Board of Studies reveals raw marks! (2001) (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Will_Sparky said:
And if they have them recorded, do they HAVE to give them to me? (I know that sounds a bit dumb.. point of the act, but still.)
I'm sure they could try to find a way out... but I don't really think you need to worry about it. It seems as though they don't mind giving the raw marks of an individual student to that student.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Jago said:
hack the department of education mainframe.

haha.....kabaam done.

passwords encountered
class:c3e sector:1132(1) pw trebl555
system's password. kleopatra0123
administrator's: raort1254

remote access av16vw "cache" error.
just make them a 'grub' a "dm12215327DEO2c value"

then enter your student number/
then
pair them a oc8759894 ii(normal)

and your in to 'your info..'

its not a drag and drop db and all encoded so after aalll that you get 580 lines that look like this
"1010101011101010101010101"

haha so break in their office and steal a hdd they have software thats glued "explorer" unitendified
then after you get it 0iew2.dll missing

only way is to physically get a copy i guess

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Laz, to get a module by module breakdown, do you think the Board would kick up a stink? And has anybody tried?

If not, would we go about applying using the standard FOI form, or would I have to write in a seperate letter?

fantasia

HSC
if you apply under the FOI act to access our raw marks will they definately give us our marks or is their a review/application process?

eh i might apply and donate it to BOS. since only laz and pagerunner have been successful right?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
fantasia said:
if you apply under the FOI act to access our raw marks will they definately give us our marks or is their a review/application process?

eh i might apply and donate it to BOS. since only laz and pagerunner have been successful right?
The FOI form can be found on the Board of studies.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/foi_application_form.pdf

If you wish to request one, ask Lazarus or myself, and we will help you fill it in by using the correct words to request the information you require.

I think only me and Lazarus are the only one's who have requested for it. But according to Lazarus, they have to release your marks to you if you request them. It will be reviewed but the decision to give you your raw marks will be given for sure.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just to clarify Ragerunner's comments:

fantasia said:
If you're only asking for your raw marks, in the form of total weighted marks (the same as those posted at the start of this thread), then they should be given to you no questions asked.

ujuphleg said:
Laz, to get a module by module breakdown, do you think the Board would kick up a stink? And has anybody tried?
As far as I know, no-one has tried yet. I can't see the Board refusing a per module breakdown, but it's possible. I believe schools are provided with access to something similar. If your initial request is denied, I'd be willing to assist with an appeal - though I don't think it would be necessary.

You can use the standard FOI form, so long as you explicitly state what you're requesting.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
oh so schools have access to that information? hmm... interesting.

With regards to the actual examination responses themselves, do they fall under the domain of FOI as well, or would different means be taken to obtain those?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
ujuphleg said:
With regards to the actual examination responses themselves, do they fall under the domain of FOI as well, or would different means be taken to obtain those?
There is some debate surrounding this issue.

If the Board retains your actual examination responses - or copies of them - you should have a prima facie right to access them under FOI. However, the Board requires students to sign a small slip of paper before taking each exam. Depending on the conditions printed on that form, signing it may waive your right to access your responses at a later date.

I think the last time this was brought up we decided that the conditions weren't that explicit, and the papers should still be accessible under FOI. It's not certain, though.

The Board would be permitted to destroy any physical copies of your responses after a reasonable time has passed - once this has happened, you obviously cannot apply for access to them. It seems unlikely that the Board would retain (digital) copies of all responses.

If you can, grab a spare form from one of your supervisors so we can see the conditions. :)

Tammie

," the Board requires students to sign a small slip of paper before taking each exam. Depending on the conditions printed on that form, signing it may waive your right to access your responses at a later date.

I think the last time this was brought up we decided that the conditions weren't that explicit, and the papers should still be accessible under FOI. It's not certain, though."

I thought that somebody under 18 could not entre into a contract unless it was for their own beniftis (this is what my legal studies techer tells me anyway) So if this is true wouldn't signing the attendence slip that takes the right to access you answers away not be in your best interests. If this is so then wouldn't someone who is under 18 at the time of the examinations be guarenteed a copy of their answers under FOI act????

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You're right, there are a number of contractual exceptions in the case of minors, but I don't think this form would be viewed as a contract... what would it be viewed as? I don't know. It's entirely possible that it would have no legal standing at all.

If that form doesn't pose any obstacles, you should be able to access the papers.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The relevant parts of the form as far as I remember (I can't remember the top two but they aren't related to it)

The Board of Studies reserves the right to retain or destory student's original HSC answers (Ill write it exactly down on the question sheet during maths on monday)

And
The Board of Studies may use any students work in the educational suppliments (or something to that effect)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
HSC completion form

Lazarus said:
If you can, grab a spare form from one of your supervisors so we can see the conditions. :)
eeehheee...

managed to nick one of those forms, as requested.

its points 3. and 4. that pertain to the answers themselves.

" 3. The Board of Studies reserves the right to retain or destroy students' original written Higher School Certificate examination answers.

4. The Board of Studies may use students' original HSC examination responses in its educations publications. "

So, if they have to adhere to the keeping documents for x amount of time rule, then i suppose if i apply under FOI as soon as results are out i should still be able to get them?

oh and do i get scavenger hunt points? It was a little hairy trying to obtain this blue piece of paper.... :)

Tammie

Society and Culture raw PIP mark????

Another question.....I do society and culture and we have to complete the P.I.P which is worth 30% of the HSC mark... exam 70%......when we get our results we only get the HSC mark which is combined with the PIP and we dont get a PIP mark. Would we be able to obtain this mark under FOI act?? or would that only be the raw exam mark....eg would we get the breakdown of both or just the HSC exam+ PIP raw mark? hope this doesnt sound confusing not good at explaining :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You could request a breakdown of individual marks - just make sure you explicitly state that in your application. Be as specific as possible. Any ambiguities will cause delays etc.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
hey, did you claim back your 50% rebate? You could have.

on: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/foi_guidelines.html

it states that:

"Rebates of 50 percent are offered on all charges: *
For pensioners with the Health Benefit Card as well as those with an equivalent income who are under financial hardship;
For non-profit organisations under financial hardship;
Where public interest can be demonstrated; and
For children."

Surely youre raw mark information was used in public interest, hence, you can claim $15 of your $30 back?

I know its a measly amount, but i like making the Board of Studies suffer. :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The Board would probably dispute any public interest claims. :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Hey i was just wondering under the form of access section do you say yes or no to:
1. i wish to inspect documents
2. i require a copy of documents
3.i require access in another form?

Also will stating you student number be enough or do they also want you pin number?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)