Bigpond cable login error (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
Could someone please help me with this problem? I've been getting this message "2035E A problem with the network is preventing access to the authentication host" when I try to connect to bigpond cable using the bigpond cable login client.

Oddly, I plugged my modem into the laptop I'm on now and everything is fine. I haven't rang BigPond as I'm sure this is a problem with my computer and not with the cable.

The only thing I remember doing differently on my computer before I got the error was running anti-virus and deleting something called "NewDot" which doesn't seem like it's likely to affect the login client at all, but I really have no idea.

I've reinstalled the login client, and it still doesn't work on my computer.

Does anyone have any idea at all what's going on with my computer? :confused:

HSC
Turn of your computer, modem (at the wall as well) for half an hour, come back and try it again. If the problem persists, let us know.

Lainee

HSC
So I did what you said (actually left it off for about 12 hrs), and it still doesn't work? I turned off all firewall, anti-virus etc. and it has the exact same error. :( Anymore ideas?

Lavenderpup

HSC
on that computer, are your networking settings correct? perhaps try the same settings you have on your laptop?

katy-g

HSC
i used to get that alllllll the time until this guy i met who's in IT told me to reset all my settings on my router and my modem and then bingo it worked.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm... are you using the modem connected through a router or something which is managing it at all? I remember on my router I had to input the login server and so on in the settings.

Btw according to Bigpond service status;
Login Close Details
Service Disruption Start: Monday, 1 May 2006 7:00:00 AM AEST
Service Disruption End: Friday, 30 June 2006 4:00:00 PM AEST
Last Updated: Monday, 10 April 2006 2:36:18 PM AEST
Planned Upgrade: Yes
Customer Impact: Due to scheduled maintenance, customers in the area of Baronia,VIC may experience difficulties accessing the internet up to 30 minutes on any one day during the service disruption period. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Service Disruption Start: Monday, 15 May 2006 7:00:00 AM AEST
Service Disruption End: Monday, 19 June 2006 4:00:00 PM AEST
Last Updated: Friday, 12 May 2006 3:36:51 PM AEST
Customer Impact: Due to scheduled maintenance, customers in the area of Toowong, QLD may experience difficulties accessing the internet up to 30 minutes during the service disruption period. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Service Disruption Start: Monday, 15 May 2006 7:30:00 AM AEST
Service Disruption End: Friday, 28 July 2006 12:30:00 AM AEST
Last Updated: Friday, 12 May 2006 3:42:14 PM AEST
Customer Impact: Due to scheduled maintenance, customers in the area of Norwood, SA may experience difficulties accessing the internet up to 30 minutes during the service disruption period. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Connection / Timeouts Close Details
Service Disruption Start: Monday, 3 April 2006 7:00:00 AM AEST
Service Disruption End: Friday, 30 June 2006 4:00:00 PM AEST
Last Updated: Friday, 31 March 2006 10:04:55 AM AEDST
Customer Impact: Due to planned maintenance, BigPond Broadband Cable customers in Narre Warren, VIC may experience a number of short service interruptions on one day only during the disruption period. We recommend that customers power off and on their computer and modem before attempting to reconnect. We apologise for any inconvenience.
... but not sure if this applies to your area.

Source: http://www.bigpond.com/Help/servicestatus/cable/current/default.asp

Lainee

HSC
Lavenderpup said:
on that computer, are your networking settings correct? perhaps try the same settings you have on your laptop?
My laptop is running on XP and my computer is running on ME, but as far as I can tell the network settings on both look the same.

katy-g said:
i used to get that alllllll the time until this guy i met who's in IT told me to reset all my settings on my router and my modem and then bingo it worked.
I don't think I have a router? :confused: Do you know how I can reset my modem? Is that just unplugging it like what TerribleSpellor said?

seremify007 said:
Hmm... are you using the modem connected through a router or something which is managing it at all? I remember on my router I had to input the login server and so on in the settings.

Btw according to Bigpond service status;

... but not sure if this applies to your area.

Source: http://www.bigpond.com/Help/servicestatus/cable/current/default.asp
I don't think the modem is connected through a router. It's just directly connected to my computer.

And I'm in Sydney, so those unavailable times shouldn't have impacted me? And besides, internet has worked on my laptop perfectly uninterrupted while it still refuses to work on my computer. :(

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
Windows ME*

Most likely one giant source of problems for you.

Ohh I still have nightmares about ME on my computer.

Anyway, so if the modem->laptop works fine, then that's cool.

Try removing all the Bigpond software from your main computer, reinstall it, then try plugging it back in?

NB: Make sure to get a copy of the software to install BEFORE you remove it from your computer.

Should anything go wrong, you can still connect via your laptop and we can sort it out :)

Lainee

HSC
Mednez, I've removed the login client before and reinstalled it again but it still wasn't working. So this time I removed everything associated with bigpond, reinstalled everything one by one and still the error appears each time.

LOL you could be right about ME being a huge mess though. I'm getting a few funny things happening (e.g. turning on computer there's a RUNDLL error with NEWDOT, avast! antivirus tells me that it can't protect incoming mail etc.) But I could ignore all that if only my net was working! :(

MedNez

HSC
N/A
politik said:
Have you tried ringing Bigpond? After all, they created the application. Here are a few things to help you:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=newdot+remove
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=bigpond+login+client
and since you're unlikely to get this issue fixed here:
http://www.whirlpool.net.au/
the guys over there live and breath broadband.
Yeah I did a search of whirlpool, nothing conclusive :( (for this situation)

Lainee said:
I think so? How do I check?
Right click 'My Computer' on your desktop

Go to properties

Should say what service pack you have under 'System'

How long have you been getting this error?

Lainee

HSC
Yep, it says I've got Service Pack 2 installed. I've been getting this error since yesterday, but had problems with login for the last week (ie. didn't get the popup box but still had troubles connecting). I'd wait a few minutes, restart the computer and then could login normally. Not until yesterday was I unable to get in at all.

Politik - I'll ring BigPond tomorrow, but as I said in my first post, this doesn't seem like its a problem with the net, or the login client (as both work fine on my laptop) but one with my own computer. And I searched whirlpool too, but the closest problem there was with someone getting the same error but being able to at least login and then experiencing random disconnects.

Last edited:

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
I'll ring BigPond tomorrow
Just make a list of things to tell them you've done already, such as installing/reinstalling/etc/etc

Otherwise they'll try to make you do it all again

I wish we could help more, but I'm all out of ideas :\

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259 <-- there's assorted stuff there, but it's not directly applicable to your situation, bah

Last edited:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
oh.. i used to be with bigpond's cable,
now i'm with tpg's dsl2+.

No need to use a program like bigpond cable login as my modem can keep the connection alive forever.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Im with telstra as well as my girlfriend. Both of us have routers.

The difference is that all her computers have the tesltra login software and all of mine do not. She ALWAYS gets the stopid error you get, I never do. So thats why I dont use the login ...

The way she solves the problem .... she unplugs everything and lets it sit. If that doesnt work, she just waits it out. It usually mysteriously comes back after a day or 2 ...

(if you call telstra with a router they want you to take it off and then they help u get net back to your one computer, but that doesnt help you when you re-connect the router!)

Ac

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Hmm the only error i seem to get with bigpond is the 2033E error. Fukin annoying, think it means that bigpond is down in my area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)