Bio dot-point query (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
· identify data sources, gather, process and analyse information from secondary sources and use available evidence to illustrate the changing ideas of scientists in the last 200 years about individual species such as the platypus as new information and technologies became available

I made some notes on this point during my revision but they are just too long and not directly related. If anyone has some good concise, easy-to-read notes, it will be great!~~ Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
I don't do biology but I suggest using tables to process your information.

jessiekg14

HSC
had the same question in our bio assignment. this is what i wrote and the link to a really good site where most of this info is from is below:

New technology and information is being made available to scientists everyday. So it is no wonder that their ideas about individual species have changed greatly over the past 200 years. When the platypus was first discovered, it was believed to be a hoax – they thought someone had taken parts of different animals and sewn them together. However, after further investigation, it was found to be real. Since then, new ideas regarding the platypus have continued to emerge. The electron microscope has been vital in providing new information. Up until the 1930s it was unknown how platypi were able to find food, as it was observed that they did not use their senses whilst underwater. But when the electron microscope came into use, scientists were able to take a much closer look at the bill of the platypus and were shocked to discover thousands of ultra-sensitive touch receptors that allowed the platypus to navigate its way underwater with its eyes close and detect prey, if touched. The electron microscope also told scientists more about the cells of the platypus which allowed them to learn more about the biological adaptations of the platypus. During the early 1940s, a ‘platypussary’ was developed that mimicked the environment of the platypus. This enabled platypi to be bred in captivity and over the years, has led to the increased knowledge of the breeding and lifestyle habits of the platypus.

http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=The_Platypus

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jessiekg14 said:
had the same question in our bio assignment. this is what i wrote and the link to a really good site where most of this info is from is below:

New technology and information is being made available to scientists everyday. So it is no wonder that their ideas about individual species have changed greatly over the past 200 years. When the platypus was first discovered, it was believed to be a hoax – they thought someone had taken parts of different animals and sewn them together. However, after further investigation, it was found to be real. Since then, new ideas regarding the platypus have continued to emerge. The electron microscope has been vital in providing new information. Up until the 1930s it was unknown how platypi were able to find food, as it was observed that they did not use their senses whilst underwater. But when the electron microscope came into use, scientists were able to take a much closer look at the bill of the platypus and were shocked to discover thousands of ultra-sensitive touch receptors that allowed the platypus to navigate its way underwater with its eyes close and detect prey, if touched. The electron microscope also told scientists more about the cells of the platypus which allowed them to learn more about the biological adaptations of the platypus. During the early 1940s, a ‘platypussary’ was developed that mimicked the environment of the platypus. This enabled platypi to be bred in captivity and over the years, has led to the increased knowledge of the breeding and lifestyle habits of the platypus.

http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=The_Platypus
Thanks. This is great.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
· Use available evidence to illustrate the changing ideas of scientists in the last 200 years about individual species such as the platypus as new information and technologies become available.

From the past to the present, the changing ideas of scientists in the last 200 years have continued to develop about individual species such as the platypus due to the discovery of new significant information and technological advancements that have continued to occur.

Early ideas about the platypus included the belief that it was a transitional form between reptiles and mammals, and that monotremes and marsupials were more closely related to each other than to placental mammals. But new research has established that the monotremes represent a unique evolutionary path that branched away from a common mammalian ancestor before the appearance of marsupials and placentals. Evidence for this theory has been supported by researchers at the Australian National University, who found that the platypus has ten sex chromosomes compared to the two present in other mammals.

Additional evidence suggesting the uniqueness of the platypus includes a study of the amino acid sequence of a protein in their milk carried out by researchers at Latrobe University and the Australian National University. Current research has also shown that the platypus has a unique arrangement of electroreceptor and mechanoreceptors in the skin of its bill, which are believed to help it detect electrical and pressure impulses from its prey.

Fossil discoveries in South America of platypus-like animals prove that monotremes did not just evolve in Australia, but in wider Gondwana. They had already faced competition from “advanced” placental mammals before Australia became isolated and survived. Furthermore, the more research is done on the platypus and other creatures, the more scientists realise that these are not “primitive” creatures, whilst changing ideas continue to occur.

Hence, changing ideas of scientists in the last 200 years about individual species such as the platypus have continued to occurred, due to the discovery of new significant information and the technological advancements that have occurred.

I have recently received 23/25 for this assignment based on this dotpoint and other dotpoints, so I guess it's a good answer :). I hope it's not too late Namu.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)