Books (1 Viewer)

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Originally posted by elfgal
i never made it past the 7th WoT book, but seeing the 10th one in shops i feel sort of prompted to read the rest. i started to get really bored around the 4th or 5th one though
They dont get boring till book 8, its about then he loses it and just stops getting anywhere

Leap

free falling
HSC
i never made it past the 7th WoT book, but seeing the 10th one in shops i feel sort of prompted to read the rest. i started to get really bored around the 4th or 5th one though
I've bought all the books up to number 10 - but I never actually got past the 6th one. I was completely obsessed with them for ages, and then they kind of fizzled, I kept skipping forward to the next chapter about Rand and ignoring the rest.
:rolleyes:
i just spent an insane amount of money on tolkien's complete history of middle-earth . i love tolkien too much for my own good (financially - why is it all so expensive )
I'm exactly the same! I am so obsessed with middle earth its not funny! ;)

Enid Blyton-- the first author I ever liked
I loved the Enid Blyton books when I was a little kid! Especially the ones about the boarding schools. :D

I'm reading harry potter and the goblet of fire for the 10000th time.
I was quite dissapointed by the Goblet of Fire, it wasn't as good as the other ones, in my opinion. It took too long to get to the point. I used to be a big Harry Potter fan but then it became really popular, which put me off it entirely. Also, the movies are soooo crappy.

I prefer childrens books
same here! I love Susan Cooper's 'The Dark is rising' series, and anything by Dianna Wynne Jones.

Other authors which I like are
Tamora Pierce and Megan Whalen Turner (author of The Thief and The Queen of Attolia).
By the way - I don't usually like "spiritual" type books but I just have to ask, has anyone here read the Conversations with God books by Neale Donald Walsch? They are incredible!

Generator

HSC
N/A
I just started reading the wheel of time series...

Hehe, a week ago my train was pulling into the station, and when I looked up I saw a number of crows/ravens on and above the tax office... I found it funny.

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Heres a little freaky story for you all. I started reading Lord of the Rings again the other night, and i get near the end when Gandalf is talking to Frodo and he says "The new year will now always be celebrated on the 25th of March in Gondor, the day the dark lord fell..."

I look up at the calender and i realise its the 25th of March!

Freaked me out a little bit :p

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
I like V.C. Andrews books. Sure i will be the first to admit that they have pathetic plots and sterotypical characters but they just take me out of it.
Havent been doing much reading lately only for school. God i hated My bother jack and frankenstein, thank god they are finished.

danielle steel was one of my first likes that got me starting with reading.yeah i am a hopeless romantic, but onli to a cetain EXTENT!.
i'm also a fan of john grisham.
i found the book bone collector interesting.
chicken soup for the soul- a series of poems and real life stories are great for inspiration.
bryce courtenayz power of one was good.

but my favourites would have to be creative writing from ordinary people. stuff u find on the net.
orlando bloom fanfic used USED to be an addiction
shinwa (korean boy band) ficz
and jrock fics
:D :D :D :D , they are realli good =D in fact i'm reading one right now. 50 + chapters :p :p

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i just had the shocking realisation that i dont read for pleasure anymore... bloody hell, what has school done to me!?

fave books:
the jesus man - christos tsiolkas
jump cuts - christos tsiolkas
heart of darkness - jospeh conrad
looking for alibrandi
the famous five series :shy:

Rahul

Dead Member
HEART OF DARKNESS

in a way i can appreciate HEART OF DARKNESS, but the fact that they made us read HEART OF DARKNESS in such a bad way made our response to HEART OF DARKNESS rather negative. there were parts in HEART OF DARKNESS which u could enjoy.

readin does not necissarily have to be easy

HEART OF DARKNESS
HEART OF DARKNESS

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
those who like Looking For Alibrandi, have you read Marchetta's new book??
saw it at Angus & Robertson a week ago. Didn't really like the sound of the blurb....

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i read the blurb for it yesterday...

im sure i'll read it, and it sounds a bit heavier than Alibrandi, with the mother having chronic-depression and all...

but the girl is only in year 11, which is a negative :D we are SO above reading about year 11! ;)

elfgal

it looks like a bad ripoff of looking for alibrandi...like, that was a good first book but i was hoping she'd do something different this time, rather than just proving she can articulate the thoughts of a disgruntled italian/australian teenage girl who falls in love and finds herself all over again :rolleyes:

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Originally posted by elfgal
it looks like a bad ripoff of looking for alibrandi...like, that was a good first book but i was hoping she'd do something different this time, rather than just proving she can articulate the thoughts of a disgruntled italian/australian teenage girl who falls in love and finds herself all over again :rolleyes:
actually that's what I was partly thinking. I mean we all know that she wrote alibrandi when she was around 19 or 20 and that was years ago. so whatever happened between then and now? whatever made her decide to publish a book again? why a similar book? why a young adult book instead of a more 'mature' piece of writing?
:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)