Body of Work Ideas (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Dude - Basquiat ain't exactly easy! :eek:

He was one of the best painters of the 20th century, because unlike most painters - he actually knew and respected paint.

That type of respect and understanding takes years for most people to develop.... and some never do!

joe1016

HSC
yeah, we just studied basquait....his practice would be difficult, to just "knock up". the meanings behind his work and the images....arent just things you can do at first go.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
u dont need to be an expert at painting IF ur using painting as a medium, to get high marks for ur art practice. as long as the process is there, and what ur doing with ur brushstrokes/mixture of colours etc. is justified in ur VAPD, ur set :D

joe1016

HSC
yeah thats really true........some of the works you see in artexpress must have been really well backed up.....

have u guys seen 06 artexpress what did u guys think?

Last edited:

Jeza

HSC
Hey well tell me what you think of my concept
Its principally a simple concept, an exploration of self portaiture and a series of mediums. Some are serious but I contradict them with satirical digital apropriations where I install my self into the portraits of other peoples portaits I.e girl with a pearl earring, Mona Lisa. I guess I'm questioning the nature of a self portrait where initially it depicts my self, I depict not myself pointing out how a self portrait is not really a self portrait but a fiction of my own desire. Make sense? what you think.
check out my jpeg attach ment lol

Last edited:

coopesdeville

HSC
N/A
to SPUNGE 12,
My attention comes back to you as the originator of these pages of forum. Did you end up having a result useing perspecs as a medium to depict the subject matter you mentioned, "19th century chinese culture" i'm now intrigued of what resulted.
My personal love and like of perspecs is with interior lighting. you might say i have a lighting/lamp fetish!. What i do own, are several French 60's +70's perspecs lamps.
I'm sure it's far to late now for your first concept but perhaps on another piece, my suggestion would be to outline design on perspecs then highlite/go over with a engraver, leaving a etched print/design to experament with, using ink/paint, applied to etched makings or where ever worked for you with the added applicacation of lighting place behind. of course you will have to experiment with this concept, but it does work for me. [you can use as many globes and colours behind perspecs as you think is right for you]....... ........ ...........

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
dfAreNt said:
Hey Andrew :p

Umm, dont want to give too much away but,
I'm doing my piece based on the subject of conformity and difference in todays society in reference to adolescents.
This shall mainly be a digital work, much photography and much digital manipulation.
My ideas similar except i'm doing social times and the effects on youth in Japan. So i'm doing things like suicide, stress, self inflicted pain & the overlapping of technology and culture.

jazzmuzik

HSC
Is this for 2007 HSC students?...
My plan atm is a large panoramic appropriation of Hokusai's "Great Wave at Kanagawa" (not sure if you know it) it goes from left to right (inspired a little by whitely's "the american dream") into images of the 2004 asian tsunami. Its about the changes and constants of the relationship between humans and the environment, and the romantic representation of things as opposed to their real nature. Its a combine of paint and collage. and is made up of 10 panels divided with strings of paper cranes..
I'm really happy with my idea but i'll need to work on the actual application of materials etc.
any advice, commments?

shortay26

HSC
hey guys for my 2007 b.o.w

im thinking about doing a feminist sculptural piece

any ideas

shorty xx

annliveshere

HSC
for a medium, im thinking of doing encoustic painting on panels of wood..

but my concept.. lol you can tell me if mine is shit, because it seems to be one hell of a lot more personal than many of yours.. everyone seems to be making bold political multi-national statements! which i guess in a way, i want to as well.. but.. my beginning is far more.. personal.

basically, i want to do "portraits" of my best friends, but in stead of their faces, their shoes.
each panel will be a painting (well, drawing layered with paint..) of my friends feet wearing a different pair of shoes to symbolise who they are. because i just feel like shoes/feet are symbollic of what a person is made of, where they have been and where they are going.

i hope this isnt a totally shit idea to you.

xo

soulprincess-89

HSC
i feel your pain AlyBum. my work sucks. all these ideas are so good and it just makes me feel worse. im painting abstract sky. i was going to do landscapes but my teacher thought skyscapes would suit me better because i paint feelings with colour. its not really a concept though, is it? all these ideas seem so put together and good and mines crap. i know im an abstract artist but im so stuck on this. =(​

jessal

HSC
mchappypants said:
My concept is a lil iffy as i tend to go off on tangents and try to incorporate more than one meaning in my works, often unrelated.

I plan to explore the nature of consumerist fuelled cultures using landscapes of sydney, an environment whose culture almost revolves around material values, as a vehicle to resolve my ideas. I'm using universal symbols for sydney (the opera house, harbour bridge etc) as well as the large buildings as a metaphor for the needless consumption of such a culture.

I want my work to appear very busy, somewhat like pollocks paintings only more representational. I plan to use a number of different media (inks, charcoal, felt pens) to create rough, imperfected gestural lines somewhat similar to the work of Craig Ruddy. This will all be drawn on receipts pasted onto canvases...

what do yas think? too complicated?
sounds great. not too complicated at all.

JameshC

HSC
Seeing as everyones throwing advice around, I might as well too.
Me and my friend both got into art express for our works last year. I did drawing with ink and he did film (he started and finished his the weekend before).

When you think about concept it feels more comfortable to create some huge explanation in your head e.g. "I'm gonna do a work about Socialogical changes since the dawn of time which will reflect man's struggle to achieve an identity in a turbulant world." Its also comfortable to start planning it to every last stroke e.g. "four paintings, each with a different era, a figure taking up half of the canvas, light getting darker from left to right, a mole above the lip..."

but such things will hinder you greatly. Remember you don't get to submit a rationale and they may not look at your VAPD so if you have to use stupid elaborate language to sum up your concept, then how are you going to effectively do it visually? For example one of my friends wanted his concept to be about hemmingways books and how they relate to us. I only found out this right at the end tho when I saw it written on a sheet because they were just paintings of bulls. You can't have an extremely specific concept it has to relate to everyone not just you.

you do have tools to make your concept clear tho, I used reappearing images so even if the marker doesn't understand the symbolism, they can at the very least see that its there and maybe draw different meaning from it. You need to make your work open to interpretation. You can also help you're self by creating a meaninful title. E.g. I called mine "All the King's horses" relating to humpty dumpty which can draw on many ideas to a viewer.

Back to what I was saying about making it open to interpretation... my friends film he did the weekend before due date, I was helping him out and we decided it would be better just to make something that looks deep even though it has no real concept. even though this is reckless it's much better to make something with no clear cut meaning to you, as long as its gonna allow others to make meaning from it. If you want to see his film for ideas and see what I mean then go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_vEpWh81es

You'll see its complete visual jibberish but if you want to you can sit down and come out with crazy ideas. And trust me, the markers are going to sit down and try to come up with crazy ideas.

my advice on concept is to choose something simple that can be explained in one word but also in a paragraph, e.g power. But specificly your doing power relationships in society between the crowd and figure heads of society, where the masses prop up figureheads, change them, be changed, and tear them down again.

if you simplify your concept then you should find it easier to paint because you won't be locked into one single train of thought. Your work will be much more effective if it's natural and comes from within. It should aside from your concept be primarily about how you view your world not how others do.

And don't be so reserved when it comes to your work unless you're doing something like realism. The more you go crazy and experiment, the more your work will speak.

Even if you have no skill you can do really well in the way you approach this and throw things together. If you're only good at drawing small, then draw small on a massive scale (thats what I did, I sucked at drawing anything large but my works were still massive, just made up of tiny drawings). You need to draw on your strengths and on your perceptions.

My final advice is DONT plan your work too much, because it will never come across the way you planned. Just never stop reformulating your ideas because as you progress you'll come up with better ideas and better approaches. Don't stamp on them because on your little note pad it says you're just going to use red and blue or just going to do portraits. Make it natural, make it charismatic and make sure you walk away from this thing proud of what you've done. Oh and don't do what my friend did and do it last minute. He was an idiot, thank god he's a lucky (and talented) bastard.

Hope that helps,
James

Last edited:

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
I am planning on doing a series of large painted portraits of my family (quite close -up, from an unsual viewpoint perhaps?) . Is this too weak concept-wise???

JameshC

HSC
Its a good start, but you need to generate interest from the markers somehow because to them its just going to be unrecogniseable faces even though it has such significance to you personally. Are you planning to do it just as an accurate representation? I think if you added more surreal elements or anything to rock the boat a bit it would imediately add more interest and be a whole lot more fun to do.

jazzmuzik

HSC
thie is a question directed at "JameshC" if he's still around...
it just seems he has some good advice.

As i mentioned previously my artwork is an appropriation of the famous print by Hokusai "the great wave off kanagawa" (look it up if you dont know it, you will i think..) it covers 7 panels and i've continued the wave and water until it crashes into an island resembling the tsunami that hit the islands around Phuket in 2004.
Visually the link is clear. I am making the appropriation obvious and the island obviously the 2004 tsunami affected region. (using photographs from the media etc)

So the link is obvious to the audience and the meaning too, although its difficult to put into words. (does this make it a strong concept?)

If you look further into my diary i've defined it as the various relationships between humans and the environment and the power of nature to cause destruction etc...
although the menaing is made most clear by just seeing it.

comments? is this idea strong or too vague?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Well my concept sounds really crap compared to everyone elses.

Originally i was going to do stuff about Japan's youth and all the crap that they go through. Then i thought everyteenager goes through this so now i'm doing the TROUBLED MIND OF A TEENAGER. I which i'm doing paintings (Conceptual), Drawings & Sculpture of the body and "mind", like anorexia and exams and that kind of stuff. but i personally don't think its a string concept except my teacher and my friends and classmates do.

wallflower

HSC
Does any one know if you can just write a manifesto for the BOW?
And what category would it fall under? And do your eyes itch, because mine do.

JameshC

HSC
jazzmuzik said:
thie is a question directed at "JameshC" if he's still around...
it just seems he has some good advice.

As i mentioned previously my artwork is an appropriation of the famous print by Hokusai "the great wave off kanagawa" (look it up if you dont know it, you will i think..) it covers 7 panels and i've continued the wave and water until it crashes into an island resembling the tsunami that hit the islands around Phuket in 2004.
Visually the link is clear. I am making the appropriation obvious and the island obviously the 2004 tsunami affected region. (using photographs from the media etc)

So the link is obvious to the audience and the meaning too, although its difficult to put into words. (does this make it a strong concept?)

If you look further into my diary i've defined it as the various relationships between humans and the environment and the power of nature to cause destruction etc...
although the menaing is made most clear by just seeing it.

comments? is this idea strong or too vague?
Yeah I've seen that work before and i think its great ur using links to past works because it imediately lets the marker see that you've atleast thought about it in the slightest and that your aware of the art world and not just doing your own thing. You have to be careful though about it just not turning into one big wave. I really like ur idea though of using pictures from the media in it because that will really make it come alive.

I think ur concept is good especially with ur idea about the humanities relationship with nature, you should really think of how you can bring that out even more. As your doing a 7 panel work just with the one main image you have to be careful that you include enough points of interest to keep the markers looking at your work. My art teacher said you get 10 marks for every minute the marker looks at you work and that really stuck with me. For example you could put objects in the water as it crashes on the island that will bring out further concepts. It all comes down to what you think will make ur work strong though, You have to love it and fall in love with it so just keep working and I'm sure it will evolve and grow even without you meaning it to.

Make sure u pin ur art teacher down lots and ask them what they would like to see more of cause that really helped me, but also be confident enough to ignore their advice if it doesnt click with u cause otherwise it aint gonna do wonders with ur work.

In short tho it looks like uve thought it through and it sounds great so far, Sorry for the late reply and I hope that helped a bit. If you want any more advice just msg me or whatever
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)