black screen. (1 Viewer)

dYnaMiC7

HSC
This past week, my computer has done this in like 3 days out of the 7. Whilst the computer remains on, the computer screeen just turns black. Does anyone know what may be causing this. I have scanned it with antivirus but there are no viruses found. thank you.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
All i can think of as a computer illiterate is

= screensaver and major freeze when it does so (i use to get that with an old computer)

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
it could be you video card or driver for it, i had that same problem (the screen would just go black, but sounds were still working, and it wouldnt turn back on until i restarted the computer) and it turned out my video card was fried. Or it could be the power cord.

fatmuscle

HSC
sounds like a power thing.
does it go blank after a long period of idling time?

as mentioned above, check your screen saver settings.

dYnaMiC7

HSC
Well, i dont think its an idle thing as yesturday when I was listening to music, i had my headphones on and all of a sudden i heard it make a sound a though its going to explode, for a second i thought either the compouter will explode or the music file was going corupt or something - but in the end it was neither of the 2, and my screen and MUSIC just turned off, and so did my scanner BUT when i looked at my harddrive, it was still on.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
a sound a though its going to explode
Does it sound like a whistle noise? going from low to high frequency.

Is the power light still on?

Can you hear if the fans are still turning?

I had a similar thing last spring, it was caused by the PSU. Seems like a sudden change in weather/temperature can crack the ceramic resistors in it.

dYnaMiC7

HSC
AntiHyper said:
Does it sound like a whistle noise? going from low to high frequency.

Is the power light still on?

Can you hear if the fans are still turning?

I had a similar thing last spring, it was caused by the PSU. Seems like a sudden change in weather/temperature can crack the ceramic resistors in it.
Yes, it does sort of sound liek a whistle noise going from low to high frequency. The power is still on. However, Im not sure about the fans. If it is caused by what you have described, does this need urgent fixing? At the moment, Ive been on the compouter for 5 hours, and nothing has happened as of yet, i was even on last night and it didnt happen.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Maybe your power unit is getting old or your graphic card is dying.

dYnaMiC7

HSC
z600 said:
Maybe your power unit is getting old or your graphic card is dying.
U rekon, after all, this is a almost 4 year old computer we are talking about!

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
I had this problem 3 weeks ago.
Resulted in having to buy new montior. (even though my old monitor was only 3 years old.. JUST past the warranty)
Can you see fine black lines across or down the screen, when it happens to turn on at all?
Black lines = Dead pixels. = Needing new monitor.
You can disconnect your montior, and perhaps ask a friend if you could bring montior over, or your next door neigbour- disconnect theirs plug in yours. If problem still there, it's your monitor.

It could be your vid card too, but that was already said.

pete_mate

HSC
i had this problem, though it may have a differant cause to your's.

My computer would be running fine, but the screen would go blank, it wasnt the screen itself turning off though.

can you acess the screen adjustment screen (eg. brightness) from your monitor?
if so, then the screen is fine.

What was causing mine was that there wasnt enough power getting to my graphics card. This is because it's a newish (last 3 years) card which has an extra power cable going straight into it.

However, i had lots of power cable splitters being used and there wasnt enough power reaching it. Change around the power cables and it should work fine, or unplug it completely and the Card will run on low-performance mode, but should work fine.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Bunny04 said:
I had this problem 3 weeks ago.
Resulted in having to buy new montior. (even though my old monitor was only 3 years old.. JUST past the warranty)
Can you see fine black lines across or down the screen, when it happens to turn on at all?
Black lines = Dead pixels. = Needing new monitor.
You can disconnect your montior, and perhaps ask a friend if you could bring montior over, or your next door neigbour- disconnect theirs plug in yours. If problem still there, it's your monitor.

It could be your vid card too, but that was already said.
Who says he has an LCD? from what i can tell, it is not a monitor problem, and because it only happens every now and again, would be to hard to check with a mates monitor.

To me it sounds either videocard [especially if its a heaps old crappy one] or PSU related. I have heard of similar things happening when dust or moisture gets on the motherboard, but this would only happen 2 or 3 times before your comp fried, so prob not motherboard.

dYnaMiC7

HSC
Hey guys, Ive had so many replies i honestly dont know what it could be. This morning it happened again - it just wouldnt work, so i had to turn it off from the back, leave it like that for 5 minutes and then when i turned it back on from the back it worked.

- It was beeping 3-4 times when i turn the computer on each time.
- I tried pressing the menu, exit buttons on the monitor but it wouldnt work.
- The computer was Loading, and it made the same noise it always makes wen it goes into the log in section(even though i couldnt see htis, i know it did because it made the same sounds).

pete_mate

HSC
just slot in another graphics card and see if it works.

if it does, then get a new one, they're cheap nowadays anyway

isoadam

HSC
simple.... i think

does the computer itself stay on when this happens?

i so its a graphics card issue

could be overheating, so you probably need to get a bigger heatsink for your card or buy more fans :) 10 bucks each

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)