Books (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Nothing can beat a great book on history...
Except the Discworld books... Buying all 27 novels has been the greatest move of my life (to date).

lavenderbluf

i can't believe noone's sed conan doyle!!!!!!!!! man, sherlock holmes is da BEST!!!!!!

the china coin was so boring...................i read it in like.....year.....4?

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
i bought book 10 of the Wheel Of Time today...about bloody time he got off his arse and finished it :)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Hmm... I did write a couple of chapters of a book, two 'scenes', and character sketch of the main cast for my novel, but they were lost when the computer upgraded. There is a copy somewhere, I'm still waiting for it. :\

I did say Conan Doyle in another thread ages ago. ;) Though I've only gotten through a small portion of a huge book of his complete Holmes.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Lazy
i bought book 10 of the Wheel Of Time today...about bloody time he got off his arse and finished it :)
Need to pick that one up myself.

Currently reading Anne Rice's 'The Vampire Armand'... started reading the Vampire Chronicles when I couldn't find the sequel to 'The Witching Hour'. :(

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Fi

I love that book............so much better than the movie........and the movie is good.

I'm reading Toni Morrison's 'The Bluest eye'.........excellent novel:D :D
Yeah I have to read Toni Morrison's "Tar Baby" for uni, that was really good, a bit confusing but that style of writing is supposed to be!

Juliet

HSC
I love reading!

Favourite at the moment is the Harry Potter Series.

I am writing a novel myself so far its about 20 A4 pages long.:D

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
ahh waiting for across the nightingale floor #2
damn it a good BOOK!

SkAnDi

HSC
Sorry but like Ben Elton for the win!

I just bought the new WoT book today, i must say i'm pretty uninspired by the cover.

"wow, it's uhh brown, and has err.. 3 circles on it.. and is uhh... brown"

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
It dosent get much better believe me :rolleyes: Im very dissapointed in it. He dosent get ANYWHERE, and the way its set out is a joke. I've only got about 100 pages to go so im hoping it gets somewhere pretty bloody quick :mad1:

I think the old bastards finally lost it...

loziscool:D

I'm reading harry potter and the goblet of fire for the 10000th time. i need to go to the library... havent been for yonks.
I prefer childrens books (i'm not illiterate... i was studying english at uni... i just prefer childrens books lol). Yayo... go the Famous Five :D. Adults books always seem to try to hard to be meaningful, or be overly sarcastic, or just use huge ass words when a small word would suffice. :rolleyes:

SkAnDi

HSC
Originally posted by Lazy
It dosent get much better believe me :rolleyes: Im very dissapointed in it. He dosent get ANYWHERE, and the way its set out is a joke. I've only got about 100 pages to go so im hoping it gets somewhere pretty bloody quick :mad1:

I think the old bastards finally lost it...
So uhh, i'm 300 pages into the book... and they haven't even gone past Rand cleansing the source yet.

Uhhh... haven't even gotten TO rand yet.

I remember back in the early days... each book had so much going for it... these days it's just.. long.. long.. long.. LONG winded detail.

Ohh Enid Blyton *thumbs up* i must have about 80 of those book stashed in my garden shed hehe.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
i'm reading brett eastone-ellis' (sp?) "the rules of attraction" at the mo, only cos i saw the movie and it sucked so i'm hoping the book is better. umm other good books are alex garland's "the beach" (anyone like that? i haven't met a SINGLE person who likes that book everyone says it's shit...i'm starting to wonder if i'm retarded or something..) and nick earls is pretty good too, i've read bachelor kisses and 48 shades of brown. and nick hornbys "about a boy" that's such an interesting read... the movie's actually not too bad either... even with hugh grant in it haha...

enid blyton.. isn't she the one who wrote famous five and secret seven and other such crazy things?! haha... those books were soo old-fashioned..

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
Zannaz my friend. We have much in common.

I LOVE reading.

Fav authors.

David Eddings (Belgariad and all that)
Ian Irvine (Shadow on the mirror)
J.V.Jones
Orson Scott Card
Katherine Kerr

Juliet

HSC
June 21st, June 21st, June 21st, June 21st, June 21st, come on, hurry up! btw if anyones wondering what June 21st is its when Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (book 5) comes out. AHHH! its only March!:sniper:

malayz_angel

I LOVE reading! As soon as I learned how to talk, my mum started teaching me how to read and ever since then, well, there's been no stopping me.

Here's the authors I have read in the past/read now:(as much in order as possible). there's only a few here... the list would be too long, otherwise!

Enid Blyton-- the first author I ever liked
Ann. M. Martin-- sounds pretty babyish now but in third grade my friends and I used to pretend to be the baby sitters
Roald Dahl-- man, he was a funny guy!!
R.L Stine--horror started becoming cool
Carolyn Keene--Nancy Drew, I started liking mysteries.
Melina Marchetta-- 'Looking For Alibrandi's author
Margaret Mitchell--'Gone With The Wind'
Jane Austen-- i had to read emma for school and i read all her other novels later
Minette Walters--started entering crime fiction
Agatha Christie--more crime. loved hercule poirot and the rest
Ruth Rendell-- I've only read three of hers and I aim to find more!
Marele Day--Claudia Valentine's pretty cool
P.D James--yep, u guessed it, another crime author

I've never read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but I do want to start

"If nobody's perfect then I want to be nobody."

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
If you like reading so much you should get more into the fantasy/sci-fi genre. People who like reading this much have great imaginations and this genre is perfect for them. (Its also my fav.)

If not, a must read is David Eddings. PERFECT. No more needs to be said.

Oh, and I agree, R.L Stine is pretty cool.

Juliet

HSC
R.L.Stine is a great author. I used to read his books all the time. Fear Street is a great series. I hope I said that right.:confused:

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Originally posted by johnson
i'm reading brett eastone-ellis' (sp?) "the rules of attraction" at the mo, only cos i saw the movie and it sucked so i'm hoping the book is better. umm other good books are alex garland's "the beach" (anyone like that? i haven't met a SINGLE person who likes that book everyone says it's shit...i'm starting to wonder if i'm retarded or something..) and nick earls is pretty good too, i've read bachelor kisses and 48 shades of brown. and nick hornbys "about a boy" that's such an interesting read... the movie's actually not too bad either... even with hugh grant in it haha...

enid blyton.. isn't she the one who wrote famous five and secret seven and other such crazy things?! haha... those books were soo old-fashioned..
Ah, I've been meaning to read The Beach but I always forgot to look for it (no wonder I've felt like I left something whenever I leave the library).

omg, I thought I'm the only one who like Nick Earls. No one seem to be mentioning him, ever. I really like him, always cheer me up. I've read all his books except Zig Zag Street and the new young adult one, can't remember the title.

Nick Hornby isn't too bad himself. I've only read About a Boy and High Fidelity, both were good.

Anyway...for the first time in ages I checked out the Young Adult fiction in the library and borrowed The Full Story by Brian Caswell & David Chiem, which I am reading now.
Also borrowed a Germaine Greer. Have never really read a feminist book before but it looked interesting enough.
And yesterday I borrowed Plath's The Bell Jar.
So I'm juggling three books, hopefully finished by Sunday night.
:)

elfgal

i just spent an insane amount of money on tolkien's complete history of middle-earth :D :eek: :eek: . i love tolkien too much for my own good (financially - why is it all so expensive )
i just finished reading across the nightingale floor and that was bloody awesome, love harry potter, anything by hanif kureishi or jhumpa lahiri, bridget jones 1 & 2, i've just started reading 'once'
by james herbert and it's good, looking for alibrandi was pretty good but i liked it better the first time i read it, white teeth and tuesday's with morrie (but i was really depressed when i read that so i was in the right mood, i guess).
i never made it past the 7th WoT book, but seeing the 10th one in shops i feel sort of prompted to read the rest. i started to get really bored around the 4th or 5th one though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)