Board of Studies reveals 2004 raw marks (1 Viewer)

Plebeian

acmilan said:
Maybe his school based ranking was better than his exam ranking
Greeninsanity is a girl (and a nice one at that :uhhuh: ), but yeah that would be it.

Since she got 90 aligned for Ancient, it would seem that the band 6 cutoff was 83. If more people with exact aligned marks like that (70, 80, 90, etc.) get their results, it will really help with determining the raw cutoffs.

Digging a little deeper into Ancient, though, I found a bit of a discrepancy. According to Table A3 of the UAC Scaling of the 2004 NSW HSC Report , an aligned mark of 90.0 lay at the 90th percentile. This would suggest that 10% of people got band 6. However, according to the Board of Studies band descriptor data, 11.69% of people got band 6. I suppose the difference is probably simply rounding error, but 9600 people did ancient so a 1.6% error is over a hundred students. Maybe Lazarus can explain when he gets back.

My raw marks should be back within a few days, I hope, although I don't know if they'll be much help for determining bands since all of my aligned marks were above 90.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ everything helps.
BTW: Love you sig. Puts a smile on my face.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Techie said:
Digging a little deeper into Ancient, though, I found a bit of a discrepancy. According to Table A3 of the UAC Scaling of the 2004 NSW HSC Report , an aligned mark of 90.0 lay at the 90th percentile. This would suggest that 10% of people got band 6. However, according to the Board of Studies band descriptor data, 11.69% of people got band 6. I suppose the difference is probably simply rounding error, but 9600 people did ancient so a 1.6% error is over a hundred students. Maybe Lazarus can explain when he gets back.

My raw marks should be back within a few days, I hope, although I don't know if they'll be much help for determining bands since all of my aligned marks were above 90.
I think this is becasue the BOS round off 89.5 as 90, so there would actually be more band 6 than people who got just above 90 as a whole number. So the 10% from the UAC data excludes those who got 89.5.

Plebeian

Survivor39 said:
I think this is becasue the BOS round off 89.5 as 90, so there would actually be more band 6 than people who got just above 90 as a whole number. So the 10% from the UAC data excludes those who got 89.5.
Yeah, that makes sense - in hindsight, the figures in that table are obviously pre-rounding because they're not all whole numbers.

Slide Rule said:
BTW: Love you sig. Puts a smile on my face.

Plebeian

Sphyx said:
Wow thats nearly no scaling whatsoever, even though its an extension course.
Not quite ... it's almost no aligning. Even though the raw mark of 42 doesn't get aligned up much, an aligned mark of 42 in Extension History corresponds to a higher scaled mark than most other subjects, and it is UAC scaling that is important in the end (ie. for the UAI).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
From those sets of marks, the cut-offs for English (Advanced) in 2004 appear to be in the following ranges:

Band 5/6: 80.8 - 81.4
Band 4/5: 67.1 - 67.4

I'll work out the others later... or I'll write a program to do it.

Thanks for posting them guys. :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lazarus said:
From those sets of marks, the cut-offs for English (Advanced) in 2004 appear to be in the following ranges:

Band 5/6: 80.8 - 81.4
Band 4/5: 67.0 - 68.2

I'll work out the others later... or I'll write a program to do it.

Thanks for posting them guys. :)
Hmm...I was off by 0.6 for Advanced English :)

When you figure them out do you just use trial and error, or do you have an Excel spreadsheet (or something similar) to do it for you?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I use a spreadsheet at the moment, but it's very fiddly.

The general process is relatively straightforward - we can't calculate exact cut-offs due to the Board's rounding, so instead we determine the 'error margin' for each band. First, pick a set of marks within a single band to work with. You subtract 0.5 from each aligned mark and estimate the cut-offs, giving an upper bound, and then you add 0.4 to each aligned mark and estimate the cut-offs, giving a lower bound. (Just estimate them with linear regression.)

Once you've estimated the endpoints for one band, you can sometimes use the estimated endpoints from an adjacent band to narrow the range. The Band 5/6 cut-off will limit the possible variation in the Band 4/5 cut-off and so on.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
hmm maybe i should submit mine for the greater good.. i got 90 in general maths i wonder what the raw mark was..
in that form thats posted up do u have to write ur subjects on those blank lines or is it just assumed

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
They'll have your courses on record - just fill in the personal details at the top. :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Hey Laz do you know why they gave my mark out of 100? Do you think its a typo or they actually changed it into a mark out of 100?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
acmilan said:
Hey Laz do you know why they gave my mark out of 100? Do you think its a typo or they actually changed it into a mark out of 100?
I'm afraid I don't know.

I am the only student who has had their 2U English mark reported out of 105 - even Ragerunner, who was the next student to apply for marks after I did, had his English mark reported out of 100.

Just phone them up and have it clarified.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Hmm....mine was actually reported out of 105. I am also not sure why they reported yours out of 100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)