Bill of Rights (1 Viewer)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
withoutaface said:
The problem is that positive rights, by definition, interfere with far more fundamental, negative, rights of others.
Yeah Idk... in the past I've generally held a fair bit of apathy about the whole debate, I doubt much would change. It is possible that it would spur on some more 'activist' judgements and give the courts more power which could be good/bad depending how you look at it...

but overall it matter really little imo. I don't think a bill of rights increases our rights and I just view it as another way for Rudd to have another big pronouncement.

impervious182

HSC
withoutaface said:
But we should.
Says you. Well I say we shouldn't and so do most Christians.

You've just proven what I'm talking about though. These are contentious issues, which shouldn't be pushed into a Bill of Rights.

At the moment it is illegal to be killed. End of story.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
jb_nc said:
lol

what kind of idiot would make a law making it illegal to commit suicide?

ok dude prosecute me when im dead.
Euthanasia is still illegal, even when actively requested by the patient...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
alexdore said:
Says you. Well I say we shouldn't and so do most Christians.

You've just proven what I'm talking about though. These are contentious issues, which shouldn't be pushed into a Bill of Rights.

At the moment it is illegal to be killed. End of story.
It's my body cunt, not yours.

impervious182

HSC
jb_nc said:
lol

what kind of idiot would make a law making it illegal to commit suicide?

ok dude prosecute me when im dead.
Erm... it currently is a law. It's also illegal to assist someone in commiting suicide and to attempt suicide. This is actually one of the reasons why people are able to be put into treatment or suicide watch programs.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Euthanasia is still illegal, even when actively requested by the patient...
i meant at one's own hand

if i mean euthanasia/assisted suicide, i would have said

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
alexdore993 said:
Erm... it currently is a law. It's also illegal to assist someone in commiting suicide and to attempt suicide. This is actually one of the reasons why people are able to be put into treatment or suicide watch programs.
Err AFAIK killing oneself is not illegal in the state of New South Wales and Victoria, the United Kingdom and in every state in the US.

Cite?

impervious182

HSC
What the hell:

Mr McClelland said he believed Australia had for the best part of 60 years been a leading proponent of human rights around the world, but could do better.

"No levels of violence against women are acceptable," he said.

Mr McClelland also said more could be done in the area of disability.

Is this a joke?

What about violence against men as well? I understand that rates against women are higher, but surely both rights would be entrenched. Sexist.

What's more, this is the dumbass who proposed a Bill of Rights today. Erm... what about those who are using violence against police and resisting arrest? If it were a right for men and women not to be subjected to violence it could be interpreted so many ways.

E.g. not to be subjected to violence on TV shows.
not to be subjected to violence even if someone else is using self-defense.
not to be subjected to violence even if resisting arrest
not to be subjected to violence even in a war

What a joke.

Basically all that these rights would promote is activist judges.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Fair sure assault is already covered by every Crimes Act ever drafted.

impervious182

HSC
John Oliver said:
Yeah but Christians also used to reckon you could get off a rape charge by paying 30 pieces of silver. Stop getting your morals from shepherds.
No they don't. That's a blatant and disgusting misrepresentation of the truth. That's certainly not a Judeo-Christian belief.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Basically all that these rights would promote is activist judges.
TBH It's not like they don't already have the power if they really wanted to...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
John Oliver said:
Naw dude it is in NSW, I know because I had an unstable girlfriend.
The lollingest thing ever would be if all the emo failures got locked up for attempted suicide.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Rights:

- Food, Shelter, Healthcare, Education, Free Association, Free Speech, Rape.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
John Oliver said:
What, no that's not a misrepresentation sunbeam, that's what we call a 'verbatim'.

My bad it was fifty:

Shit quoting like you:

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.
I think fifty pieces of silver is a fair price to pay.

impervious182

HSC
John Oliver said:
What, no that's not a misrepresentation sunbeam, that's what we call a 'verbatim'.

My bad it was fifty:

Shit quoting like you:
(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.
That's the Old Testament. The whole point of the New Testament and Jesus' time on earth was to revise these and those who followed these laws. I recommend reading the Bible in its entirety, rather than picking little snippets out to further your argument, but actually misrepresent its message. This is an answer to your question, but answers about Christianity and Islam together.
"Why do you quote the Old Testament, or Old Convenant to talk about Christianity? And the Torah no less?

Why do you falsely claim Jesus told Christians to follow the Torah when a) he came to introduce the New Coventant, and half his ministry was basically bashing the Jewish religious leaders for making adhereing to the laws of the Torah burdensome?

Why don't you read the Torah in the original Hebrew and Aramaic's to discover that rape in those languages is a word both used to denote the actual violent act of forced sexual intercourse AND ALSO SEX OUTSIDE OF MARRIAGE?

Since Christianity bashing is your game why not take it to a Christian group? Or did you know somewhere in your heart that creating this question and going with it to them would be as far-out-of-context, rude and pointless as one of them coming here with an Islam = violence and wife-beating question?
"

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
John Oliver said:
And Alma in greek means young girl not virgin which pwns the virgin birth.

Also Jesus didn't change squat (Other than introduce the concept of hell, what a guy!) Matthew 5: 17-18
What do you mean Jesus didn't change squat?

impervious182

HSC
John Oliver said:
And Alma in greek means young girl not virgin which pwns the virgin birth.

Also Jesus didn't change squat (Other than introduce the concept of hell, what a guy!) Matthew 5: 17-18
Misrepresent as much as you like, but the more you do so, the more people who aren't Christian see your ideas for what they are; ridiculous.

boris

Banned
HSC
Nah i agree with him.

The bible clearly says i can make rape of a virgin then get off by paying her father 50 pieces of silver. Whats silver worth? Like $10 an ounce? So thats like $500 to get off rape. The bible also says that if a virgin is raped, she must marry the raper, so there, for $500 i can get a virgin wife and all i have to do is make rape on her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)