Biology study methods (1 Viewer)

speedybeatle

HSC
How do u study Bio? I make syllabus dot point notes; dictate key concepts and listen to them on a dictaphone. I have diagrams of key concepts stuck round my room any more suggestions on methods of revising? I want to do well

Master Gopher

HSC
I pretty much summarise dot points with diagrams and examples and such, and that's about it. Occasionally I stick sheets of stuff above my desk.

However I suggest that better than just revising is also doing as many practice questions as you possibly can, because answering exam questions is a skill you have to learn, not just something you can do as soon as you know what the answer should be.

fat_penguin

HSC
yeah i agree with master gopher.. i found it was really hard to answer the questions - because even though you think you have the right answer, if it's not exactly what they were looking for, marks were deducted.. so yeah, you have to learn your syllabus pretty thoroughly, and see if you can figure out what the examiner wants to hear..

and don't forget to learn the part they expect you to learn by experience - the biology skill section - cause you might think you know all of it, but then some of those terms they use come back to bite you in the bum.. hahah speaking from experience here =P

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
speedybeatle said:
How do u study Bio? I make syllabus dot point notes; dictate key concepts and listen to them on a dictaphone. I have diagrams of key concepts stuck round my room any more suggestions on methods of revising? I want to do well
haha you try to hard and the funny thing is that most of that effort is going to be wasted. If i were you i would firstly answer every dotpoint. Then make a dotpoint summary[approx 30pgs] including pracs[ or just get a few from here and stick them togther like i did]. Underline the important shit e.g deffinitions and memorise it.

Then do past papers. Alot of them. Once you have done one, go over it, find where u stuffed it, read that part of your summary, check out the textbook then do the whole test again

You should be able to do a test in about 1-1.5 hours, once you know it that well that you can do that, slow it down so you use the full 3 hours and answer the questions to the best of your ability

good luck with your study

edit: if you want my conbined special, slightly modified summary Pm me and i will see if i can dig it up for you

Last edited:

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
serius, I would like a copy of your combined summary thingy, please

edanzzz

HSC
I've always tried doing dot point. But never seem to work:(
Summary notes are not always detailed/sufficient for HSC. Traditionally i used diagramatic representation will thoroughly cover alot of points, however you cannot implement diagrams on every single points.
So. is there any better alternatives?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)