Board of Studies reveals 2004 raw marks (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
Unfortunately, no.
Damn.
When I saw this thread in my "New subscribed" list after it had laid dormant for a couple of months, I thought you might have received the BOS report...ah well...

Idyll

HSC
just out of curiosity, did you ask for them by section withoutaface? that might explain why it's taking quite a while

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Damn.
When I saw this thread in my "New subscribed" list after it had laid dormant for a couple of months, I thought you might have received the BOS report...ah well...
Same here. Ah well. I guess... try as hard as you can and you'll do as well as you can, or close to it.

Idyll said:
just out of curiosity, did you ask for them by section withoutaface? that might explain why it's taking quite a while
I believe he did, yes.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I suspect they may have had quite a number of applications - I sent one on 30 Dec 2004 (requesting other data) and still haven't received a formal response, even though the statutory time period has expired.

Another user who requested marks by section had that request denied on 20 January 2005:

Reasons for Decision
I have also determined that your request for raw HSC examination marks other than Total Weighted Marks for all HSC courses to be refused. This refusal is pursuant to the provisions of Schedule 1 of the FOI Act at clause 16 (Documents concerning operations of agencies) paragraphs (a)(i) and (ii) relating to access being prejudicial to the effectiveness or the attainment of the objects of tests and examinations. The specific information sought by you is a confidential aspect of the annual HSC marking program for the reason that its wider availability would compromise the integrity of the marking program in future years. Accordingly, I have determined that the disclosure of this information is contrary to the public interest.
I think those grounds would be relatively easy to overcome on appeal, given that the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority permits mark breakdowns to be published in relation to the VCE - and the "integrity of the marking program" hasn't been compromised there.

Still. Appeals take effort, and money. Cost/benefit analysis would seem to indicate that it's not worth it.

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
After reading many posts im still not understanding what each of these mean. can somebody explain them to me?

Total Weighted
Mark Aligned Examination
Mark Initial Moderated Assessment
Mark Aligned Assessment Mark

acmilan said this

"But remember you cant count on them being the same for next year

eg. For English Advanced in 2001 Lazarus' 77 aligned to 84 whilst in 2004 my 76 aligned to 86."

with the raw mark lazarus and acmilan have stated, 77 and 76 respectively is that your raw hsc mark(raw assessment mark + raw test mark) or what???

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Tommy_69 said:
After reading many posts im still not understanding what each of these mean. can somebody explain them to me?
Total Weighted Mark - This is essentially your raw examination mark (i.e. the figure that was awarded by the HSC markers). In some cases, it includes minor modifications where an option question was unduly difficult etc.

Aligned Examination Mark - This is your total weighted mark after it has been aligned to the course standards. Experienced teacher-judges decide, according to the standard of the examination responses, which marks should equate to a Band 6 performance and so on. Marks are 'aligned' accordingly.

Raw School Assessment Mark - This is the total assesment mark awarded to you by your school and is the one they send in to the Board.

Initial Moderated Assessment Mark - This is your raw school assessment mark after it has undergone a moderating procedure to make it comparable with marks from other schools. It is also on the same scale as the total weighted mark.

Aligned Assessment Mark - Your assessment mark after it has undergone the same aligning procedure as was applied to your total weighted mark.

Raw HSC Mark - The average of your total weighted mark and initial moderated assessment mark. This is the mark that is scaled for inclusion in your UAI.

<a href="/other/flowchart.pdf">This flowchart</a> might assist you in understanding how the different marks relate to each other... however, the "raw external examination mark" box should actually be labelled "total weighted mark".

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Lazarus said:
I suspect they may have had quite a number of applications - I sent one on 30 Dec 2004 (requesting other data) and still haven't received a formal response, even though the statutory time period has expired.

Another user who requested marks by section had that request denied on 20 January 2005:

I think those grounds would be relatively easy to overcome on appeal, given that the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority permits mark breakdowns to be published in relation to the VCE - and the "integrity of the marking program" hasn't been compromised there.

Still. Appeals take effort, and money. Cost/benefit analysis would seem to indicate that it's not worth it.
Damn. Why are they still taking so long to send them back if they've already made a decision for the particular situation under which I've applied though?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ It's possible that they make a different decision per subject.

Maths is black and white. It's pretty hard to twist their marking criteria to your advantage in later years. English or something on the other hand - maybe it would make them look very stupid or something.

Also, I'd suggest that they are quite aware that threads like this exist or will exist about some of the data they release.

S

Shuter

Hmmmmm, I might get around to subbmitting my form. I always wondered how my Bio and Eco results could come back so dissapointingly, whereas on the flipside my physics was much higher than expected.

Anyway, my 53 in Ex2 Maths and 57ass/73exam in Ex1 maths should provide some useful info on lower end aligning.

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
anyone know what a band 6 cut off for business studies would roughly be?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Tommy_69 said:
anyone know what a band 6 cut off for business studies would roughly be?
I don't think anyone who did Business Studies and got a Band 6 submitted a form...or at least if they did, they didn't put their marks on BoS. So no-one knows...

Cab31

HSC
i have never even heard of this thing....where do you guys find this stuff out from? they never tell you at school or anything that you can apply for these marks

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Cab31 said:
i have never even heard of this thing....where do you guys find this stuff out from? they never tell you at school or anything that you can apply for these marks
It's just something that Lazarus managed to do a couple of years back...technicaly students aren't meant to find out their raw marks, which is why it's not mentioned at school.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
yet, due to the precedent being allowed, then therefore it must be followed. it was thanks to laz that we can actually get our marks back. or else they would have deprived us of oour rights. :D

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Unfortunately, the precedent was reversed in January of this year.

No-one has yet attempted to have that decision overturned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)