Board of Studies reveals raw marks! (2001) (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
for $30 would i be able to get more accurate scaling curves for all subjects and the conversion factor between aggregate and UAI?
Nope... the Board doesn't have any of that information.

I mentioned that dealing with UAC is a little trickier - they are (or rather, "universities" are) exempted from FOI legislation.

Winston

HSC
man... i read the links lol how on earth can they have scored less than 44.4? shit... that's really not even putting effort into their studies.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Nope... the Board doesn't have any of that information.

I mentioned that dealing with UAC is a little trickier - they are (or rather, "universities" are) exempted from FOI legislation.

i'm sure you could find some kind of legal loop hole :)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by 04er
:(
:p.but u could always try with friends......i only said publicly........theres no stopping people from obtaining the pic personally......

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
man... i read the links lol how on earth can they have scored less than 44.4? shit... that's really not even putting effort into their studies.
Fort most people - you really have to try to get below 50's !! try to not do anything at all for the whole yr

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i suppose the UAC could release a UAI calculator without disclosing any school ranks or individual UAI scores.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Laz, how does adjusting marks for various optional topics work/?? Does that means theres an advantage when choosing optional topics that no one else does, sorta like scaling of subjects them selfs??

santaslayer

HSC
why would there be an advantage in doing an optiaonal topic over the other? It still all hsc standard right?

Carlito

HSC
My uni's website says:

The NSW Freedom of Information Act provides that students may, upon request, obtain [a copy of] their examination scripts or any other written answers to examinations questions, provided that the request is made within three months of the release of the results of the examinations.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
That's for university.

I think Laz said the UAC is exempt, not the universities.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Universities are only exempt from the operation of the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (NSW) for "functions relating to dealing with information with respect to the ranking or assessment of students who have completed the Higher School Certificate for entrance into tertiary institutions."

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Universities are only exempt from the operation of the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (NSW) for "functions relating to dealing with information with respect to the ranking or assessment of students who have completed the Higher School Certificate for entrance into tertiary institutions."

Well, only the marks themselves are to do with the ranking and assessment of students. That is, the scaling data and conversion between aggregrate cannot be used to assess students with out their marks. Am I right?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Sadly, "relating to dealing with" are very broad terms. :)

Scaling would certainly relate to dealing with information with respect to the ranking of students.

The purpose of the legislature in exempting universities from the operation of the FOI Act was (primarily) to prevent the media from accessing students' UAIs. Any new interpretation of the exemption clause would have to uphold that intention whilst allowing certain other pieces of data to pass through. Difficult to accomplish.

I think there are better ways to access the information.

santaslayer

HSC
We were just talking about judicial interpretation of words stated in legislation today in Law :p

Apparently you would first enquire about the whole purpose/intention of legislating the Freedom of Information Act 1989(NSW). This is given authority by (s) 33 of the Interpretation Act 1987 (NSW). The section was constructed to promote the purpose or object underlying an Act, whether expressly stated or not when interpreting meanings of words.
You would also go out of your way to find materials that supported a definition of the specific word pursuant to (s) 34 of the same Act above. This gives provisions for consideration of any other authorised material to assist in the ascertainment of the provision. Authorised materials include parliamentary reports, dictionaries:)p), and meanings of the same word from other legislation. (not an definite list)

This would be only a broad idea of how you would start interpreting ambiguouis/broad terms within legislation .

As for the words "relating to dealing"- that would be an exhaustive list....LoLz :p
NOTE: I only just left the law seminar and my understanding is not perfect :p

EDIT: what other ways are there of accessing such information?

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Question about Raw marks: I do Drama. If I apply to get my raw marks do i get them as one mark from 100, or would i get three seperate marks for my exam, group project and individual project?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You should be able to obtain each mark separately so long as you make it clear in your FOI application. Instead of simply asking for your "raw examination mark", find out the official Board names for your individual and group project marks and ask for them as well.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
And if they have them recorded, do they HAVE to give them to me? (I know that sounds a bit dumb.. point of the act, but still.)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
santaslayer said:
EDIT: what other ways are there of accessing such information?
hack the department of education mainframe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)