Boat People (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

Anally raped by neoliberal economics. Deary me, backs against the wall fellas.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
Anally raped by neoliberal economics. Deary me, backs against the wall fellas.
You will only be raped by neoliberal economics if you dont get in tune with the market...and the market doesn't care what race you are.

Racists are better served by non market policies. By cutting off the market other methods for the determination of wealth (ie through the state) can be imposed. And in some cases the state does care what race you are.

K

katie_tully

Meh. I know that economically they don't give a shit what race you are, and I've never argued against that fact.
Hopefully slaving away at uni for four years and remaining in the country will mean I can remain relatively safe from the raging war that is politics, economics and scared little white men.

Lozacious

Banned
HSC
erawamai said:
You will only be raped by neoliberal economics if you dont get in tune with the market...and the market doesn't care what race you are.

Racists are better served by non market policies. By cutting off the market other methods for the determination of wealth (ie through the state) can be imposed. And in some cases the state does care what race you are.
So what you’re saying, is that the greens/ALP want to let them all in but don’t want to introduce economic reforms to handle them all.. But the liberals don’t want to let them all in, but wants to introduce economic reforms to deal with the ones already here.

Tarni1

HSC
katie_tully said:
I totally agree. I think the hysteria caused by some certain left wing factions about the conditions in the detention centres is false and misleading. If you come here illegally, you should not expect special treatment. I dare say that if you're coming to Australia from squalor, air conditioned, self contained rooms with food and fresh water would be first class. I know I would not be complaining.

Whilst it may be unnecessary for some to be detained for 7 years whilst being processed, I don't think that a moderate wait is unreasonable, especially if you do not have the papers or adequate proof on hand to prove that you are a genuine refugee.

I know that our homeless children, men and women of Australia wouldn't complain if they were given the same accomodation at the expense of the Australian tax payer.
They in no way expect 'special treatment'. What they do expect, however, is to be treated humanely - just the way you want to be treated. They simply want a safe envoironment. The fact is they are people, LIKE YOU AND ME. And as people we all simply want a safe environment. Their main purpose for coming to our country was to escape persecution etc, I doubt very much if their purpose was to receive 'special treatment'

Tarni1

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
You dont need to know alot bout immigration to comment here, because the answer is quite basic.

*Immigration has a purpose, so that people are screened etc and so that we at least get people who will contribute to our society

*Refugees and illegal immigrants are for the most part, un-educated, unskilled, and will no doubt become unproductive members of society

= Dont Accept LOTS of Refugees
I think you'll find that people who travel here very much want to contribute to society. They are willing to learn, be educated etc - a lot more than what I can say for some others in Australia. A nation can not simply 'pick and choose' who they want to make a 'perfect' soceity - isn't that a bit nazism?? We are all individuals
Refugees uneducated and unskilled? Become unproductive? That is the biggest piece of garbage I have heard, and so proves further to your lack of knowledge on this subject!
Oh and, we're not accepting "LOTS" of refugees, so no need to worry....

Tarni1

HSC
Lozacious said:
The government has enacted legislation which allows these people to be detained until it their eligibility can be determined. It is not unconstitutional, as the government has powers to make laws regarding immigration.
The detention itself isn't a punishment, but misbehaviour inside the camp can result in a punishment. After all, we wouldn't want them getting hurt or anything would we?

But if they are truely fleeing persecution, with their life hanging by a thread in their own country.. They wouldn't mind spending this time in a detention center.
Actually, there have been detainees who have fled from war, horror etc, and once in a detention centre have requested to be sent home - this proves just how inhumane the centres are. We would not know half of the things which happen in their, as howard is always trying to cover it up. The fact is they do mind, as it is unjust. And how did you figure that they wouldnt mind anyway? Do you know exactly how people feel in these centres? - They are awful.

Tarni1

HSC
katie_tully said:
Look, I have no problem with immigrants. I come from am immigrant background. I appreciate what immigrants did for Australia, especially after World War 2.
I disagree though with the need to let anybody and everybody in the country. I disagree with 7 years detention, but I don't think moderate detention is unreasonable.
Nor do I believe that the conditions of detention centres are unreasonable, especially if they did flee from squalor and war.
So beause they escape from 'squalor and war' they deserve it? They do not deserve basic human rights like us? youre prejudice is showing

Lozacious

Banned
HSC
Tarni1 said:
Actually, there have been detainees who have fled from war, horror etc, and once in a detention centre have requested to be sent home - this proves just how inhumane the centres are.
No, this just shows that there are liars in the camp who realised that they were going to be sent home anyway, as they weren't refugees, which also shows that the detention center system works in screaning out the illegals.

Tarni1 said:
We would not know half of the things which happen in their, as howard is always trying to cover it up. The fact is they do mind, as it is unjust. And how did you figure that they wouldnt mind anyway? Do you know exactly how people feel in these centres? - They are awful.
How are the detention centers awful? They aren't slums, which is one step up from the place which the assylum seekers have come from. It isn't unjust, as it is making our legal system more effective..

They are offered the essentials. The only protest that they have, is that they aren't out in Australia, which is a right that they don't deserve to have because they aren't Australians, and have come here illegally, and hence should be governed by our laws. We just can't let everyone into Australia, we wouldn't be able to keep track of them all.

Jiga

They in no way expect 'special treatment'
Seems like they do, cos they are certainly not content enough with roofs over their head and hot food.......rioting.

A nation can not simply 'pick and choose' who they want to make a 'perfect' soceity - isn't that a bit nazism?? We are all individuals
Perfect society, nazi's, pfft. This isnt about creating a society of drones like the Nazis, where every1 has to be white skin coloured and have blonde hair etc. This is about immigration, and yes we bloody well can pick and choose who we do and do not want. This also isnt about choosing people based on their physical appearance. With your logic of choose anyone, its 'nazism' (is dat a word) for employees to employ people based on their qualifications, because thats what you relate choosing desirable ppl via immigration as being like :rolleyes:. I suppose we should allow criminals into Australia as well? We would want to pick and choose.

Refugees uneducated and unskilled? Become unproductive? That is the biggest piece of garbage I have heard, and so proves further to your lack of knowledge on this subject!
And your last post speaks for itself, references to nazi's, LOL. There are many arguements in favour of letting refugees into Australia.....yours ISNT one of them.

Oh and, we're not accepting "LOTS" of refugees, so no need to worry....
Yes, due to our governments stance! If it were not for such a strict attitude, who knows what would happen, because there would be no deterants for ANY inidivudal, refugee or not, to enter via boat.

Actually, there have been detainees who have fled from war, horror etc, and once in a detention centre have requested to be sent home - this proves just how inhumane the centres are. We would not know half of the things which happen in their, as howard is always trying to cover it up. The fact is they do mind, as it is unjust. And how did you figure that they wouldnt mind anyway? Do you know exactly how people feel in these centres? - They are awful.
Tell, how do you know how they feel? How did you figure that they would mind? Have you visited them? More than likely your opinion is based off the media, a very reliable source :rolleyes: . And even if you somehow have met them, you would expect comments like 'they want to go back to where they came' so that people like you are lured in emotionally, when its all a load of crap. IF they are genuine refugees, I doubt air-conditioning, roofs over their head, hot food etc is worse than the death and devasation they came from :rolleyes:

They do not deserve basic human rights like us?
Basic Human rights? Where do you get off? Ask any bum on the street whether theyd see the refo's current living conditions as a breach of basic human rights!

Something I think we havnet touched on is the word asylum seeker, which they weret referred to as. Defintion

"someone who leaves their own country for their safety, often for political reasons or because of war, and who travels to another country hoping that the government will protect them and allow them to live there"

I would think putting them in a detention centre, where they are away from any danger would be 'protecting them'.

In addition to this, they mostly leave from Indonesia and surrounds on their boats right? So realistically they are no longer refugees or asylum seekers, theyve escaped their own country where they danger was, why is it that they must then come to Australia? Soft target me thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:

spell check

HSC
being detained indefinitely without charge, let alone trial, is a gross breach of basic human rights

people seem to think australia exists in some vacuum where we aren't effected by the social and economic problems that exist all over the world, in countries not so fortunate, where people aren't so lucky to be born into middle class comfort as most of us are. it's no wonder you're so concerned about national security and keeping australia as white as possible - we have to maintain our position at the top of the food chain! fuck the rest of them

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
it's no wonder you're so concerned about national security and keeping australia as white as possible - we have to maintain our position at the top of the food chain! fuck the rest of them
Well I do agree that nations have a responsibility to look after their own people, first and foremost, then if they are charitable, they should look after the rest of the world.

spell check

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Something I think we havnet touched on is the word asylum seeker, which they weret referred to as. Defintion

"someone who leaves their own country for their safety, often for political reasons or because of war, and who travels to another country hoping that the government will protect them and allow them to live there"

I would think putting them in a detention centre, where they are away from any danger would be 'protecting them'.

In addition to this, they mostly leave from Indonesia and surrounds on their boats right? So realistically they are no longer refugees or asylum seekers, theyve escaped their own country where they danger was, why is it that they must then come to Australia? Soft target me thinks.
are you suggesting they could live on the sea?
if you can't see why indonesians would come here for asylum maybe you need to look on a map. they don't exactly have jumbo jets or ocean liners to get around in

spell check

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well I do agree that nations have a responsibility to look after their own people, first and foremost, then if they are charitable, they should look after the rest of the world.
i think that is an archaic view that can only perpetuate insecurity.

if all nations looked after the rest of the world more, it would alleviate problems such as global terrorism, wars, displacement, disease and the such

it's pretty artificial to consider states as definitive blocs of people now anyway, the world is supposedly globalised, we can't embrace globalisation while denying the free movement of labour around the world can we?

supercharged

HSC
N/A
If people were geniunely fleeing horrific war, torture, famine or whatever, they should be pleased with being inside a detention centre.

At least they are safe, have a roof over their heads, beds, access to TV and free food. If they complain and winge then they aren't genuine refugees and should be sent back.

Jiga

are you suggesting they could live on the sea?
if you can't see why indonesians would come here for asylum maybe you need to look on a map. they don't exactly have jumbo jets or ocean liners to get around in
Firstly, I was referring to how people from afganistan for example come hre via Indonesia, not Indo's themselves. But the fact that you would also accept them here, even though they are obviously not refugees, shows your ridiculousy extreme stance on this matter. In other words, as Ive been saying, and as some politician said the other day as well : your a "fairy"

being detained indefinitely without charge, let alone trial, is a gross breach of basic human rights
Breach of Human rights, whats next, its unfair to keep criminals in jails?

you're so concerned about national security and keeping australia as white as possible - we have to maintain our position at the top of the food chain! fuck the rest of them
Keeping Australia as white as possible, hahhahahahahahahahaahahah. That is all.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
it's pretty artificial to consider states as definitive blocs of people now anyway, the world is supposedly globalised, we can't embrace globalisation while denying the free movement of labour around the world can we?
Yes, globalisation erodes the power of the state.

Jiga

If people were geniunely fleeing horrific war, torture, famine or whatever, they should be pleased with being inside a detention centre.

At least they are safe, have a roof over their heads, beds, access to TV and free food. If they complain and winge then they aren't genuine refugees and should be sent back.
Its been said so many times, yet those pro-refugee fairies still dont get it. Its prity basic to, its quite obvious living conditions in' detention centres' are superior to that of the place they came from......yet its a breach of human rights :rolleyes:.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Why not? Globalisation is only about international trade and communication, movements of people between countries is up to tourism and immigration departments.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Its been said so many times, yet those pro-refugee fairies still dont get it. Its prity basic to, its quite obvious living conditions in' detention centres' are superior to that of the place they came from......yet its a breach of human rights
The problem being that the refugee's have not been...
a) Charged with a crime.
OR
b) Told why they are not a legitimate refugee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)