Blit's guide to choosing related text for Discovery :) (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I really don't think they're so picky that if a text is likely to be used as a related for a different module you'll get marked down over it. I used it for Belonging this year and my teacher didn't mind. I think they'd just be impressed that a student had chosen an intricate, nuanced and sophisticated text rather than looking to slam them for choosing something that has a lose relationship to another module.
Good points raised. I just like to point out to people the possibility of it having been used before...

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Good points raised. I just like to point out to people the possibility of it having been used before...
Oh definitely, it's not something that's obscure or will be unknown to the marker. They won't be shocked at your originality, but I do think that it wouldn't be the first text people think of for discovery. A marker might like to see an old text deconstructed under a new light (not that I'd know haha).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Alice in Wonderland is a great related text!

I noticed you don't have much under poetry, I recommend 'Daddy' by Sylvia Plath. It's a really good general text because it deals with discovery about the true nature of other people (the speaker's father and husband), discovery of the realities of the persona's relationship to them, discovery about geographical locations linked the the persona's familial heritage (Germany/Poland) and of the events that irrevocably shaped these locations (WWII, in particular the Holocaust). There are few questions that could be thrown at you that you couldn't use that poem for.
While it is part of the Ariel suite that is prescribed for EE1 After the Bomb, it's such a small part of a single elective that I really don't think that lessens it's ability to be used as an ORT. Furthermore, it's so well known it won't just look like you've lifted it from the course prescription list, and it's a sophisticated text.
Although I do agree that this particular poem might be suitable for discovery, however, I would still be rather cautious with using texts on the current prescribed list, no matter how small you might think it is, because there are many other texts composed during a similar era and it would be hard to argue against an assertion of why don't someone choose another text from that era that is NOT on the prescribed text list which also explores concepts of discovery (particularly in light of this area of study being so broad). Even for texts that are on previous prescription lists, it might be best to check with your English teacher first to ascertain what their preference for related texts might be.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Point taken :) if people really want to avoid things on the course prescription list we'd better note the other texts on this list that are prescribed.

- A Beautiful Mind (Standard, Mod B)
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner (EE1, Mod B)
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (EE1, Mod A; ESL, AOS)
- Gulliver's Travels (EE1, Mod A)

For poetry it's damn hard to avoid all of the course prescriptions across Standard, Advanced and EE1. It means you're avoiding the better part of the greatest poems of TS Eliot, Frost, Plath, Barrett Browning, Dickinson, Yeats, Heaney, Hughes, Auden, Lowell, Coleridge and Wordsworth (among other less prominent poets). Their collective works make up close to the entirety of the English poetic canon. But if you're really set on not doing a prescribed, there are of course other poets you can choose from. You're just precluding yourself from studying most of the 'classics' of poetry (which isn't necessarily a bad thing! Less well known poets may make your marker more interested. Besides, great poets such as Ezra Pound aren't prescribed, and many more modern poets aren't either.)

Also, going through the new course prescription list I only just realised how badass they've made mod a for Advanced this year. Wish they'd done it one year earlier, it's easily the best module there now! Wish I could have done Heaney/Dubliners

medentryvuln

HSC
N/A
Has anyone read Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson? Any thoughts on it being a related text?

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
What type of text would be the most appropriate for the hsc? I was thinking of doing a poem since it conserves time, but I might not get as much quantity as I want.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
What type of text would be the most appropriate for the hsc? I was thinking of doing a poem since it conserves time, but I might not get as much quantity as I want.
Poems make a good related text type to analyse however do not use poem as a related text if your prescribed text for that module is a poem.

Loudvicuna

HSC
Does the related text have to exclusively relate to your prescribed text or can it just share the theme of discovery. My prescribed is The Tempest and I'm thinking of doing a film like Interstellar, would this be OK?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Does the related text have to exclusively relate to your prescribed text or can it just share the theme of discovery. My prescribed is The Tempest and I'm thinking of doing a film like Interstellar, would this be OK?
The related text doesn't have to relate exclusively to your prescribed text. The Tempest and Interstellar should work well together.

Ronaldo1212

HSC
hey could you help me with film techniques used in the short scene Names Bruce from finding nemo?

diladial

gone ghost
HSC
I've a question. I'm doing Frost poems as my set text which is all about discovery about human nature through nature itself. Does my related material have to be about this concept too? It's pretty hard finding something that uses nature as a medium of discovery of something as deep as Frost poems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)