit [remember the shit hot muggy used up air?] but the crushes were going constantly, sideways 10m, then back, then forward...felt like being in the ocean and getting smashed by giant waves over and over....except these waves and elbows and stood on your feet.
Towards the end i started leaving. First i would push with all my strength, then step forward about a foot. If i saw a big dude i would look at them and smile, then they shoved a bit of a gap for me. This 6foot 4 giant was getting his girlfriend or something out of there[she musta got crushed pretty bad, she was only little] so i followed him and he cleared a path and i got out of the D. Once on the grass it was like easy time, still crowded but not all pushing.

Got to the boiler room and met up with my friends [ i was with 3 little guys who were at the boiler with a girl, and 5 big dudes plus me went in the D] to see Carl Cox who was surprisingly good, good lights aswell. Then i ran into another friend who had driven up and he gave me a lift home.

Toll: Volleys? trashed, good choice for footwear because they are comfortable and durable and cheap, so i would wear them again, but just expect to buy a new pair after. Shirt? soaked. As in drenched in my sweat and others[remember the big guy i was stuck to?] Totally sore, sunburnt, broken watch but otherwise still alive.

What i learned for next time: volleys good idea, as are denim shorts with deep pockets. Either wear a singlet, or bring a spare shirt or take it off and stick it down your pants cause it will get soaked. Stick a drink bottle of water in each back pocket, you will die without it. Put a sweat band over your watch or leave it at home.
Bring:small tube of sunblock, some tissues to wipe sweat, gunk, binjuice or whatever. Two types of ID [i.e a current drivers license and and old one] student card, ticket and 200$ in different notes in a wallet with nothing else, no credit card or anything [only 1 ATM, it will take you hours to get money out]. A small stick of deodorant, phone and a piece of paper with friends numbers on it in case you lose your phone.

Do: Make really really specific meeting points for quick recovery, i.e "at that bin you threw your first empty into in the boiler room" and be prepared to wait, phone calls werent going through and sms took a few tries and a wait for the person to receive it.

All in all it was a pretty awesome day. I didn't get to see regurgatator or karnivool or kraft kuts or LCD or Bexta, but i got to see all the big big acts i wanted to see and i had some really great spots for them all.

all.time.fiend

WANT SOME FRIES
HSC
Tulipa said:
Went to their show at the enmore last night and they didn't play anything from My Favorite Weapon but I knew they wouldn't, they never do at shows these days. It was still fun though.
katietheskatie said:
brand new weren't shit as such, they were just like .. idk, they just played all new stuff. i just wanted to hear seventy times seven or the quiet things that no-one ever knows :(
when they toured last year they played a mixed bag of old and new stuff, like at the UNSW show they played jude law, quiet things, me vs maradona vs elvis etc etc

sXcGuRl69aU said:
brand new? um i didnt really know most of their shit but i enjoyed them

blasko was just so good hey :eek:
sarah blasko was sex.

hilltop hoods and silverchair were the low points of my day, mainly because they literally put me to sleep. bexta was suprisingly awesome and arcade fire from the front were brilliant

johnnypaul

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
hmm dizzee did

fix up look sharp
sirens
ol skool
flex
jus a rascal (he did that first)
stand up tall

i cant remember what else
Haha thanks champ. From what I saw, I remember he also did Excuse Me Please. That track went off

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Dumsum said:
It just seemed that no matter where I was I was subjected to inhaling second-hand smoke. Gross.
Most of the smoke i could smell wasnt tabacco....

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hah, how could you want to ban smoking? cigarettes are too loveable.

ps. i wish we had another one of those toilet rendezvous this yr babey.

pps. i cant remember whether it was pnau or dizzee when i saw you chris, but lol... it was a hektik suprise. but i was smaeked :eek:

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I got the barrier for Arcade Fire. I was sure I wouldn't make it there for Rage (people had been queuing there all day) but I got to 2 behind the barrier for the Hilltops and the barrier for Arcade Fire. I wasn't expecting much from the Arcade Fire crowd, since I'm like the only one of my friends that likes their stuff, and anyone I ask about them goes "who?" So it was a pleasure to be singing along with the band and the crowd.

Best song was definitely (Antichrist Television Blues) and Intervention... I didn't experience any bogans that didnt like the band except for some random guy who was like HAY GUYZ WHOS NEXT after the hilltops finished and we told him WHO THE FUX THAT ARE THEY LIKE HEAVY OR SOMETHING and we were like no... no they aren't... they're good though. Everyone at the barrier was allllll AF love though.

Other highlights of the day were Gyroscope and the Enter Shikari mosh where I got elbowed in the face but still had a good time :D. I also loved Rage of course but I had got my bag by then to avoid cloakroom crowds so I was limited to standing way at the back and dancing and moshing there which was still way good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)