Biomedical Engineering (1 Viewer)

imZerroo

HSC
Hey guys,
I was just wondering that if anyone here does biomedical engineering, what it's all about, what career opportunities are there, workload, % of people who get the jobs, starting salary etc.
ANY information will be much much appreciated, thank you :]

also, just wanted to make sure , but is it right that 1st year of any engineering is the same, but from 2nd year it changes? if yes, then how does it work? coz different engineering degrees have different atar requirements, do we pick after 1st year or before it depending on your atar?

again, thanks in advance.

YuMchA

HSC
I just finsihed my degree in mechanical and biomedical engineering at UNSW. At UNSW if you are an undergrad you will have to do the degree combined with another engineering major.

In terms of what is about. It depends on the electives you do, but it is about the application of engineering concepts to the human body. Some of these include diagnostics, prosthesis devices, material selection and electrical signals.

Career opportunities in Australia are limited to a handful of companies that have any presence worldwide. These being Cochlear, ResMed and to a lesser extent Baxter. There are other companies like Cathrx and most likely some I haven't heard of.

Workload it depends on your other major, I can tell you now engineering isn't a walk in the park. I have pulled many all nighters, and long weeks doing assignments. Some of my friends have slept at uni to get the work done. Combine that with biomedical engineering subjects which consist of mainly assignments and you have a work load that I would say is one of the highest at university.

% of people getting jobs, in the field it's pretty hard. I have decent marks and I wound up pursuing a career in mechanical engineering. Not to say I didn't try, there is a lot of competiton.

salary most engineers can expect any where between 55-65k starting. I have also heard some people getting much more and much less so it depends when you end up. Check Engineers Australia if you want to find the yearly averages but you have to pay for the information.

First year at UNSW is common, and I beleive you are able to switch between any of the engineering degrees. Second year is supposed to be when you diversify but it is really in third year in my opinion.

hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)