Bike gear (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
By the looks of things I won't be getting a bike til around august. So in the meantime I'm gonna start saving up so I can begin stockpiling gear. First off will probably be jacket, eyeing RJAYS all seasons, $299, seems like a good deal for winter/summer/wet etc. Will probably go gloves then jeans after, and hold off the helmet til just before I get a bike.

Where should I be looking, is it that time where gear prices kick up in anticipation of winter, how much should I be spending on stuff, given I want it all to last a bit longer than the bike which chances are I'll get rid of when I'm free of restrictions?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
umm ya dude, my RJAYs helmet was only $160. As long as they are Australian standard I don't see the problem? How much better can a stupidly expensive shoei be? Mind you I have to say, Alpinestars make some awesome jackets with back, waist shoulder and elbow armour.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Gear prices don't go up afaik (although I suppose you could probably cut better package deals during the down season), they would only go up if gear was an item in seasonally limited supply.

Just buy a helmet that's comfortable. I always bought the cheapest one I could. They have an expiration date, you're supposed to chuck them after a few years anyway, so it's not going to wear out. They all meet the Australian standard. You spend much more time wearing it than crashing in it (that's the hope anyway), so comfort is the most important thing.

I'd get a lightish mesh summer type jacket (yet something waterproof), that you can wear thermals or a jumper underneath if necessary. You can get good all season jackets with vents and stuff now, that are still pretty warm when you need it.

Rjays stuff looks good. $299 is a very good price.

Get kevlar jeans. Get something that looks nice.

Gloves are a balance of thickness for durability (they're the item that'll wear out quickest), and feel, if they're too thick some people complain the controls are remote. Summer gloves are also bloody freezing, when you can't feel anything and can barely move your fingers, you'll wish you'd bought a winter pair. But it's up to you. You can get decent gloves starting from $60. Much $100+ is a waste of money.

Check sizes carefully. I bought all my gear too big. Stuff isn't cheap to replace. Want to buy a L touring jacket and a L pair of draggin jeans, undamaged?

Don't know anything about specific brands you should go for, sorry.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Buy everything at the same time and you should definetly get some sort of discount, or at least some free chain lube.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
umm ya dude, my RJAYs helmet was only $160. As long as they are Australian standard I don't see the problem? How much better can a stupidly expensive shoei be?
In some key tests, various studies showed the most expensive helmets, while performing better in areas they were designed for, performed worse in other important areas compared to the cheapest helmets.

iirc, the top helmets were great on absorbing the first impact, but they were so absorbant, second and subsequent impacts affected them much worse than the slightly more rigid, cheaper lids.

There's no perfect helmet. An $80 helmet is fine.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
umm ya dude, my RJAYs helmet was only $160. As long as they are Australian standard I don't see the problem? How much better can a stupidly expensive shoei be? Mind you I have to say, Alpinestars make some awesome jackets with back, waist shoulder and elbow armour.
the one I used at the rta (AGV I think) was like a head sauna. Really don't want a repeat experience. Though I guess they're catering to a budget.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Gear prices don't go up afaik (although I suppose you could probably cut better package deals during the down season), they would only go up if gear was an item in seasonally limited supply.

Just buy a helmet that's comfortable. I always bought the cheapest one I could. They have an expiration date, you're supposed to chuck them after a few years anyway, so it's not going to wear out. They all meet the Australian standard. You spend much more time wearing it than crashing in it (that's the hope anyway), so comfort is the most important thing.

I'd get a lightish mesh summer type jacket (yet something waterproof), that you can wear thermals or a jumper underneath if necessary. You can get good all season jackets with vents and stuff now, that are still pretty warm when you need it.

Rjays stuff looks good. $299 is a very good price.

Get kevlar jeans. Get something that looks nice.

Gloves are a balance of thickness for durability (they're the item that'll wear out quickest), and feel, if they're too thick some people complain the controls are remote. Summer gloves are also bloody freezing, when you can't feel anything and can barely move your fingers, you'll wish you'd bought a winter pair. But it's up to you. You can get decent gloves starting from $60. Much $100+ is a waste of money.

Check sizes carefully. I bought all my gear too big. Stuff isn't cheap to replace. Want to buy a L touring jacket and a L pair of draggin jeans, undamaged?

Don't know anything about specific brands you should go for, sorry.
Love you so much Graney.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I think I spent $120 on an MDS. Silent, great climate control, fits my head perfectly.

walkahz

HSC
Ive got a cheaper (bout $170 i think) hjc hemet which is good and very comfortable (probly from wear).
Ive also got a $600 arai vector for racing. It is a great helmet and has better ventalation than the hjc.
It all depends on how much value you put on your head i spose (i know guys who have $1500 gp-5's with a paintjob matching the price but hey if you have the money)
For normal road use i think a cheapo is fine.
As for gear I dunno get somthing you can afford and is comfortable i normally ride my little dirtbike in jeans and a tshirt:rofl: I get fucked up if i fall off but.

Last edited:
HSC
My helmet cost $120 i think.

i got a nolan for $80 as a present that was too big for me and really thin when i was younger

then an hjc for $120 that fits me perfectly and is very comfortable and pretty light, after 3 hrs trail riding

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Remember you can get inners for gloves, but yeah, two pairs is probably the best bet.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I don't know about motorcycle specific ones but you can generally buy inners for gloves. I have some for skiing and they make a huge difference.

quik.

HSC
You can spend as much or as little on gear as you want, really. If you are going to be pushing it (weekend/fun work as main focus) then defo get a pair of boots with ankle protection. If I'm commuting but not at peak hour times, I just wear regular shoes. I also just wear normal jeans, but again, personal choice. I found draggins a HORRIBLE fit (they come up way past your waist in order to protect those areas if your jacket rides up), and the Hornees (what I bought) were very hot.

I've got one pair of gloves (full gauntlet, leather, vented) and they are fine for all seasons. Hands are a little cold after a winter/night ride but totally manageable.

I use a Shark RSI helmet (around $500 I think?) but have nothing to compare it to. It vents fairly well, has a removable liner so I can wash it etc, Shark has the thickest stock visors and are some of the lightest helmets around, but any helmet will do the job. Lots of people are keen on KBC as starter helmets from what I've seen.

For jacket, I would recommend leather (you can get vented/perforated) but that is totally up to you.

As far as stores go, BikeBiz in parramatta (Trevor in particular) has looked after me well. MCAS in granville apparently has a massive range since the move, but I havn't been to the new location personally. If the dollar picks up and you want to order from the US, I use newenough.com, ridersdiscount.com, kneedraggers.com.

sickk

HSC
i went to ACTION motorcycles in parramatta when i got my bike (october last year)

i had nothing, worked out a nice leaner package with the sales guy, they threw in everything, jacket, gloves, helmet (also the shark RSI, great helmet, filled up with rain water cause of leak in my garage roof, but because its so easy to take out the lining and wash it smells even better than when i bought it... was still pissed but), they also chucked in, XENA disc lock with alarm (highly recommend), big fat bike chain, delivered bike to my door, as i hadnt got my licence at the time lol

i got all the gear for about half of what it was worth, which i was really happy with :)

hc.pmt

HSC
dont know if this is going to be of any help still, but here it is anyway;

i would recommend MCAS at auburn (on parramatta road) - they have a clearance section that always has really cheap stuff; the last time i was there (about 2 weeks ago) they had rjays leather jackets for $199 and mesh / perforated jackets for $99 - $129 - all the jackets had arm, elbow, shoulder and back protection.

as for helmets, i would also go for a cheaper one; all helmets must comply with australian safety standards anyway. just get one that is comfortable and ventilated; again, MCAS has great stock, ranging from $70 - the most expensive.

hope this helps
have fun riding :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)