• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bit of a pickle. (1 Viewer)

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Hey guys. I'm just looking for someone to talk to about uni choices and such, cause I'm a bit lost.

I'd like to apologise before hand for sounding like an idiot, lol.

Basically, I got accepted into UWS for arts, which I picked mainly because I have an interest in a lot of the subjects, but theres never been anything in particular where I just think, holy shit, that's what I love. So I've been trying to figure out whats best for me, and was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

The areas I think I'd like/do alright in are pretty much English, history, politics, psychology, philosophy and biology. And teaching? So like I said, I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what to do. I don't even fully understand how subject units and what not work. I've had a bit of a squiz aroung the forum but I'm still a bit confused. And I wouldn't know what to pick anyway. So if anyone has any suggestions based on my interests, that'd be brilliant.

Also, if I were to accept and whatnot, does a lot of the stuff I have questions about become clearer once you're actually in uni. Like understanding what credit points and stuff means, lol. Cause right now its going over my head a bit. Like, how do you find out what subjects/electives/whatever they're called you need to pick to major in certain things and such. Ahhh. I sound like a bit of a moron, but yeah. I don't know what to do.

Its also complicated a bit more by the fact that I think I'd like to go to Notre Dame.

So sorry about the mega post, I'm just looking for some advice and guidance. I'm the first in my entire family to go to uni, rofl, so its a bit of a new experience.

Thanks to anyone who replies, and you're welcome to pm me about it too.
=)

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Wow, thanks for that helpful advice =)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Hollieee said:
does a lot of the stuff I have questions about become clearer once you're actually in uni. Like understanding what credit points and stuff means, lol. Cause right now its going over my head a bit. Like, how do you find out what subjects/electives/whatever they're called you need to pick to major in certain things and such.
There should be academic advisors at UWS whose job is exactly to help you work out the credit points and subjects and majors.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
There should be academic advisors at UWS whose job is exactly to help you work out the credit points and subjects and majors.
Thanks. That's what I was trying to ask in my huge garbled paragraph. That's the type of stuff that just goes straight over my head.
I just wish I understood it all before I decided to accept or not.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Usually how it works is you choose four subjects for your first semester in your 1st year.

The subjects you choose in first semester has a corresponding 'Part II' in second semester.

In 2nd yr, you might choose more advanced versions of some of these subjects you've done in 1st year.

And in 3rd year, you choose more advanced subjects that build on what you did in previous years. These become your majors, and you can usually do two majors. So for example, in your arts degree you can graduate with majors in psychology and history, or whatever two combinations you choose to do.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
Usually how it works is you choose four subjects for your first semester in your 1st year.

The subjects you choose in first semester has a corresponding 'Part II' in second semester.

In 2nd yr, you might choose more advanced versions of some of these subjects you've done in 1st year.

And in 3rd year, you choose more advanced subjects that build on what you did in previous years. These become your majors, and you can usually do two majors. So for example, in your arts degree you can graduate with majors in psychology and history, or whatever two combinations you choose to do.
I love you.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Have you logged onto the Arts portal on vUWS as a guest arts student? It'll tell you everything about credit points, key programs, elective majors and what subjects you need to choose to follow your BA program. If memory serves me right, it'll prompt you to do this when you enrol.

UWS basically has majors in everything you want to do. In the BA, there's an english major, history politics and philosophy major and a psychology major amongst others. Biology isn't offered as a major in the arts, but some psych subjects involve biology. You can always choose a biology subject as your elective too.

Basically, the arts program is set up so you have a key program (your major) and you can also major or sub major in another area by doing these subjects as your electives. For example you can major in english, but also count history subjects toward a history, politics and philosophy major. The only area you can't elective major in is psychology for APS reasons, but there's nothing stopping you from taking psych subjects as electives anyway.

Credit points basically mean how much a subject is worth toward a degree. Most subjects are worth 10 credit points; from memory you'll need to have 240 credit points to be able to graduate.

I don't know much about Notre Dame, I have a friend doing Arts (Psych) there and he loves it as much as I love UWS (of course, I would say pick UWS over Notre Dame, but that's me!). I would post in the Notre Dame forum asking for advice there?

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me =). Good luck!

John0

HSC
Check out Handbook Entry
you can use that to search for the unit sets that you would need to complete in order to finish your key program also majors and sub majors. The Handbook has all the info u need about the units, timetables, unit codes and any other specific criteria.

I was in the same position when i started last year, but it gets easier to understand as u go on. If your still confused about all the terminology they use, key programs, majors, sub majors, i can send u a document that explains it.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
From the UWS Website:

If you are enrolling in:

1604 Bachelor of Arts
2537 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law
1651 Bachelor of Arts (Pathway to teaching Primary)
1652 Bachelor of Arts (Pathway to teaching Secondary)

Course information sites are available with all the details you need to choose and enrol in your individual units of study. Go to vUWS ( Log in to vUWS ) and login using login ID: arts-gt and password: guest.

Dannielle@3

HSC
N/A
I went to Notre Dame last year doing a Bachelor of Marketing and PR/Bachelor of Communications. I could not stand it because I felt so restricted and had no room to make decisions on what electives I wanted to take. Now with UWS I am overhwlmed by all the choices- you just can't win :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)