Blit's guide to choosing related text for Discovery :) (2 Viewers)

theKingPin

HSC
Hey Blit,
you have written Conan arthur doyle instead of Arthur Conan Doyle in your related texts list. Just so you know ;)

Sayttoz

HSC
For anybody else who is using Robert Frost as their prescribed, are you guys going for 2 or 3 poems? I'm currently going with Tuft of Flowers and Mending wall but I'm not too sure if another poem will be too much content.

Also to Blits or any other users who have already taken the HSC, what are your thoughts on choosing a novel instead of a film when your prescribed is poetry? I was thinking of using Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita, however I've heard many people recommend using a film when you already have a text as your prescribed as they believe it's more difficult to use two text types.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For anybody else who is using Robert Frost as their prescribed, are you guys going for 2 or 3 poems? I'm currently going with Tuft of Flowers and Mending wall but I'm not too sure if another poem will be too much content.

Also to Blits or any other users who have already taken the HSC, what are your thoughts on choosing a novel instead of a film when your prescribed is poetry? I was thinking of using Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita, however I've heard many people recommend using a film when you already have a text as your prescribed as they believe it's more difficult to use two text types.
One of my prescribed texts was a poem anthology, and I used a novel as a related text so I think it is fine to do.

Sayttoz

HSC
If you don't mind me asking again Blits, what are your thoughts on doing two related texts?
I've just had a look over some of the resources and it sounds like a good idea to display how well you can analyse multiple types of media, however at the same time you might be spreading the content of the essay a little too thin...

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't mind me asking again Blits, what are your thoughts on doing two related texts?
I've just had a look over some of the resources and it sounds like a good idea to display how well you can analyse multiple types of media, however at the same time you might be spreading the content of the essay a little too thin...
I would recommend that you have at least two related texts given you can be asked to write about two. If you can write roughly 2 paragraphs for the prescribed, and 1 paragraph per related text then I'd recommend you do two related texts for your essay.

SivInd-EzeBlood

HSC
Which author for 'The Alchemist"? Is it Michael Scott's The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, or Paulo Coelho's standalone novel?

Skitzgerald

HSC
Ok, so I found what I thought would be an awesome ORT, and halfway through analysing it, I worked out it was actually a story a student had written last year (probably why it works so well with discovery.) Can I still use it? Are HSC markers expected to "know" what happens in your ORT?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, so I found what I thought would be an awesome ORT, and halfway through analysing it, I worked out it was actually a story a student had written last year (probably why it works so well with discovery.) Can I still use it? Are HSC markers expected to "know" what happens in your ORT?
It would be impossible for the marker to have read or heard of every single related text. I would say that you'd be able to still use it, but as always it is best to confirm with your english teacher.

rebecca947

HSC
Hi, would the Eagleman Stag be a good related text for "renewed perceptions of others" part of the rubric? This short film is about self-discovery and self-reflection though, so I'm not too sure if I can relate it to that part of the rubric? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Mickey66

HSC
I'm doing the Frank Hurley doco as my prescribed, and I'm having difficulty choosing a related.
I've considered Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, The Goldfinch, and Requiem for a Dream.

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.
Hi, what did you end up choosing?

bezza360

HSC
hey guys! my prescribed text for discovery is 'Away' by Michael Gow. For my HSC speech, I have to choose a related text that correlates with the statement - 'discoveries can be far reaching and transformative for the individual and for broader society', but I'm finding it difficult to choose a text! I'm open to any forms of media, except obviously plays. Any suggestions? Please help!

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I wouldn't recommend this

chidzz

HSC
Hey, so my prescribed is Motorcycle Diaries, and for my ORT i was thinking:

-Catcher in the Rye
-Alice in Wonderland
-Tell Tale Heart
-Great Expectations
-Harry Potter???
-Episodes from crime/detective show (NCIS, Elementary,etc.)

Whould these be any good, plus any other suggestion are much appreciated :) Thanks

Last edited:

carlahs

HSC
I'm doing the The Tempest by Shakespeare so any suggestions for a related poem???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)