Books are overpriced? (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Remember that it's not just the authors who receive the proceeds from the book. Their agent needs a cut, as does the publisher (and whoever within them works on the book including illustrators, designers, editors), distribution and the booksellers themselves.

A flimsy cotton dress might cost $5 to make but end up being $40 in a store. There's a lot of unseen costs in between that people tend to forget about but it's the same as any other product.

jennieTalia

HSC
I would expect it to cost more if it was self-published as well, or if there is an illustration aspect to it.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Not even illustration. Any design motif throughout a book, no matter how minimal, requires a designer (this also includes the cover - why do you think the orange penguin books are so cheap?)

EDIT: Oh and most self-published books aren't that expensive if you buy them from an online site or the author themselves. The author sets the price based on what they believe it is worth+minimal production cost and the online bookseller only adds a minimal percentage to that.

Last edited:

jennieTalia

HSC
Not even illustration. Any design motif throughout a book, no matter how minimal, requires a designer (this also includes the cover - why do you think the orange penguin books are so cheap?)

EDIT: Oh and most self-published books aren't that expensive if you buy them from an online site or the author themselves. The author sets the price based on what they believe it is worth+minimal production cost and the online bookseller only adds a minimal percentage to that.

Hahaha it's sort of like homebrand for books :D

binary star

HSC
They are expensive but hey, you can always get them second hand.

HSC
Try and avoid buying novels from Dymocks or Borders. Go to Big W/K-Mart to see if they have it first. Most of the time books sold there will be 20 - 35% off the RRP. I usually buy my favourite YA books there.

A lot of the 'expensiveness' of books comes from how much the bookstore wants to jack up their prices. Not just the author's ideas or publishing costs.

jennieTalia

HSC
I like Dymocks Book Lovers thing though.
I just got 10 bucks from that, just from buying the occasional book!

u-borat

Banned
HSC
the dymocks discount card is only 5% off you do realise; 10 dollars from that means you've spent 200 bucks at dymocks lmao.

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
the dymocks discount card is only 5% off you do realise; 10 dollars from that means you've spent 200 bucks at dymocks lmao.
but it makes me feel special, owning the dymocks card and all

jennieTalia

HSC
but it makes me feel special, owning the dymocks card and all
Mine isn't "off", and it isn't a discount card.

I think it's a bit extra. Because if I'm accumulating points on it, whilst paying the same as I would elsewhere then I'm happy :)

My staff card at Coles is only 5 percent. -.-

ieatbarbies

HSC
It is expensive but inexpensive depending on where you are looking and taking this from.

From a students perspective, it is expensive to pull out $20 after you finish a read and want another. Especially if you're an avid and keen reader.

However, when you think about it and where it is coming from and the little bits and pieces place it passes until it gets to you, I don't think it's all that bad.

And when you really think about it $20 for a truly intelligent read is nothing. Just think about how much you spend on other crap and what you get out of that in proportion and compare.

But yes, as a student, it's not really the most affordable thing in the world. I usually just borrow but I also like owning books that I have read and really really love. It's a bit like showing my endorsement and support to it, like downloading vs buying albums. I only buy music I truly believe deserve my money. Or books I've read really rad things about and HIGHLY doubt is anything beyong excellent.

studentcheese

HSC
I agree. They are too expensive. I can get a movie for $12 for the same price I could get with a book. Books should be worth $5 :D

HSC
I agree. They are too expensive. I can get a movie for $12 for the same price I could get with a book. Books should be worth $5 :D
But you'll probably spend at least five hours reading any decently lengthed book, and you also have the opportunity to reread.

Movies last ~2hrs, and you can't watch them again for free

u-borat

Banned
HSC
20 bucks for a book is a price that's simply too exorbitant imo. Especially when I'm unlikely to re-read it unless its very good because there's too much other stuff out there in the world to read.

*Jezzza

HSC
Uni Grad
My local bookshop had all these "classics" on sale for $6.95 the other day. Stuff like The Great Gatsby, Les Miserables, David Copperfield, Wuthering Heights. I ended up just buying Crime and Punishment

JustALittlesome

HSC
Hey guys, i found this cool new thing called a 'LIBRARY'

You can go there and get books for free!

crazy cool!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)