Biomedical science @ uni (1 Viewer)

etoile rouge

HSC
Hi
Just wondering if anyone could give me a list or mention any universities (mainly in NSW, possibly melbourne/queensland) they know offer a biomedical course. Also could you mention the ATAR cutoff for it.
If there are any current students doing this course please share your opinion of it.

pman

Banned
HSC
pretty sure UWS does....we have medical physics...alot have medicenal chem

etoile rouge

HSC
UTS has a biomedical science course (I'm doing it right now)
cool. What kind of things have you studied in biomed so far? And how do you like it + are there more pracs or lectures?
sorry for all the questions:eek:

etoile rouge

HSC
I'm guessing that biomed would be different across uni's, but at UTS, I've been doing mostly microbiology and biochemistry.

As with any science course, it does take up a lot of time, so expect to be at uni 4 or 5 days a week.

This is the course I'm doing: UTS:�C10115v7 Bachelor of Biomedical Science - Science,�UTS Handbook 2010
I just had a quick look and it says in assumed knowledge that we must have done extension maths and chemistry. I do neither. I do biology and general maths. Does this mean I can't do biomed?

LauraHLH

HSC
I just had a quick look and it says in assumed knowledge that we must have done extension maths and chemistry. I do neither. I do biology and general maths. Does this mean I can't do biomed?
It means you're going to have to work a little harder, and some of the chemistry stuff you'll do will blow your mind (hopefully only temporarily) and there are going to be things you'll have to ask about. Only when it says prerequisites does it mean that you HAVE to have done that course. Assumed knowledge means that you'll get a very brief intro to the concepts covered in the HSC, and from there they'll build on those.

As a part of Speech Path, I do Human Bioscience- HUBS for short. This is a similar course between my degree and Biomed, and I know that everyone who didn't do Bio and Chem is having some difficulties. If you're doing Bio that's a really good founding for some of the concepts raised, but seeing as I don't do teh rest of teh subjects, I can't comment on the math.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
You won't really need extension maths (you won't need it at all). The only maths subject you have to do is statistics, which you can get by on with 2 unit or general maths even.

There will be some maths in your other subjects, eg, biochemistry involves a lot of graphs. But other than that, you should be okay.

Chemistry can be annoying but as long as you keep up with your work, you should be fine.

etoile rouge

HSC
*sighs* I am so glad to hear that! It was bugging me since I read it and made me regret dropping 2u maths and not doing chemistry. Does UTS provide bridging courses? If so how does it work (like when does it run)?
PS. Thank you for all the info. Now I atleast have some direction in terms of what I want to do at uni :)

blerkles

HSC
N/A
CSU has a Medical Science/BioTechnology double degree available by distance (i.e. do it on campus but if you get a job you can do the rest flexibly).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)